“A beautiful hotel at an affordable price” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #17 of 278 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful hotel at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our first time staying at any InterContinental hotel as normally it would be out of our budget but on our two week trip across Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand hotels in KL were at a very decent price.

The InterContinental is at a convenient location, not right in the middle but located next to a RapidKL stop (though transportation in KL is rather average to say the least) and around 10 minutes walk away from the Petronas Towers.

The decor was elegantly designed as reflected in the lobby and room though the bathroom looked a bit forgotten in comparison despite its large size.

The best part of the room was the sofa which was so comfortable I could probably sleep on it. Which leads me onto the sleeping arrangements. We were booked in a room for three using Hotels.com but the front desk said we need to pay an extra charge per night for an extra bed. To my knowledge Hotels.com increases the price of the hotels accordingly so we did not ask for an extra bed and instead the three of us squeezed into two single beds, but this was doable as the beds are of a decent size.

I'm sure many would find the bed itself to be great but the pillows given to me originally were far too soft which made it difficult for me to sleep and therefore I opted for a firmer pillow on our last night for a better experience. All these our rather minor problems that can be changed and shouldn't deter you from booking this hotel.

There are a few other hotels in its price bracket that might be more centrally located (just south of KLCC) but I do recommend InterContinental KL as it is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DamianDC, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
"Dear Asianteentraveller,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you very much for your feedback and recommendation! We are honoured to be one of the best hotels you have stayed in; rest assured we are looking into your comments on the room to ensure our facilities are well-maintained and to maximize guest satisfaction. We hope to have you back again in the near future!

Best Wishes,

General Manager"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here with the family for four nights in the club room, this is with access to club lounge where breakfast is also served and afternoon drinks. Staff is extremely helpfull and will do there best to arrange your requests. Price quality was extremely good. The congierce went through great effort to find a last moment car rental in a period where most cars were sold out due to holiday season. Hotel is situated close to petronas towers and next to subway station - a good place to do most of KLs sightseeing. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2013
"Dear Perkey2002,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for the great recommendation! It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and it is indeed our goal to ensure our guests feel welcomed and have a wonderful stay through the services and facilities offered. Your comments have livened up our spirits and inspire all of us to continuously strive for excellence in providing the best to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warm regards,

General Manager"
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I’ve spent 17 days in July only and that I guess is long enough to judge the hotel.
As a “Royale Ambassador” member, the intercontinental brand has been my first choice of hotel but as the subject implies, I didn’t have good experience during my stay here – it started from the first day. The check-in process was rather sluggish and I was stranded in the lift as they activated my key only for a day (this happened again later to my colleague).
They upgraded my room, which was no better than normal room of other hotels I stayed in KL, but I was denied to the club lounge unlike other Intercontinental hotels and nobody present at ambassador check-in desk.
The staff are quite unfriendly – the stern-faced door men only open door for guests if they’re not busy with chatting to each other and faceless staff look at my when passing by. They look like and work like robots – in other hotels I stayed, if I ask same thing every day for 2-3 weeks, I never have to ask again.
The service was disappointing as well - they didn’t call back they promised, often forgot stocking up minibar, lacks amenities and I was tired of calling for more body shampoo, mouth wash etc.
The breakfast selection was poor and they served coffee just before finish eating.
During checkout, because no instant checkout was available and I couldn’t wait at the ambassador check-in desk forever in the busy morning, I just left my credit card and asked them to send me back my credit card and bills to my home address but I later realize how stupid I was trusting them.
They may have changed the name to Intercontinental but people and the system there are still the old Nokko hotel.
They really have to learn a lesson or two from Shangri-la Jakarta - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294229-d302122-Reviews-Shangri_La_Hotel_Jakarta-Jakarta_Java.html

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Sangjin K,

Thank you for being a Royal Ambassador member and leaving a comprehensive review.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay. Our team pays special to our Royal Ambassador members and deeply regret that we were not able to provide you with the highest level of service our elite members deserve.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Your patronage and support to the hotel are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed here on a whirlwind trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong and of all the hotels I stayed at, this one was by far my favourite.

Upon arrival, I was offered the chance to upgrade at a very, very reasonable cost which I did and I am so glad I did. The grand premiere room I stayed in was absolutely massive - but the real shock was the bed! It was easily the BIGGEST bed I'd ever seen in my life and my gosh, it was unbelievably comfortable. It would have been, lengthwise, easily over 6ft long!

The staff were brilliant. Always willing to help and offered a smile (which I find is rare as most hotel staff I've encountered and rude and abrupt and act like you're disturbing them, even at 5 star hotels I've stayed at!).

The hotel offered a free shuttle on the hour to nearby locations which I used daily and found it extremely convenient. I especially liked the very friendly driver (I believe his name is Teo) who took the time out to give me tips about my safety (female travelling alone).

Room service dishes were delicious and extremely affordable. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Prinners,

Warm Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedbacks on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and your stay in our beautifully furnished and spacious rooms. We are also delighted that you are pleased by the services provided by our wonderful hotel team. This is how it is supposed to be when staying at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. We strive to provide each of our guests with authentic and memorable stay experience through our friendly and helpful service team.

North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My second stay in an Intercontinental and a good experience. From the beginning I found the hotel quite easily with the driving instructions on the site. The location is excellent with the Petronas Towers only a few minutes walk away. Parking was easy and trouble free in the basement and I entered the hotel via the lift into a wonderfully appointed lobby. Of course the initial impression is extremely important and the owners have done a good job here. Overall impression was of cleanliness and friendliness. I cannot comment on the full facilities as I never got chance to try the pool or gym. I did have a light meal in the Bentleys pub which was a really tasty mixed satay, good value at 35 RM.
The room extended the feeling of quality and cleanliness and was light and airy. Being on the 28th floor gave me a very good view through the almost full length window. The work desk was proportionally very good and well positioned in the room. A good selection of media accessories was available around the desk which makes work more pleasureable. Immense amount of worktop and drawers the latter of which is often scarce in hotel rooms. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and a nice interactive lighting and a/c control on the bedside table. The usual iron / board, coffee machine and kettle were available and a full minibar. A couple of simple but very practical and appreciated touches were curtains that actually overlapped affording blackout and a torch in the bedside drawer that was constantly charged and therefore available in the case of a power outage. The bathroom was a delight with a window next to the bath where if you raised the blinds you could watch TV whilst having a bath, the TV sound was also piped to the bathroom. Another nice touch was that through the mirror you could also watch the TV should you so choose!
Breakfast was also trouble free with a good variety of Indian, Malaysian and western choices of well cooked and well presented food. All of the above came in at very reasonable price, in fact I have paid much more for much less in many Western European hotels.
A lovely experience which I would gladly repeat and recommend.

Dear Philip C,

Warm Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for your continuous support and for providing us with the wonderful feedback on the overall hotel facilities and services. We are delighted that you had a lovely stay experience with us and your comments will be communicated to our team as an encouragement to continuously deliver excellent services. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am a returning customer staying around 5 to 8 days a month. Great value RM240.00 per night with an awesome breakfast thrown in. Clean and staff very efficient, if anything over friendly (if that's a complaint)

Dear 1311Pete0007,

Warm Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for continuous support with the InterContinental and taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is indeed pleasing to hear that you had a wonderful time at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur and we are more than happy to extend our best services to you. We look forward to your next stay with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The location is good and central and the staff are pretty decent. For some odd reason the bars all close at midnight which is a bit of a nuisance. The desk are very good. I was very impressed that they managed to get me met from the airport in Jeddah from the Intercon there with one phone call

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear The Z,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your recent stay experience. Customer feedback is vital to the hotel, ensuring the hotel team can continually improve hotel services and offerings. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel...

Phil Riley

Been to InterContinental Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!