“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just returned from a week's stay at the Intercontinental KL.The hotel itself is nice with new lobby and refurbished rooms.We only had one problem during our stay when our airport pick up was missed twice.However the hotel compensated us with a complimentary drop off which was a good gesture.Many thanks to all the staff at the I.C K.L for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a city veiw
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear NavLee,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel feedback on your recent stay experience with us.

It is indeed pleasing to hear that you and your partner had a wonderful time at InterContinental Lumpur and we are more than happy to extend our best services to you and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Nur Farisya Abdul Shukor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed there just recently while attending a relative's wedding. My cousin paid and arranged for the room as a small gift, as I have travelled all the way from Australia to attend it, and was a groomsman.

When I went to check in, I was told that someone had already checked in under my name, so they could not give me any keys. They then tried to call whoever checked in under my name, by calling them on their supplied number that was provided upon check in. The problem being, they kept calling MY number, since they kept looking at the wrong sign in sheet! Instead of calling the room, they kept ringing the person's number, until it finally picked up, where I found out that the wedding photographers were using the room to have a shower, and that the room should be ready for me in about 1hr. It took them over 20minutes just to figure that out...but this was not where I actually got annoyed, since I was fine with using my parent's room to clean up and prepare for the wedding...

I was given the keys by the wedding organiser soon after, and assured that my room should be ready and made, since they had informed the hotel about the arrangement. At 12am that night, after the wedding had finished, I went up to the room and it was filthy. Towels and rubbish was everywhere.

I went down to the reception and told them what happened. The lady behind the counter did not seem very sympathetic and told me she would send housekeeping up. 15minutes later, housekeeping still had not come! I had to go back down and ask what the hell is going on... she rang up housekeeping and asked for the status of them coming to clean my room, and it seemed as if they weren't going to come for a long time, since she had to tell them it was urgent...apparently it didn't seem urgent enough for her to tell them that initially, even though it was past 12am!!! At that point, I was really fed up and asked for another room, since housekeeping clearly wasn't coming for a while. She tapped on her computer here...and there and after a while informed me that there was no more rooms on my floor, but there was a free room on the floor above, although it had a king bed (I had 2 singles since I was staying with my sister). I honestly did not care that it had a king bed because I was so damn tired and had to wake up at 5am the next day to fly back...why she didn't just give me a room on another floor I have no idea, but it really seemed as if she did not care a bit about getting it resolved, and just wanted to shuffle me around. In the end, she didn't even give me that room! She ended up getting another staff member to look to see if a room on that floor was clean...and then I was bundled into that room! That room was clean but smelled very strongly of smoke!

At that point, I was absolutely fed up and just showered and went to bed. I did not want to waste another 45mins or so just to find a room to sleep and shower in, when I had a flight to catch the next day.

It really felt as if she thought I was trying to cheat my way to a better room or something...even though it was past 12am, and I was standing there in my full groomsman outfit, complete with vest and flower on the chest. The problem could have been solved at many points, including just giving me a room in a different floor, instead of mucking around and insisting I get a room on the same floor! Even if they gave me a suite, it's not like it would have made a difference considering I would have been in there for a total of 5hours at most!

I travel quite often, so I know how long it takes people to do things, and the level of service that I should expect. I get far better service in random motels in the middle of Australia, that are maybe rated 3 stars.

To their credit, their beds are amazingly comfortable.

To summarise:
-Reception staff had no idea what was happening with my room, and took forever to find out
-Housekeeping did not clean the room when they were supposed to
-Reception staff did not find it urgent to get my room cleaned...at 12am when it's obviously bed time
-Reception staff took a long time to find another room, since they did not want to move me to another floor for whatever reason
-Replacement room smelled strongly of smoke
-Reception staff worked with no sense of urgency or sympathy and took a LONG time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Pete C,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. First and foremost, please accept our sincere apologies in relation to the experience you received during your recent stay.

Rest assured, we have taken the time to discuss this matter with the hotel team members, ensuring the team members focus on providing memorable experiences for all guests and maintaining the consistent standard of the InterContinental brand.

The team and I hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, the hotel will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel sometime in the near future.

Shanghai Region, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This Hotel is centrally located in the City Centre a few minutes walk away from the Twin Towers.
There is currently (July 2012) some heavy construction going on the streets across the hotel, so make sure you don't get a noisy room at this side. The rooms are generally quite nice.
As exceptionally good I have experienced the service and the professional level of all staff.
Also the breakfast quality and choice was outstanding and really deserves five stars. Also the management and the staff at the breakfast restaurant was absolutely great and very pro.
All in all a well managed 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear driver8888,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel feedback on your recent stay experience at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur.

We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel and your comments will be shared with the hotel team members.

Your comments will definitely inspire all of us to work harder and to strive for excellence in providing the best to our guests.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel soon.Do check us out on Facebook or send us a tweet @InterConKL.

Terima Kasih :)

NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I am a member of the Ambassador program and now have my invitation to Royal Ambassador status. I have stayed at IC's all over the world however I mostly stay in IC's in Asia.

The IC in KL is 3.5 start service with 5 star prices with 4 star rooms. The IC in KL by far the worst service of any IC I have stayed at.

I am told this is because the hotel just changed names and became a IC hotel. They have a long way to go to bring the staff to a IC standard we pay for and expect.

The rooms are small and still smell of rug glue with lots of new construction happening in the hotel ongoing.

I did, twice, make my concerns heard about my room not being refreshed and service properly. One example no tooth brushes. Was told their stock is out but they will try to find some back up stock for my room. That did put one in the next day for a room with two registered guest.

Bottled water in the room was impossible to get replace no matter how many times we asked. The fruits which all the other IC's in asia will refresh each day the IC KL refuses too.

Turn down service was like a quick pull of the curtains, not even fully closed and just moving a corner of the bed cover down not even neatly. Each night the quality of this turn down service changed though looks like a 8 year old preforms this task at this IC.

We were told after bringing all of this up twice to the hotel all of this would be taken care of for our renaming days. And due to our troubles would make a exemption and provide these things for my room.

In the two days that followed this never occurred and we grew tired of trying to get the IC service that we should not even have to ask for in the first place.

We did tip the room staff and bell staff as well nicely. Still this provided no better service.

Food at the hotel is of average quality. Not what you would expect for a IC.

For those wanting a 5 stat hotel stay I can not recommend this IC to you.

Room Tip: Very small rooms for a 5 star and IC level. Most rooms still smell of new carpet glue.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear LivingTheDreamQQ,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur.

In relation to your room comments, I will highlight this matter to the director of housekeeping for her immediate action.

As for the food, we are constantly striving to give the best quality of food to our guests.I will bring this matter to the f&b director and chefs for their attention.

Should you have any further enquiries,please do not hesitate to contact me via my direct line at +603- 2782 6302.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed at this property for 4 nights in July 2012. The property used to be the Nikko and is currently going through a slow renovation and upgrade of the rooms. We booked in an executive suite and was upgraded because of problems. Overall, this property is not bad, but much more room for improvement.

Pros:
- Location, location, location. This property is located at a very good location, near enough to the KLCC, walking distance to Jalan Bukit Bintang and train ride to most other places.
- Pool and gym areas are well maintained and very condusive to relaxing. The pool area is esprically lovely to be around. Unfortunately, a building beside it has the air conditioning unit's out flow exhaust air blowing into the pool area (noise levels are high).
- Chinese and japanese restaurants are very good and of a high quality. Worth giving both a try.
- Staff in the restaurants on the second floor are very polished and work hard to be attentive to diner's needs.
- Rooms sizes range from average (300 sq feet) to much larger in the suite categories.
- Club lounge access is not bad for atmosphere, space and staff. However, the quality of food is poor and odd (kind of neuveau cuisine-like but in a bad way. Should stick to basics and do it well).

Cons:
- Staff appear to be inexperienced in resolving problems or concerns. While many show concern and apologize, none are really able to resolve problems. Staff need much more training around professionalism, problem solving and ensuring guests (especially premium guests) are looked after appropriately.
- We visited the property before booking (on the way somewhere else), met a staff, then made an online booking, and confirmed with staff about arrival and confirmation. Staff confirmed in writing. Upon our arrival a week later, there was no room available. And because some guests requested and paid for late check out, we were without a room till almost 6 pm. Staff should have dealt with this situation better.
- Housekeeping is inconsistent and respond poorly to requests. We had to call housekeeping daily to get rooms made up, cleaned and stocked appropriately. Many times, our suite was made up without complete replacement of items or totally not even going to certain areas of the suite (like the kitchen, dining area and second bathroom)
- Rooms and suites have old furnishings (expect for the parts of the property that have been up-graded). Our suite had very old furnishings. Furthermore, the bedroom in our suite was always quite dark (insufficient lighting).
- Lighting switches were badly organized and difficult to control.

Finally, as the premium chain of the IHG hotel group, this property and others (like the one in Montreal, Toronto and Chicago), should really reflect the level of a better product when compared the other property groupings in this chain (like Holiday Inn - please see my other review).

Room Tip: Lots of consturctions going on around this property. And construction is from 6 am to midnight. So b...
Dear HuarenToronto,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

We have taken the time to discuss this matter with the hotel team members, ensuring the team members focus on providing memorable experiences for all guests and maintaining the consistent standard of the InterContinental brand.

Do rest assure that I have reviewed together with my department heads,director of housekeeping and director of engineering and training manager to implement measures for improvement owing to our guest satisfaction.

Should you have any further enquiries,please do not hesitate to contact me at +603- 2782 6302.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I recently had the occasion to stay at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur and what a great hotel! The service was amazing from the welcome at the entrance to the restaurant team and all throughout the hotel. The refurbishment looks wonderful and very Impressive as you enter and I believe more renovations are underway although you would not realize as it is being with such discretion and no noise! The gym is much better than many other luxury hotels and the poolside area is fantastic to get some quiet time and also very suitable for young families. I would certainly recommend this hotel for any type of visit to KL!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear GlobalCitizen_PB

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your valuable feedback! It is indeed our pleasure to consistently deliver quality service to our guests and I am pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay with us.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Don't forget to check us out on Facebook or send us a tweet @InterConKL.

Terima Kasih :)

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Typical business hotel, huge but a bit old and dull. I had an executive room for double the price I usually pay at another, better, hotel, but didn't even get breakfast included. So not so good value-for-money there. Location is decent with KLCC within walking distance, but beware of motorcycle-borne bag snatchers on the road in front of the hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GM_ICKL, Marketing Communications Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Mr Daniel Johansson,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur!

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies in relation to the experience you received during your recent stay.

According to the Duty Manager ,you've stayed with us from the 10th July 2012 till the 10th July 2012 in our executive.The room rate was high due to our peak period.

I have taken note on the points written and do rest assure that I have reviewed together with my department heads to implement measures for improvement owing to our guest satisfaction. We thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Only with feedback can we continue to improve our service standards.

Nur Farisya Abdul Shukor

Been to InterContinental Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!