“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 278 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brisbane, Australia
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed recently at the Ritz and it was a memorable and wonderful experience, thanks to the staff particularly, and the comfort and the position. Very early during our stay we met Poh Kiat and she deserves very special personal mention for how she operates and provides all that the Ritz should demand in their employees. Superb woman !! Also special thanks to our fantastic butlers, Donald and Josephine who assisted enormously and made everything beautiful (and another young male butler who did a different shift). Thanks for all the wonderful coffees and bikkies, the beautiful aromatherapy baths, the swan towels, the flowers (Josephine) and the memories. After a small personal medical problem, the incredible staff of the Ritz rallied - all of them it seemed - and for the whole time spent there, nothing more could be done to assist in every way to make me comfortable. Special thanks also to the Reception staff, one of whom - can't remember his name - but a huge thank you to him for running around the city searching for a specialised medical item which was needed and which we couldn't find ourselves. We dined a couple of times at a lovely chinese restaurant which was part of the Hotel, which offered superb service, great food at very good prices, particularly for "fine" dining. Spa was lovely, usually had to make appointments but occasionally they could fit me in if I hadn't booked, for small services e.g. foot massage. Beds were great, room was big and beautiful. No view, but who cares. Pool was really nice, but the lobby into the pool area is worthy of note. The staff at the Lobby were very welcoming and showed us these intriguing other two large areas, one for Ladies only, one for Gentlemen only, each area having a private jacuzzi, little lounge rooms with doors for privacy for one person with a television and a reclining chair in each room, washbasins, products, steam rooms etc. Then you go out through the pool lobby and into the hotel's large pool and spa areas. Breakfast was good altho I prefer a full buffet. This hotel supplies what I would call a semi-buffet. For example, you can't just go and get certain items from a bain marie like bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes. You have to order that kind of thing via the waiter. That being said, service was very fast and the food was great. You helped yourself at the buffet to many other things, eg fruit, toast etc. Last but not least, huge thanks to Peter for making us laugh so early in the morning and for looking after us. Thanks for those "special" coffees you made sure we received. All in all, I didn't want to leave, it was the most beautiful hotel, and the staff made it so, as well as the beauty itself of the hotel and the experience of staying at a Ritz Hotel. Thanks Ritz KL. See u again soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I drove from Singapore to KL Ritz Carlton to attend a wedding dinner. While I was full of expectancy at the name I was totally letdown by the car park which reminded me of a dark cave with trolls ready to pounce on you. The tightness of the lanes added to the scariness. And the pillars were many, giving rise to near misses. Recommended car park speed is about 5 kmh and below. Maybe even inches per minute at times.

Ok I am sorry but a car park does not make a hotel. If you came by cab or any other means other than your own car the hotel is very nice. The lobby is not impressive but it was probably done in by the lack of size more than anything else. I guess I got my own impressions whenever I visit the RC at Singapore which has a truly grand lobby. My assumption must be that the RC in KL was formerly owned by someone with a smaller budget? And bought out by the YTL Group and then heavily refurbished?

The room I had was very adequate. Beds were very comfortable and bathrooms were excellent. While my view was the House of Henry Goh I did not really care because I have already formulated my own assessment based on the car park. I was only looking forward to my room and I was not disappointed. The hotel is linked to the very luxurious Starhill Gallery and the JW Marriott. Location wise its very hard to fault because its in the heart of Bukit Bintang and surrounded by all kinds of shopping and entertainment and F and B outlets.

I did not eat at the hotel itself but ate elsewhere (aside from the wedding dinner) and that is where the location really mattered.

I would have given it 5 stars but the car park took 1 star away. The Service was excellent and I was greeted by smiles and polite nods at every turn by the attentive staff. Kudos on that one. I will be back but will not drive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

As I have stayed in Ritz Carlton Singapore some 13 yrs ago, it casted a lasting impression of Ritz in me for the longest time! Thus, when my husband has a business trip to Ritz KL, I still decided to tag along to r&r for the next 4 days even though I know the room pales in comparison with Ritz S'pore after seeing the pictures in tripadvisor.
Yesterday was the 1st night since coming in. However to my annoyance, in the morning from 9-10am, I was awaken to some hacking noise from above. I am dismayed that we should even be given the room when the hotel knew that some renovation work is ongoing. Moreover, the shower door rubber strip was removed thus water gushed out to the middle of the toilet making it very slippery when stepping out of the shower area ( last night my husband actually slipped but luckily did not fall ! )
I made a complaint and the staff have been very pro-active in contacting me which is commendable but expected of Ritz. I was told maintenance was being done on the 10th floor which the staff told me the noise shouldn't travel to where I am staying ( 6th flr ). As of now while writing this review, I am waiting for them to come back to me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Ritz Carlton is consistently a brand/name I trust for business travel and the KL hotel was no exception. The hotel itself was pleasant and the right size for business travel (i.e. not too crowded/large but also not too small to have an effective business center, etc.). Amenities were fine, fitness center was unremarkable but certainly sufficient and my stay was efficient and pleasant. The location is about 20 minutes away from the main business district (basically in a shopping area) but close enough subject to traffic. Check-in/check-out were not quick but not overly slow, pleasant and friendly though not particularly efficient. Did not have a chance to try the restaurants.

My only real quibble is that the overal decor in the hotel and the rooms is somewhat old/faded and verging on dingy. Not something that really impacts one on a business trip but it does affect the atmosphere and probably would make it not my first choice for holiday travel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I love Ritz Carlton KL you can feel being pampered and taken care of the moment you stepped in to their hotel. People at the Ritz are very professional, warm, articulate and can feel the sense of pride when they do their job. They were nice enough to give is a complementary upgrade to executive room and allow us to check out as late as 3:00pm. Our flight is at 9:00pm and was offered the use of their shower, pool and sauna while trying to pass our time. The hotel is near the Pavillion and Star Gallery. Many nice restaurants you can choose from. From the butler, front desk, down to the concierge service is truly amazing!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The excellent service started the minute we walked through the hotel doors. The front desk clerk who checked us in - Charles, wished my husband a happy birthday in advance (his birthday was the next day) - a very nice touch. Everyone was friendly and very accomodating, from the front desk, to the concierge, butlers and room service executives. They all went out of their eay to make out stay a pleasant one - not only meeting, but anticipating our needs. The rooms were also comfortable and clean, and it is located in a central location.

But most of all, kudos to the staff for making this a memorable stay and making us want to make Ritz a hotel of choice when visiting KL.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Repton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Well up to the expected standards of a Ritz Carlton in terms of accommodation and service.

We were traveling with our 2 daughters (aged 7 and 12) and were disappointed that the better of the 2 pools was out of bounds to under-16's. The second pool is partially under-cover and soulless. I could understand this rule being enforced if I had a couple of screaming toddlers who were disrupting the adults around the spa pool but on the day we were there the spa pool was empty and yet my two girls (who were swimming quietly with me watching) were asked to move to the second pool (also empty). It seemed a little petty.

Although I wouldn't visit again with my daughters this is a good business/couples hotel in a good location.

Stayed February 2012

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!