“great price/quality choice” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Serenity Hostels to your Saves list
Serenity Hostels
Serenity Hostels
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   20 Jalan Changkat | Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur 50200, Malaysia (Formerly Serenity Bed & Breakfast)   |
Shanghai, China
“great price/quality choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

excellent price/quality relationship, and the staff and management are really super nice!!! the dorms and the toilets are extremely clean, and even though the dorm did not have windows and there were eight beds, it was not stuffy, the aircon was very silent and worked perfectly. the road is very busy with bars, but you do not hear anything in the room

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice hostel to stay for budget travelers. Hot water,wi-fi, very attractive price, comfortable lobby and common place to communicate with other travellers. Location is not bad, 10 mins walk from monorail station.

Room Tip: better take highfloor, they are quitier
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Really nice hostel in a perfect location, and specially really friendly staff! The rooms are really comfortable and clean, and you will be just 20 minutes walk to the petronas towers.
Also, if you later wanna take a bus to langkawi or thailand, the hostel is really close to the bus station.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Not many places have entertained me this much, the blankets are like towels which is a devo, toaster does not work unless you wedge a utensil into it to hold it down (apparently due to customers who butter bread and put it in) what the hell is that all about absolute goons! its right in the middle of the nightclubs which is great for going out saves on taxis, if you want a quiet nights sleep may struggle with noise but it didn't bother me....on the whole the hostel in general is basic but with a good free breakfast and the fact that the staff were hilarious Anwar had me loling all morning then im giving it 5 stars staff made it without doubt for 25rm a night its a steel in KL :)

Daryl, Isle of Man

• Stayed December 2012
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at this hostel twice over my stays in Kuala Lumpur and although my first stay was fantastic the second wasn't so great so I'm going to be completely honest in my review.
On my first stay I was so impressed with the hostel -i met lots of great people, free internet access and wifi - cheap rate and the rooms were clean. Roof showers were fantastic (ones on the floors not so good) and the majority of the staff were great too. The owners wife in particular I want to give particular thanks to as she was so helpful and friendly.

I liked this place so much I stayed extra nights and brought people back with me on my second visit - however on the 2nd visit there were problems with the shower and not a single shower in the hostel was working which the staff didn't seem to care about. The service on the second visit really wasn't great and one of the staff in particular made me feel uncomfortable asking personal questions - I'd also heard that when speaking to one of my fellow travellers he'd described me in very unflattering personal terms - even though the hostel itself is great this just isn't acceptable -and theres only so much you can put down to cultual differences - I would have mentioned this at the time to the owners wife if I'd been told at the time.

Just as an aside - they have a female only dorm on the reception floor - great idea but could I suggest you move this to one of the other dorms? It wasnt great having to walk through everyone in reception and the breakfast area to go to the shower and toilet especially on the way back from the showers as they werent dry enough to change in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The hostel itself is pretty nice. It's got a good location and the wifi is fast. But the staff does not make you feel welcome at all and they were always trying to wheedle more money out of you.

For example, I booked online and the amenities included in the price listed breakfast and a towel. But when I checked in I was informed that my price was a summer special sale so it didn't include breakfast and a towel so I'd have to pay extra. Then when I chose to extend I got charged more because now I was a "walk in" and not booking through the site. It just seemed very dishonest to always charge more than what was listed.

Also you are required to sleep in the bed allocated to you or else you get charged extra, which would make sense except they made me sleep on a top bunk when 2 bottom bunks were free. Also, the one blanket they provide (without a top sheet) is only 4 ft long so not long enough to cover one person. When I asked for something longer he just said that was all they had and many people complained about it.

Overall it's not a horrible hostel but be prepared for a serious lack of customer service and hidden charges. There are much better places to stay in KL

• Stayed October 2012
shahid73, Owner at Serenity Hostels, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hi, thanks for your review. It appears that there are few misunderstandings here which i must explain. I can understand that you are upset because you thought the price included breakfast while you had to pay for it. Our general amenities say the breakfast is included but that is for our normal price. For special promotion/discounted price the listing does mention that "no meals or drinks included". It is quite obvious that there can not be a lower price for the same dorm which is also available at a higher price.Probably you overlooked the details while choosing the lower price. For walk in customers the price was only 40 cents (0.40 USD) higher to encourage online bookings for marketing reasons. However, to bring uniformity to price we have brought the online price at par with our walk in price. You will appreciate that unlike other hostels we have a flat rate for all dorms regardless of size and even for weekends.
Regarding charging extra if you change bed other than the one allocated to you means that if you use another bed in addition to the one that was given to you then of course we have to charge you for 2 beds. You should understand that we sell beds and if you use 2 beds you pay for 2 beds. We do give the option at the time of check in to choose your bed unless all other beds have already been reserved. The beds you saw empty were probably reserved but the guests had not shown up at that time.
We strive our best to make our guests very comfortable and help them in every which way. I thank you for your feedback but rest assured we do not extra charge our guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Don't get me wrong. This place is not awful. It's clean, not to expensive but... We didn't feel welcome. There was no atmosphere... People where just coming to sleep there and that's it. We changed to one of the places in China town and it was so much better. Serenity has potential but staff have to put a bit more heart into it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Serenity Hostels? Share your experiences!