“PERFECT LOCATION FOR SHOPPING” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #22 of 268 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“PERFECT LOCATION FOR SHOPPING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We decided to spend our anniversary with a short weekend at The Marriott as we had a complimentary night's stay voucher that was due to expire, and we thought that we shouldn't waste it.

We weren't sure what to expect due to the complimentary voucher and thought that we might get a slightly sub-standard room or even poor service.

However we were pleasantly surprised. We were attended to by Reza at the front desk, who was very polite and friendly. He was also very observant and offered to get me some medication from the in-house clinic for my very bad flu.

We checked in without much issue although our key card didn't work and we had to go back downstairs to get it sorted. But this isn't a real problem for us cause these things happen from time to time with electronic keys and we have had it happen at many hotels.

Our room was just a standard room, but as Marriott is an older hotel, it was a lot more spacious than the newer hotels. It was tastefully decorated and had a lovely, large bathroom. Everything was also very clean which is of utmost importance to us.

We had everything we needed in the room:

- really nice toiletries
- a proper hair drier - not one of those awful ones that are attached in the bathroom
- more towels than you need
- plush bathrobes and bedroom slippers
- a clothes brush and shoe horn
- tea and coffee making facilities with some nice teas
- a safe deposit box
- 2 umbrellas for our use during our stay

We stepped out for a few hours and came back to find a lovely fruit platter in our room and the bed turned down for us.

The location of the hotel is excellent as it is right in the Bukit Bintang shopping area. It is directly connected to the luxury shopping centre, Starhill; and just across the road from the Pavillion shopping mall. You can easily walk to all the other shopping malls in the area too.

We only had one very small problem - the air-conditioning in the room wasn't quite adjustable. It got a bit warm in the middle of the night and we could only adjust the temperature dial (although we weren't quite sure if the temperature was actually adjusted) but not the fan. So the fan could only be set to low or off. Essentially if we put the fan up to medium or high, it would just turn the air-conditioning off. We didn't bring this up though as we were only there for one night. But that could have been a problem if we had to stay for a few nights. So we just settled with it for the night.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and all the staff were friendly and courteous. We would definitely come back as paying guests and would recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Baby_Cleo,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you and your partner were very well taken cared off during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team, especially with Reza, our Chief Concierge on how he has made a positive impression on your stay with us.

I do, however, would like to sincerely apologise for the air-conditioned issue you had experienced. Trust that your comment has been duly noted and addressed to the respective departmental leaders concerned with further plan for improvements.

Once again, we truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us as this helps us to focus on the areas on which we need to improve.
Thank you and we are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" soon.

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Batam, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed in Marriott couple of times, and the most recent stayed was during Chinese New Year.
Room was amazing, Chinese Restaurant is Amazing, Location is brilliant but only one let down. The check in service, it took us long enough to wait for check in, we arrived shortly after 2pm, and we waited for more than 45 mins for check in, probably because of the peak seasons.

In addition to our disappointment, the reservation staff messed out our second reservation, we made 2 different reservations with the reservation staff by phone a month before and everything was confirmed, confirmation email was also sent to us.

So while waiting for our room, i double checked with the front desk staff regarding our second reservation (which is 4 days after our initial stay) and front desk agent informed us that there is only 1 room reserved under our name, we were shocked as we have booked for 4 rooms. At the end, the front desk agent managed to add in 3 other rooms in that reservation. But i was wondering what if i didn't check with them, maybe we would have to squeeze 8 adults in a room?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Dino M,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback of the hotel.

I am really disappointed to read about your unpleasant arrival experience at the hotel. I completely agree that it was not the 5-star hotel experience that we have promised to our guests. I do fully empathize with your situation and truly sorry that you had to suffer from this situation.

Trust that I have personally shared your experience with the respective leaders to avoid similar incidents in the future. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us as it helps us to focus on the areas in which we need to improve to serve you better on your next visit.

However, I am delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time while dining in our Shanghai Restaurant. I will be sure share your positive words of encouragement with the team on how we have made your dining experience memorable.

We do hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.
Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

phuket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Close to twin towers and Jalan Ampang for the ones need to be close from Embassy and city centre, JW Marriott has two wing, I advice to choose the one facing the twin towers, I was staying in the boutique suite, and I greatly appreciated the quietness of this floor, rooms are well equipped with all necessary amenities, they are old fashioned but comfortable. I appreciated the fast check-in, in fact I arrived there earlier than the 14.00 o'clock check-in time, I just ask if the room is ready , if not I will go anyway to have my lunch at the Buffet, reception informed me, than If I want to proceed with my check-in, is possible right now , what I did, and came back to have lunch, this day I wasn't so lucky, hotel has a seminar and restaurant was busy and noisy, but food was good. In the afternoon I went up to my room and has nap, I was again surprised, the floor staff bring me newspaper, biscuit and bottle of Perrier water. Thanks to the management it was very pleasant. At few pace of my room was a floor lounge, with espresso coffee machine, you sip your coffee sitting at few hundreds meters of the Twin towers, with no others building in front of you, so nice show , specially in evening. Breakfast buffet is good has any other JW Marriott. Check out was smooth and fast. Overall a nice stay with friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: Choose the wing facing twin towers
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

it was in 2010. building was old... but a very well maintained hotel.

one of my personal favorite hotel.

location... breakfast... services all are the best.

i remember we came from flight and landed to hotel.. they got 10 mints late for check in.. so to server us well they upgraded us to suit room...

JW marriot have always good servies!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Farazsaadi,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking the time to write you review.

I am delighted to learn that we are your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur. We are delighted to have you staying with us. I will be sure to share your positive words of encouragement with the team on how our actions have made your visit here comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you once again for your valuable comment and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

South India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Malaysia is one of many charming south east asian nations that still retains some sort of nativity .The capital Kuala Lumpur gets top billing with the world's capitals and is a modern and charming city.
In the upsacle area of K.L known as jalan bukit bintang(and jalan means street/road)is a world class, all too familiar place - the j.w marriot.The j.w marriot hotel,K.L is a reasonanly big building.The lower level of this building houses a uber-cool art gallery/arty area.There are also several restaurants,all in a same sprawling hall close to this gallery and forming the lower ground(basement) areas of the hotel above.Chances are that if the room rate includes breakfast, one will be likely told to visit these restaurants for buffet breakfast.
The hotel has an impressive and well lit lobby and front desk/reception area.There is also the facility of a concierge there, as would be expected.A group of room card-operated lifts take one to one's room.Once in the room, depending on the category of the room, one would find all the essentials that is expected of a luxury brand such as the marriot - cleanliness, aircon, t.v with several channels, a tea and coffee area, a nice washroom, integrated phone etc.They also have a decent room service menu (for those couch potatoes that want to stay in their rooms and watch t.v or perhaps those tired travellers that just don't want to leave their rooms).
Directly opposite the hotel, a swanky mall exists that is truly world class and houses most major branded stores and the like.There is also an excellent food court in the lower level(lower ground or basement) of the mall with a huge and truly mouth watering variety of restaurant and food options.I visited this juggernaut of a food court with a greater frequency than I did the hotel basement restaurants.So if hotel food is not for you,you know where to head.Of course,the food in this food court is not all that cheap ( the food court belongs to a luxury mall).So, take care of those expenses.
In all, the j.w marriot in k.l offers a peaceful and pleasurable stay.There could be a few aspects of the hotel experience that needs tweaking.Then again,there is scope for improvement in many a hotel in the world.If one's budget allows,I would recommend this place for the luxury and also for the location - right in the hub of upscale K.L.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Skaf M, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Wiggytunes,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your second review.

We truly appreciate you sharing your valuable thoughts with us as we continue to strive to provide the best products and service to our customers. I will definitely share your comments with the team on how we have made such a huge positive impression on your stay in Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" soon.

Warmest Regards,
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a 2 night city break on our way back to London and the location couldn't have been better for this type of visit.

Right in the middle of the shopping district, the hotel itself sits within the beautiful Starhill Gallery shopping mall and is literally 2 mins from all the other retail hot spots as well as being within easy walking distance of the Petronas Towers.

The hotel itself was well equip and spacious with a lovely big bathrooms in even their standard rooms - staff were friendly and helpful, always happy to assist whenever we needed direction or recommendations etc.

Overall this is a great hotel in the perfect location, classically beautiful and within easy reach of everything for tourists.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear HolidayKel,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you were very well taken cared of whilst you stay in Kuala Lumpur. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team on how we have made a positive impression on your experience with us.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Excellent location front of the luxury Pavillion shopping centre with a lot of restaurants, foodcourt, Connecting to the Starhill Gallery..We came at 9 a.m.,and we can directly used the room.
We stay 3 nights in this hotel and we were satisfied for our stay in this hotel.. Friendly staff.
Spacious somewhat dated room, beautiful bathroom,complete amenities,out of date bath tube.
Free internet service. Next time I will stay again in this hotel especially due to the location... .

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room, window not to the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Essenhongkong,

Warmest Greetings from JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to read that your recent stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable. I will definitely share your feedback with the team on how our actions have made a significant impact on your hotel experience with us.

Thank you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!