“Perfect backpacker spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Perfect backpacker spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Birdnest Guesthouse is a great place for backpackers. My wife and I stayed here for four days in a private room with a bunk bed. At 35RM/night for the room, it's the cheapest place we've seen in KL. If you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere, as Birdnest is definitely a no-frills, strictly basics backpacker spot. But there's free wi-fi, friendly and helpful staff, free coffee and tea, and like the best backpacker spots, the place really creates a great, laid-back atmosphere for meeting and socializing with other travelers.

Many of the rooms only have windows that open to the inside corridor, so if you don't set an alarm, it's easy to sleep until noon! The location is excellent, a stone's throw from the major metro lines in KL. The only downsides for us were that the only two toilets/showers sometimes weren't enough when many people were waiting, and also the staff seemed to be absent a lot of the time, though when they were there they were extremely pleasant and helpful. All in all, the goods far outweighed the bads for us, and if we return to KL (and we hope to), we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed at Birdsnest a number of times during various ventures through KL.
It ticks all the boxes for us.
It is clean and cheap. In a very good Chinatown location. It is basic yet still provides all the necessary amenities (towels, laundry, kitchen, hot drinks, hot showers, social area and a cat). Best of all is the advice and helpfulness provided by the staff, in particular by Willie.
We planned some onward destinations through the advice of Willie, it seems that he has great knowledge and a host of contacts across Malaysia.
For us one of the most important things about the accommodation you choose to stay in is the service provided by the staff to ensure you make the most of the place you're visiting. Birdsnest has got this service perfect.
For people looking for a more upmarket stay, there are a few things that may bother you. The hostel has a friendly yet smelly cat. The smell seems to only be hovering around the entrance, hold your breath and dash through! A few things around the place are a bit worn and in a state of repair (toilet flushing handles, some of the fans) but it is important to realise that this is a cheap and basic guesthouse.
For us the service provided outweighs any little niggles or annoyances that may bother a more picky type of guest.
Thank you Birdsnest!

Room Tip: Aircon rooms are good value if travelling as a couple, they are at RM50, can go as cheap as RM15 in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

it was the second stay at the birdnest for me and I still love it. I was coming from Australia where I paid 70 $ for a poor double room in a loud hostel with WiFi what wasn't working. the birdnest is exactly the opposite. It is very nice and cheap and has such a nice atmosphere, good to relax and have a chat to other travellers. The location is great and whatever you need is nearby (food, shops, transport, nightlife). And there is the friendly and helpful owner Willi & staff. Definitely a good value for the money and not that overpriced like other hostels. I definitely will come back!

• Stayed April 2013
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

If you like a convivial environment with a nice living room, outside area and sharing with people or just relax, it`s definitely the place to stay.
And if you are traveling on budget it s not a problem because it s also very cheap, 15RM for a dormitory, free tea, coffee, fridge, wifi...and smile!!! Without to forget the owner(Wili) and his staff very nice, helpful, friendly and carefully people!
Any question about the city...just ask and you will always have best answer about visits, transport, prices...
If you are curious, let`s have a look, come and check by yourself ;)
I really love this place and people and any time I would be in KL I will be here for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for a week in March, decent room, had a fan, towel, exactly what I needed. Is extremely affordable, the owner will always greet you by name and ask how you are, is fantastic for information on the area and all the staff are helpful and friendly. They have a hillarious cat, and two iguana's(they're in a cage).

It's located 5 minutes from the train station(which is extremely cheap to catch around) and 30seconds away from Chinatown. All in all a great hostel, definatly heading back here when I'm back in KL.

Room Tip: Pretty sure the doublebedroom has an aircon instead of a fan, but is slightly more expensive.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
gausdal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a very good time at birdnest guesthouse. So good that we came back our second visit in Kuala Lumpur. Willie is a great guy who gave us tip about where to travel in Malaysia.
After traveling for a long time it was nice to be able to make your own breakfast in the kitchen. Jackie the cat was also a big plus. Perfect location in Chinatown.
It is also very clean and has good showers. Thanks Willie. We will see you again next time we go to KL.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed in different geusthouses in KL before I found the bird nest and i'm not lying if I say it is the best geusthouse in KL. A perfect location, close to the busstation and several different skyline station. It's in the middle of Chinatown but not right in the middle of the markets so there is no hassle when you want to go out the door, it's nice and quit :)
I stayed here many times and it became my home on my travels. The rooms are clean and all with fan and 2 with arcon. The Dorm is perfect with 4 beds and a window that looks over the street. They have a fridge and a small kitchen where you can cook anything you like. The staff is really friendly and Willi always finds time to answer you're quistions about anything you want to know. What this geusthouse makes it so special for me is the atmosphere. They have 2 common area's, one inside and one outside. both are nice decorated. Inside it looks like a real livingroom, with things on the wall and a bookcase where you can exchange books. Outside it is like a garden with a nice sitting area and a lot of green plants! Its cosy and really nice to just hang out after a day exploring the city or to exchange you're travel stories with the other travellers. There are always nice travellers to talk to!
Ow, I almost forgot the hot shower, free wifi and use of computer and the free coffee&thee!
I can talk a long time over the nice and special moments I had in this geusthouse but i will keep it short;

Stay at the bird nest I'm sure you will love it!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bird Nest Guest House I? Share your experiences!