“Good hotel but bad experience with reservations” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #24 of 264 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Good hotel but bad experience with reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

During a working trip to kl, i decided to try the jw marriott due to its proximity to my course venue. Here arr my experiences.

Pros:
- fabulous location at the heart of bukit bintang
- great food
- rooms are clean and comfortable with good amenities
- staff is friendly and helpful. They even arranged for a taxi for my night trip back to the airport

Cons:
- i planned to extend my stay after my course and had this confirmed by the hotel (by email) a week prior to my arrival. I also confirmed at the counter during check in. However during my extended stay, i found myself locked out of my room. After calling the front countet and waiting for someone for 15.minutes at my room floor, i was asked to return to the counter only to find that they were not 'informed' about my extended stay. I did not appreciate that i had to confirm this fact 3 times and would have expected an establishment such as the jw marriot to be able to handle such situations with much more finesse...and that reservations were communicated within the organisation more efficiently.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

792 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great swimming pool, spa & sauna. Spa was very quiet and enjoyable, there was no one else around in the mornings, Good rooms with a view over the city. Efficient service with both check in and check out. Good selection of food at breakfast. Great location, walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Lively area where JW is where the hear of Kuala Lampur is. You will never get bored at anytime everything is just close, you are walking distance from the twin towers. Cafés, malls and shops are all over. If you are addicted to shisha like me, so that's the place. The hotel device is good can't complain about it. It's just the typical JW room in every where you go. The old classic traditional room. But the service is hood, people are helpful and smiling.

Stayed May 2014
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Luay1944,

Thank you for taking the time to write us your valuable feedback.

I am glad that your recent stay with us was pleasant. I will be sure to share your review with the team on how our actions have made a significant impact on your visit to Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We decided to spend our anniversary with a short weekend at The Marriott as we had a complimentary night's stay voucher that was due to expire, and we thought that we shouldn't waste it.

We weren't sure what to expect due to the complimentary voucher and thought that we might get a slightly sub-standard room or even poor service.

However we were pleasantly surprised. We were attended to by Reza at the front desk, who was very polite and friendly. He was also very observant and offered to get me some medication from the in-house clinic for my very bad flu.

We checked in without much issue although our key card didn't work and we had to go back downstairs to get it sorted. But this isn't a real problem for us cause these things happen from time to time with electronic keys and we have had it happen at many hotels.

Our room was just a standard room, but as Marriott is an older hotel, it was a lot more spacious than the newer hotels. It was tastefully decorated and had a lovely, large bathroom. Everything was also very clean which is of utmost importance to us.

We had everything we needed in the room:

- really nice toiletries
- a proper hair drier - not one of those awful ones that are attached in the bathroom
- more towels than you need
- plush bathrobes and bedroom slippers
- a clothes brush and shoe horn
- tea and coffee making facilities with some nice teas
- a safe deposit box
- 2 umbrellas for our use during our stay

We stepped out for a few hours and came back to find a lovely fruit platter in our room and the bed turned down for us.

The location of the hotel is excellent as it is right in the Bukit Bintang shopping area. It is directly connected to the luxury shopping centre, Starhill; and just across the road from the Pavillion shopping mall. You can easily walk to all the other shopping malls in the area too.

We only had one very small problem - the air-conditioning in the room wasn't quite adjustable. It got a bit warm in the middle of the night and we could only adjust the temperature dial (although we weren't quite sure if the temperature was actually adjusted) but not the fan. So the fan could only be set to low or off. Essentially if we put the fan up to medium or high, it would just turn the air-conditioning off. We didn't bring this up though as we were only there for one night. But that could have been a problem if we had to stay for a few nights. So we just settled with it for the night.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and all the staff were friendly and courteous. We would definitely come back as paying guests and would recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Baby_Cleo,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you and your partner were very well taken cared off during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team, especially with Reza, our Chief Concierge on how he has made a positive impression on your stay with us.

I do, however, would like to sincerely apologise for the air-conditioned issue you had experienced. Trust that your comment has been duly noted and addressed to the respective departmental leaders concerned with further plan for improvements.

Once again, we truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us as this helps us to focus on the areas on which we need to improve.
Thank you and we are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" soon.

Batam, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed in Marriott couple of times, and the most recent stayed was during Chinese New Year.
Room was amazing, Chinese Restaurant is Amazing, Location is brilliant but only one let down. The check in service, it took us long enough to wait for check in, we arrived shortly after 2pm, and we waited for more than 45 mins for check in, probably because of the peak seasons.

In addition to our disappointment, the reservation staff messed out our second reservation, we made 2 different reservations with the reservation staff by phone a month before and everything was confirmed, confirmation email was also sent to us.

So while waiting for our room, i double checked with the front desk staff regarding our second reservation (which is 4 days after our initial stay) and front desk agent informed us that there is only 1 room reserved under our name, we were shocked as we have booked for 4 rooms. At the end, the front desk agent managed to add in 3 other rooms in that reservation. But i was wondering what if i didn't check with them, maybe we would have to squeeze 8 adults in a room?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Dino M,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback of the hotel.

I am really disappointed to read about your unpleasant arrival experience at the hotel. I completely agree that it was not the 5-star hotel experience that we have promised to our guests. I do fully empathize with your situation and truly sorry that you had to suffer from this situation.

Trust that I have personally shared your experience with the respective leaders to avoid similar incidents in the future. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us as it helps us to focus on the areas in which we need to improve to serve you better on your next visit.

However, I am delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time while dining in our Shanghai Restaurant. I will be sure share your positive words of encouragement with the team on how we have made your dining experience memorable.

We do hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.
Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

phuket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Close to twin towers and Jalan Ampang for the ones need to be close from Embassy and city centre, JW Marriott has two wing, I advice to choose the one facing the twin towers, I was staying in the boutique suite, and I greatly appreciated the quietness of this floor, rooms are well equipped with all necessary amenities, they are old fashioned but comfortable. I appreciated the fast check-in, in fact I arrived there earlier than the 14.00 o'clock check-in time, I just ask if the room is ready , if not I will go anyway to have my lunch at the Buffet, reception informed me, than If I want to proceed with my check-in, is possible right now , what I did, and came back to have lunch, this day I wasn't so lucky, hotel has a seminar and restaurant was busy and noisy, but food was good. In the afternoon I went up to my room and has nap, I was again surprised, the floor staff bring me newspaper, biscuit and bottle of Perrier water. Thanks to the management it was very pleasant. At few pace of my room was a floor lounge, with espresso coffee machine, you sip your coffee sitting at few hundreds meters of the Twin towers, with no others building in front of you, so nice show , specially in evening. Breakfast buffet is good has any other JW Marriott. Check out was smooth and fast. Overall a nice stay with friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: Choose the wing facing twin towers