“Some opening problems - poor location a concern” 3 of 5 stars

Dua Sentral Kuala Lumpur
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Kuala Lumpur 50470, Malaysia   |
Ranked #30 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Some opening problems - poor location a concern”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Iarrived at the Sentral Station from the airport at around 1.30 am. None of the taxi drivers knew of this hotel - to be fair it has only been open for 20 days. Despite having the road name and number the driver continued to insist there was no such hotel there. We eventually found it - although not far from Sentral it is not connected and the hotel is surrounded by very busy roads.

I was welcomed by name ( I had e mailed to say I would be late) and check in was efficiently handled.

My room wasn't large but quite well decorated. strangely for a 'double room' it had two double beds. Housekeeping could have been significantly better with a deep layer of dust on the window sill. The television didn't work and although a maintenance man came quickly and replaced a control box on the wall it wasn't what you want at 2am and should have been picked up with the pre-opening checks. I suspect that the rooms will look scruffy quite soon as the furniture was a 'wood finish' laminate on chipbboard and the flooring was wood finsh too - not proper wood.

The bathroom was tiny and oddly designed. There was no door to the bathroom itself but separate doors on the very small loo and shower rooms. Strangely, all the towels were on a rack above the loo. The corridoor outside was wide enough to drive a car down so it was clearly a design fault to make such mean bathrooms.

There was a minibar but a local beer was US$10.

Wifi was free and worked well (a strong plus in any hotel - Wifi is no longer an 'extra' and as essential as a bed or hot water).

I received 2 wake up calls despite asking for none.

The pool was outside in a rather space terrace overlooking the motorway below. It was cold and very noisy from the traffic below.

Breakfast was included and was attractively arranged as a buffet but with an egg station at the hatch to the kitchen. There were plenty of staff who were efficient and helpful. The room is large ground floor space and was bright.

The hotel kindly arranged a complimentary minibus for my return to the station.

They term it a business hotel - and I saw that it had a number of function/meeting rooms. It clearly has difficult access and it didn't look as if you could walk anywhere. Its well away from the shopping and entertainment areas too.

It offers a good price - probably because its the opening period. Its computer system ' wasn't ready' to credit frequent flier or Best Western points

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
BWP2Sentral, General Manager at Dua Sentral Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Simon63,
On behalf of BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral-Kuala Lumpur, we would like to thank you for your feedback (tripadvisor.com)

We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us. However, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay in regard of the service in your room. We have shared your comments with our team members. Your constructive feedbacks are valuable to us in our search of service excellence.

Simon63 , we looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral-Kuala Lumpur for your next visit

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

When we first booked we thought the hotel was closed to KL Sentral. Despite its name, it is NOT NEAR KL SENTRAL at all and one must take a taxi or walk 15 minutes alongside dusty roads, which is definitely not recommended in the hot KL weather.

Before we arrived, I already sent an email to advise that we will arrive around midnight and confirmed that the conceirge will be open. However when we arrived, the lobby lights were shut and we were greeted in the dark.

Then we took a shower but got no hot water, only to find out next morning that one has to switch on the hot water in the room and wait 15 min (and of course no signs or instruction at all).

Then there was problem with the swimming pool. Though it looks nice and modern, the water was green and moldy, and I regreted as soon as I dipped in.

The worst only came when we tried to get the hotel to book us a taxi to KL Sentral for our next morning flight. The hotel told us that a taxi was only available at 5:15am. It took a lot of hassle until we found out that the hotel was trying to book us a limo that cost RM55 for a 5 min taxi trip. Are you serious?

I don't usually write bad comments on hotels but this one is certainly a big disappointment.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BWP2Sentral, General Manager at Dua Sentral Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear L S
We were most distressed to hear of your unfortunate experiences at our hotel, and we can only thank you for telling us about it (via the Tripadvisor website) so that we can do everything we can to avoid such things happening to our guests in future.
Please accept our sincerest apologies, and thank you again for your invaluable feedback.

We hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future, where we promise you things will have improved.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel with superb service, and special remark on the receptionist with great smile, especially Madonna. Really enjoyed out stay there. But there r still rooms for improvement, such as the cleanliness...

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Weeeee

It was a great pleasure receiving your valuable feedback (tripadvisor.com) We are very pleased to learn that most of our services met your expectation.
We have taken good note on your comments and have been shared and discussed with our team. Your constructive feedbacks are valuable to us in our search of service excellence.

Weeeeee we looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral - Kuala Lumpur for your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I used to work in a few five star hotels previously.it seems that this hotel got what it takes to compete with other hotels such as Hilton Kuala Lumpur.I believe this hotel is much much much more better than Dorsett,Novotel,SwissGarden,Cititel.even the carpark and the signage to the hotel was confusing but I have to give credit to these two employee that have been outstanding,first one is from the frontdesk Ms.Hazreen,she's very helpfull,active(even I knew that most muslim were fasting),very polite and always smile,it only took less that 10minutes during checking in.second person is Mr.Marwan from the Kembali coffee house,he gave me n my spouse a very good suggestion on our menu selection,very nice guy.I will come back to this hotel in the future.
P/S : wifi is superb,bathroom not that spacious but still nice,view is nice on the 19 floor n above,room amenities is perfect.good luck guys...

• Stayed July 2012
Dear caansuman

Caansuman we looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral - Kuala Lumpur for your next visit.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I spend 3 days in july on a business trip in BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral, just recently opened, but the service was great, also the rooms are very spacious and nice design, i can just recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
BWP2Sentral, General Manager at Dua Sentral Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Su_One ,

On behalf of BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral we would like to thank you for your feedback (tripadvisor.com).

We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us. We have shared your comments with our team members. Your constructive feedbacks are valuable to us in our search of service excellence.

Su_One , we looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Dua Sentral Kuala Lumpur for your next visit.

Giraudo Aurelio
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a chance to stay in this hotel last week. My wife and my baby girl was with me.

The hotel staff is very friendly. A special mention to Lillian (a manager), as she was super helpful. Check in was a breeze. And proper introduction to the hotel facilities were given as well.

I stayed in a room with 2 queen size bed. The room is very clean, I really liked the design as well. TV was packed with highly entertaining shows and games. The air conditioning and ventilation was good too (important as I have a baby).

One small complain though, the room insulation may be a bit inadequate as I could hear my neighbours (and people talking on walkways). A bit more than the usual hotels I go to. But this does little to dampen my good experience with the hotel.

Did not manage to try their pool and breakfast as my little one got a sudden fever and we checked out rather quickly the following day. But during my stay there, all was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked this room before opening and nervously watched to see if it would be ready for our stay on 4 July. I needn't have worried about it as it did open on 1 July (I think there'd been a soft opening before this date). Lots of email communication prior to arrival too from a lady called Lillian.

On arrival, we were checked in fairly quickly and, although no mention was made of an upgrade, we were very pleasantly surprised to open the door onto our 1 bdrm suite with kitchenette with fancy coffee-making facilities, living room, bathroom with luxurious bath and shower, desk / work station, room safe and spacious bedroom all with excellent city views. One thing to remember in Asia is that 'Queen' doesn't mean the same thing as it does in the West with respect to bed size so sharing 2 sm beds with our teen daughter was a bit of a squeeze and she ended up on the couch. Our fault not theirs.

Everything was obviously new and it was just a shame that AirAsia had brought our onward flights forward 6 hours (yes that's right!) meaning we had to miss breakfast and couldn't enjoy the other facilities. The gym wasn't really ready with just 3 treadmills and you had to ask if you wanted it unlocked so we didn't miss anything there. One thing of concern was that they forgot to give us our 4.30am wake-up call so it was just dumb luck that we didn't miss our flight - no apology from the flamboyant desk staff who didn't seem very concerned at all.

This hotel is easy to get to and we found it an excellent location especially with the courtesy shuttle buses running to the malls. As mentioned, we came in via LCCT and we took the rapid transit train/shuttle bus to KL Sentral for just RM12.50 pp ($4). The journey takes about an hour compared to 50 mins in a taxi for over US$50. We walked from there to the hotel in about 10 mins but we travel very lightly compared to most people so luggage is no issue. There's a complimentary shuttle between KL Sentral & the the hotel so you could get lucky with the timing.

The area called I think Little India is a scramble down the hotel's hillside and a scurry across a freeway. Loved it! One the first night, all 3 of us ate from banana leaves with our fingers for RM10 - $3! On the return, we went to Ghandi's Vegetarian and we all ate well for RM42. Both highly recommended and we loved the contrast of eating there in backstreets in the shadow of the 5 star hotel. Loads of festivities both nights and people in the street, very colourful.

Back to the hotel: we'd also booked another night on our way back home 3 weeks later. This check-in wasn't as smooth - they didn't seem to have any record of the booking and we had to be seated while several people flurried about to 'find us' a room. A bit disappointing after the first upgrade as this room was just the deluxe - nothing really wrong with it and it was what we'd paid for after all - except that we'd already been spoiled with the spacious suite at the same price.

A few building/maintenance issues here - for example, the shower door didn't fit properly so we had floods of water outside the shower stall. Also, the shower was hot and cold and not enough pressure. Toilets not always flushing properly No bedside tables on one side so nowhere to put your drink, no provision for the 3 people booked and paid for so we had to call house-keeping for an extra towel, cup, glass, tea bag, and so on. They agreed to a 90 min later check-out which was helpful.

Not sure I like the 'phones located in the toilets - seems luxurious at first glance and yes, you can call housekeeping if you run out of toilet paper I suppose but, really, is it very hygienic? Don't think I'd fancy touching it! And who really wants to get a phone call from someone sitting on a toilet?

The gym is now fully open with some very fancy equipment and I spent some time in here but was the only guest doing so. Several workers busily fitting TVs in there - what a shame that there's always the expectation that we want a load of racket everywhere we go. Much prefer to listen to my iPod when working out but that's just me. Pool is pleasant although a lot of street traffic. My daughter was 'told off' for wearing a T-shirt in the pool when she was actually wearing a sun 'rashie'. Staff backed off when I explained. Considering how some people were shrouded from head to toe while seated around the pool, I can't see how a T shirt could be found offensive in a Western hotel but, hey, it's not my country.

The buffet breakfast has to be seen to be believed. The usual egg chefs at your service, a very friendly waffle chef offering some delicious sauces (even he said to give the fish one a miss), staff bring tea and coffee or you can make your own from an extensive selection. Cereals, cold meats, cheeses, salads. Yoghurts, fresh fruits, dried fruits, whole fruit, nuts. Full Western breakfast including grilled tomatoes, hash browns; a full Asian fare of at least 8 dishes, I spotted a complete DIY Nasi Lemak fare; dim sums were steaming away; huge range of pastries, breads and much more that I've forgotten. Could have sat there for hours. And did.

I almost forgot to mention that the beds and bedding are SO comfortable that we almost slept through the buffet – now that would have been a disaster! Lovely duvets, pillows and all this is highly recommended although I couldn't find the brand names on the mattresses. The best night's sleep we've ever had in a hotel – anywhere. Great reading lights – all too often overlooked in hotels. Bravo for the comfort effort here!

We'll definitely be back – and we're not 'hotel culture' people by any stretch – I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I do hope we get an upgrade next time! I hope you'll find this a fair assessment of our stay.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can afford it