“Much better places to stay in KL” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bird Nest Guest House I to your Saves list
Bird Nest Guest House I
135, 1ST Floor, Jalan Petaling, Kuala Lumpur 50000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #11 of 267 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
“Much better places to stay in KL”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were recommended birds nest 2 by a traveller we met so we were looking forward to our stay.

We walked in and from first glance it seemed great, really cute communal areas and very cosy.

We stayed in a three bedroom family room, room was very small, one bed looked like a pop up camp bed and extreamly uncomfortable. Room wasn't air conned, but did have two fans but sleeping in the room was unbearable. On going to sleep we only seemed to have a small towel on the beds, so we asked the guy for a sheet or if the towel was it, he was really rude and very reluctantly gave us sheets for the bed. The bedding given was more like floor mats and they smelt of toilet cleaner. Needless to say we didn't use these.

When asking for directions on how to get to our next stop the guy I believe his name was Willi was rude and lacked interest.

Also we paid on arrival as soon as we got to the hostel, throughout the evening were asked three more times by another guy to pay and wouldn't accept that we had paid on arrival. Very bad communication between staff and really embarrassing having to explain every time that we had paid.

Another point that we were really unhappy about was that we were given a three bed private family room for the three of us, with a key to lock the door. We went out for tea and when we came back our room had been opened with another key and the door left open!!

On a positive note the WiFi is very good.

To sum up we would not recommend this hostel and we were very disappointed. Matahari lodge a few doors down is much better.

Room Tip: Choose air con room
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Staff were friendly, chatty and helpful especially as I was stopping on my way through and was alone.

Room and bathrooms were clean and a nice communal area for cooking. Security was also very good and made me feel safe in a new country.

Although would strongly recommend getting aircon as very very hot!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

+++ Clean, comfy rooms
+++ Great staff
+++ Great place to meet new people
++ Located in the middle of China Town, at walking distance from the bird park, national mosque.

Our last few days in Kuala Lumpur we stayed at a really fancy airbnb, but we really missed the Birdnest!! It's really a great place to stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Swornegacie, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

we stayed at the bird's nest II guesthouse and loved it so much, that we just had to extend our stay... and are going back there the next time (very soon) when we're in the city. Cozy interiors, amazing helpfull staff, comfy beds and loads of interesting people.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bromma, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

No, I did NOT stay at this guesthouse. I just "came" looking for a friend of mine. I understand that your guesthouse is one of many guesthouses/hostels in Kuala Lumpur that imposed "NO Malaysians" or "NO locals" policies and unfortunately (not sure if this is the right word to use to describe the incident) for me, although I am an Aussie, just because I look like the Malay/local (back in Australia, people thought I am the "Islander", which is fine) the receptionist "denied" me with angry + sour face and gave me a hand signal of something like "NO" or "GO AWAY!" from the 1st floor; forced me to shout at her from outside "I am not coming here to stay, I am looking for my friend".

Dear BirdNest, you know what? I could describe you in one word which is RUDE and I would describe you as RUDE if anyone ever mention your guesthouse name in my face. And probably RACIST, too. Glad I decided to stay in a guesthouse that listed as #2 for B&B/Inn in Kuala Lumpur which is way more friendlier and nicer instead of following my friend to your RUDE and RACIST establishment.

Believe in power of "words of mouth"... I am an avid traveler, I am travel blogger, and your hostel definitely going to be listed as one of the worst. Good luck.

Room Tip: If you having a Malay/local features on you, ignore this hostel. They discriminate you although you...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

I stayed in a dorm room, which would have been tight and noisy (creaky beds!) were it full but luckily I had the whole room to myself got four days.

The accommodation is very basic but it's clean and comfortable, the courtyard is a great to chill out and the wifi is strong. It's in a great location, right outside Pasar Seni bus and train station.

The real gem is Willie, the owner, who's always around for a chat and a beer. Will definitely be back.

Stayed September 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The best feature of this place is it's beautiful little courtyard. A very nice escape from the bustle of Kuala Lumpur Chinatown.

Our room was simple but fine for the price.
The owner did seem a little bit picky about who stayed there. There were mostly couples while we were there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bird Nest Guest House I? Share your experiences!