“The best cooking experience in KL! Jens Homegrown Cooking academy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy

Ranked #24 of 86 activities in Kuala Lumpur
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: What do you do when guests ask where the best place to eat is? Why, the best local food is always home cooked. Our Homegrown Tourist Cooking Classes will now be held every Tuesday and Wednesday. The Academy has two cooking slots: morning (10.00 am with lunch) and evening (5.00 pm with dinner). Guests who’d like to visit and experience shopping at the local market can opt for a morning session at 9:00 am. Show your guests the best in culinary hospitality; bring them home to Jen’s Homegrown Cooking Academy.
london
“The best cooking experience in KL! Jens Homegrown Cooking academy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Me and my girlfreind are both 'cookaholics' with a fondness for Asian cuisine so during our recent stay in KL we naturally wanted to try out an authentic maylasian cooking course.

We only found out about Jens cooking academy while we actually were in KL and not before we got there so we contacted Jen in the hope that we could make a last minuite booking.
Jen and Natasha quickly and kindly called us back at the hotel and were able to arrange an evenings cooking for the two of us at short notice.

We have travled a fair ammount of Asia and taken part in many cooking courses but The cooking academy at Jens was really something special.

I would describe it more of a cooking experience than a class as we got to experience so much more than just cooking. We got a snap shot of everything from Malasian culture, living and lifestyle to the history of the country and its develoment. Oh and of course malaysian food and making and getting to eat the fantastic home cooked dishes :)

On arrival we were met and greeted by Jen who introduced us to Natasha, Brabon and family who gave us a very warm welcome into their home.

In the kitchen we worked with different family members who would take turns guide us through various stages to create their own individual dishes that can accompany Nasi Lemak.

Starting with Brabons 'fast and furious' salad, followed by Natashas seasoned turmeric chicken wings. Next up was Brabons Sambal (My personal favorite) followed by Jen's Ikan Billis with and then her Nasi lemak. All of this was rounded off with some smaller accopnaniments to the meal.

Each stage of the cooking process was really well explained and made to be fun and relaxed as we would talk and joke as we cooked which made the experience all the more enjoying. The preparation of each item was cooked in an order that enabled everything to be ready to serve as a complete meal.

After all the cooking was done we all sat down together to try out the Nasi lemak and accompanying dishes we had created. The food was excellent and the company great as we were made to feel like part of the family all eating together and chatting away about everything and anything. Just after the food was finished Jen Brought out one last suprise in the form of pisang goreng (Fried bananas) with ice cream which was the best dessert to cool down those amazing spices!

At the end of the evenning all of the recipes we cooked were to be emailed to us which was a great idea as we didnt have any papers to carry around for the rest of out trip which could get damaged or lost.

All in all this was the best cooking class that i have taken part in compared with the numerous other ones i have tried during my travels throughout asia over the last 5 years.

A big thanks To Jen and family for your warm hospitality and excellent recipes!

We would both thoroughly reccomend the Jens homegrown cooking academy to anyone Visiting KL!!

Rob

P.S. did i mention that Brabons sambal is really good! :)

Airlie Beach, Australia
“Great People, Great Food, Fabulous Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I had such a fabulous time at Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy. I'm from the United States and this was my first cooking class. I met Jen and her family at Jen's Underground Supper Club (also great) and from there got a chance to join the cooking class. We learned how to prepare nasi lemak, a traditional Malaysian dish.

Jen, her husband Brabon and daughter Natasha conducted the class for me and one other guest. They were simply great. Before we started preparing the meal, Jen talked about the origins of the recipe, the culture, how you might find this dish served elsewhere, and why they prepare it in such a particular way.

We were given a brief walk-through on the different elements we would be preparing and introduced to all of the fresh ingredients we'd be using. We would be making rice with coconut cream, Brabon's famous "fast and furious" salad, baked turmeric chicken, and sambal, or "miracle sauce."

Jen, Brabon and Natasha took turns walking us step-by-step through each stage of the process, carefully explaining the methods their family has been using for years. Being my first time they were very patient with me, but I didn't feel like anything was "dummied down" either.

Once the meal was completed we sat down and enjoyed it together. Wow! What a treat. The nasi lemak was exquisite. Not only that, but the company was great as well. They were quite fun and we really felt like part of the family. As they say, "our fans become our friends and our friends become our fans."

Finally, Natasha also offered to email the recipes to us after the class, which was nice because I didn't have to worry about writing everything down while we were cooking.

Overall I just had a fantastic experience and I couldn't recommend Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy any higher. See for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

london uk
“Amazing Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spend an evening cooking with Jem and family. They were very hospitable and we learnt some amazing dishes.
The nasi lemak and accompaniments were great.
The best cooking experience we have had.

Visited April 2012
“Excellent, fun and soo tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy Review:

Coming from Australia to KL you soon realize (after tasting the local cuisine) that there is a great deal to learn about the art of cooking. So when my brother and I were presented with the opportunity to learn a traditional Malaysian dish we were rather excited. The dish my brother and I were to cook was Nasi Lemak, which we learnt meant (in the most literal terms) "Rice" & "Fat". So a rich tasting rice dish was in order (just my kind of dish).

The cooking process was unique, a blend of generic culinary lessons with a homely touch. Mommy, Daddy and Daughter all had their turn in teaching the inexperienced Aussies how to get through each phase of the process. Very much like the chapters in a book each person had a different side dish to teach. Nasi Lemak had its rice, its meats and then the various side dishes. One of the greatest parts of the lesson was learning the unique ways to make all the dishes. From the coconut rice to the turmeric chicken, there are techniques you learn that will stick with me for a very long time.

I would recommend anyone to have lessons and meals from Jen (and company) as the food and experiences I had with them have been some of the most profound in my life. The homely feel of the class and area are a great environment for fun and learning (and very very full tummies).

So if you have an oppurtunity to learn from Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy don't pass it up. Cause you won't regret it, and if you are like me (a burden on the culinary front at home) your family and partner won't regret it either.

Alessandro Frosali