“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is so much to like about this hotel. The front desk service is really efficient, and the rooms are nice and bed is comfortable. I stayed at this hotel for two nights recently and have found some things less than perfect, when I expect them to be perfect as this is the Intercontinental.
First issue was that the internet was not working and i phoned staff to help me connect. Eventually the staff gave up and said that he would have to talk to his manager. He never returned.
The second was when I received in room service a meal, but the beer that I ordered was not cold.
Other than these incidents, I would stay at this hotel again. The shower in one of the rooms I stayed in was really powerful and was the best shower in any hotel I have stayed at.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Executive at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear familytraveller5,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, particularly the rooms and service at the front desk. With this being said, we have taken note on your comments regarding the internet and the room service. We apologise for the error and the manner in which this was handled. Rest assured we have taken the time to discuss these incidents with the hotel team members.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel should travel plans bring you to Kuala Lumpur again.

Zoe Chaplin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights at Premier Room. Hotel Intercontinental was definitely a good choice, that was a short stay. Our room was very large, an extend window was excellent for city view, bathroom facilities was modern & stylish as well. Loved this hotel location, only some minutes to Petronas Towner & Suria KLCC shopping. Hotel restaurant with lots of choice at Japanese food & Chinese restaurant. We also loved food here but we also tried to find out some nice restaurant nearby for different experience.

Room Tip: Premier room was excellent, modern
Dear LEEDS U,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay and that you were particularly happy with the rooms and the variety of food on offer.

I trust our friendly and knowledgeable Concierge Team was able to share our "In The Know" local insights and presented some local recommendations.

All of us here look forward to welcoming you again when your travel plans bring you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you once again for your review.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Spacious room with bath, shower and super king bed. Very comfortable and good wifi. Choice or restaurants, Buffett, diverse breakfast and fitness and spa facilities. Next to underground station and walking distance to the twin towers.

Dear Mark Y,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel feedback on your recent stay with us. It is indeed pleasing to hear that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the choice of restaurants and the fitness and spa facilities.

We are more than happy to extend our best services to you and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a fantastic three night stay at this hotel in November. Check in was very efficient and friendly. Due to our Platinum Ambassador status we were upgraded from our basic Club level room to a larger Club level room.

Room was excellent, spacious and bathroom was very large. We ate in the restaurant downstairs on the first evening and the buffet was excellent.

Club lounge was ok - the only slightly negative thing about this hotel. Staff were not proactive in serving drinks or seeing if you needed anything else and there were a few large obnoxious groups using the lounge to conduct business very loudly.

We had breakfast in the ground floor restaurant each morning and it was excellent.

The hotel is well located, it is only a five minute walk to the Towers and 10 mins walk to the big shopping centres.

A special thank you to Nadeeka, the front desk manager who was exceptional and made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jrs84,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, in particular our rooms and buffet selection. It is our pleasure to consistently deliver quality service to our guests and we are pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay. Your comments will be shared with the hotel team members.

With that being said, we have noted your comments on the Club Lounge. We thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Only with feedback can we continue to improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back should your travel plans bring you to Kuala Lumpur again.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very nice location , easy access to the city malls and points of interest.
Friendly staff , and good food.
Upgraded to bigger room , Fruit basket , and got help to plan my short visit .
If it's your first visit to the city , take the "Hop-on , Hop off" Bus . the station is in front of the hotel.
This will give you a very clear idea about KL points of interest.
when you know where to go , use the LRT or Mono rail to save trips time.

Dear Khaled E,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel feedback on your recent stay experience with us. It is indeed pleasing to hear that you had a wonderful time at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur and we are more than happy to extend our best services to you.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that I stay almost 100 nights a year in 8 to 10 Intercontinental hotels per year. This year alone I have stayed at the Intercontinental Bejing, Singapore, Dubai, Seoul, San Franciso, Los Angeles, Alpensia Pyeonchang and of course the Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur. That means I have spent upwards for about 40,000 USD in intercontinental hotel per year EVERY year.

I'll keep this simple... I'm a Royal Ambassador. Invitation only status. highest you can get. I actually have 2 of them not just one. (not exactly an easy feat)

1) Upon check in I waited 30 minutes at the ambassdor desk for some one to greet me
2) They did not prepare for my arrival even thought they claimed they did... How do I know for certain? Well they asked me if I needed smoking room or not... This is not something you ask a person with my particular status. But let say this was over looked.. At prepared arrival also has 2 things. I folder with the checking profile and kesy preped... whih was not done and a welcome letter and basket etc.. in the room which was not present. Which mean they just threw me into the first thing they could find after making me wait 30 minutes to check in. I really hate being mislead / decieved most of all.

they should make an effort to do better in the future. Still will not change my loyalty to the chain but .... this is definitely NOT been a star experience.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were looking forward to a weekend of being totally spoiled at the Intercontinental KL but disappointment started from check in. As an ambassador, we were brought to the ambassador check in table. We were given our room cards to room 2320 and were told we were on a non smoking floor/room. We went to the room and opened up to the stench of nicotine. It was not faint enough to ignore so we called reception straightaway to inform about this. The reception said front desk was busy at the moment and will get back to me while they got housekeeping to come and clean up. So we couldn't unpack or get comfortable as we may have to move rooms very soon after. We were also 15 minutes to the 2pm shuttle service to KLCC and wanted to catch it. After waiting 10 minutes in the cigarette smelling room, I called the reception again and was once again told that front desk was busy and they will get housekeeping to come, when no one showed up in the last 10 minutes. Unwilling to spoil our afternoon plans because of their inefficiency, we left the luggage in the room and went down to the front desk to speak to someone personally.

One staff attended to us and checked that there is another non smoking room available and will switch us over there. We were relieved about that. They assured us that they will move our luggage over and all we have to do was to come to front desk and get the new key cards to the new room that should not have any nicotine smell. Satisfied with this arrangement, we managed to catch the 2pm shuttle bus to KLCC. We were out for a good 6 hours and managed to catch the 8pm shuttle returning from KLCC. Worth commending is the great service by the shuttle bus driver. He was very friendly and chatted with the guests in the van and gave some tips on where was good to eat what kind of local food. It was an enjoyable ride in the van with him.

After getting back to the hotel at almost 9pm, we went to the front desk expecting to get our new key cards but the staff attending to us didn't seem to have a clue what our request was about. He made some checks then reconfirmed that we have a room to switch to but its not ready for us to go in yet ( after 6 hours!) but told us to go back to our original room to wait while housekeeping does another check on the new room. I asked how long do we have to wait, he said 5- 10 minutes. If the room was ready in the last 6 hours, I didn't see the logic of us having to return to our room to wait again. Getting back to 2320, we were once again invited by the stench of cigarettes which meant no housekeeping came in the last 6 hours to do anything about the smell. Our luggage was still in the exact place we left it so obviously no one bothered with moving the luggage during the entire 6 hours too. By this time, I was getting rather perturbed that we have been subjected to such shoddy service since we arrived, They had 6 hours to do alot of things but didn't. We once again hung around the room pacing around as we couldn't unpack, couldn't start eating our packed dinner and couldn't get comfortable as we were meant to move. 15 minutes passed and there was no call nor any staff knocking on our door. We called reception and the voice on the other end sounded irritated that I couldn't wait for when they were available to attend to us. She said she would get front desk to call me immediately. Nothing happened. 7 minutes later I called again. The conversation went like that:

Me: Hi, I'm calling about my room change again. Is it done yet?
She: yes, your room is ready
Me: really? and no one bothered to call to inform which room we are going to? or to provide the key cards to this room?
She: Front desk will contact you shortly
Me: right, thanks.

No apologies. It was my fault for being so impatient. After a few minutes, someone finally rang the bell. It was a porter to shift the luggage. Shortly after, the front desk staff came up to give us our room cards. I briefly told him that 6 hours was really more than enough time to have gotten this settled. He just gave a resigned smile. We were glad to get a new smoke smell free room and proceeded to get comfortable, unpack and have our dinner.

The room on its own is decent. Very spacious and a nicely appointed bathroom. There was a pilow menu and we ordered for 2 firm pillows. We had 2 very very soft pillows brought to us. We just shook our heads and gave up on ever getting any coherence in service in this hotel. Our new room was a connecting room. Sound proofing was not its best feature. Our neighbour next door was slamming his wardrobes and bathroom doors. When he left his room, we could hear the door slam. We could hear the phone ring and him talking on the phone. Conscious of this, we tried to always speak softly in our room.

We took the shuttle service to Bukit Bintang the next day and spent a good 9 hours in that area. Pavillion itself kept us busy for 5 hours and we ventured down to Sungei Wang Lot 10. We kept looking at the hotels there like The Westin and The Ritz Carlton and wished we had stayed there instead. If you missed the last bus shuttle at about 8.20pm from Bukit Bintang, you would have to go back via cab which should cost about RM12.

We checked out on the 3rd day and took a cab ( RM 12) to where our Transtar bus stop was. Had lunch at the Oversea Restaurant ( right opposite the Transtar counter) which had fantastic food and their famous roast pork and char siew( BBP pork).

Intercontinental KL failed to impress and we would probably not return again, especially when there are so many other more well located hotels around with probably better service standards than the one we received.

Room Tip: Best not to have a connecting room. Non smoking floors/rooms do not guarantee smoke free environment...
Dear Junita56,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

First and foremost, please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges during your recent stay with us. We express regret for the delay, the miscommunication in changing rooms and for the manner in which our staff handled this issue. We view this very seriously and have taken this up with the team members to identify areas that require further improvement. We understand and do empathize with your situation and sincerely hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you again.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Zoe Chaplin

Been to InterContinental Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!