“Great little place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added PODs The Backpackers Home to your Saves list
PODs The Backpackers Home
1-6, no 30 Jalan Thambipillay | Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur 50470, Malaysia   |
Chiang Mai
“Great little place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I can imagine that people might be let down by the single pod because its not really a private room. I however, had no problem at all. The staff so nice and very helpful. Extremely easy to go any where in the city from their location. Showers are hot and the toilets are western standard. What more could you want from a Hostel? My only problem was the Air Con. I was able to turn it off my last night because I was the only one in my area of the floor.
It would be good if they figure a way to keep Air Con at 30 and just have people use fans and open windows

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This place is completely overrated. It is located about 20 meters away from the red light district and it is extremely loud in the evenings.

If you're booking a private room, there is no use because though there are walls, there is no ceiling to block out the noises from the outside. I was woken up several times because there is no soundproofing in this place at all.

You have to make you own bed and the day I went they were out of towels. 10PM the street downstairs gets loud and so do the crowd. I heard Gangnam style play literally 5 times. Had to take sleeping pills to fall asleep.

Did I mention this place is in the red light district. Just walk around the street (or maybe you shouldn't) and you'll see hungry men queuing up for their lady (-ies) of the night.

The only positive thing was that the people working the reception area are nice. Other than that, this is probably the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had with a hostel.

Room Tip: No need to get a private room. It's not worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. It's very green! The staff are friendly, the rooms are a little small but full of character! Everything is clean. It's a great location if you need to get to or from the airport at a ridiculous hour or to the train station. The common area is great with computer, bean bags, board games, books and breakfast. The only bad thing was that our room didn't have a curtain to shield us from the enormous window overlooking the street - we ended up taping one of our blankets over it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Daegu, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights (19-22 jan) and found it pretty good. We only paid about $8 per night or something. So don't expect the ritz. It's in a good position to travel as its a 2-3 min walk to Sentral Station. Beds were clean (oh yes, I did have to spend a full minute making it myself, slave labour, call the cops), the showers were made of corrugated iron by warm and clean. The communal area was fine, TV and Internet available.

Basically, backpackers will find this fine and people who are too cheap to book a hotel will always have some ridiculous comment to make.

PS they were out of caviar when I asked.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Checked into this hostel with a friend as it was close to KL Sentral train station and many other hostels were fully booked. On first impressions it seemed ok, but things got steadily worse as time went on. The decor and general ambience is arty and quite 'cool'. We booked a twin room, which was literally just two single matresses on the floor and barely enough space left for our two bags. It was very very small. We were given our pillows and sheets in a bag and left to make our own beds. I resent having to make my own bed when I am paying a premium for that bed! The sheets smelt musty. There was no blanket and when it got quite cold later with the aircon etc and I asked for one they told me that they had run out! They then offered me the 'staff' blanket, which after being pushed they admitted had been used. I declined this used blanket and wore half my clothes to keep warm instead. The lights are turned off at 11pm and after this time you are expected to be quiet. It felt like being at boarding school and I did not appreciate this controlled environment at all. There was toast and tea/coffee for breakfast, but as they don't have a fridge there was no milk so I had to have black tea. I would not stay at this hostel again and would not recommend it to anybody.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Accidentaly, I came to this hostel early on the morning. Because just arrived in KL sentral from Butterworth around 6am in the morning and I don't know what to do, so I opened my hostelworld app in my phone to start searching a hostel for a while, before I get myself to the airport at night. I choose this hostel because the location is very close to the airport. You just need to walk for just 10-15 minutes to get there.

Appearently, this is such a good hostel. The price is quite cheap for around 25-30 RM for mixed dorm. They provide a sheet, blanket and towel as well. Also a breakfast for the next morning. Like other hostels, we provide a free wifi for every guest. They have a lobby with an artistic-warm environment. The also have a lounge with many of books, PC for internet surfing, bin-bags for nap, and other cool stuffs.

M!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed in pods with a group of 20 people. we all shared the same room which was gruesome as i had a severe dislike for some of the travellers, one can be described as mouldy and another whos name was Jenna kept shouting " Jenna says yeah" . Anyway at night lights were off by 11 or 12 (cant remember) and if any noise was made then a woman of relatively large proportions would deem a 5 minute lecture appropriate punishment. To add to the strict rules a fellow traveller insisted on telling stories which can only be compared to manure, were meet with chants of "cool story chip chipping norton" which resulted in frequent appearances and threats such as being kicked out or being charged extra but after a lengthy chat we told her we knew she was lying and told her to go and sit down and go to bed.
To add to frustrations in the morning the breakfast was toast with jam or butter from 20 litre buckets which previous use was to store sun cream of a previous guest ( that's the rumour but no ones stupid enough to lose sun cream in Malaysia, or are they?).
In addition if you even dared to use the same knife to spread both jam and butter (was actually margarine but I'll let them away with it) you were pounced upon by the receptionist as if you were trying to activate some sort of explosive device.

All in all my stay was beneficial as I now know I could survive in a prisoner of war camp and now I can say I have showered while being enclosed by tinfoil on 3 sides and a window on the 4th side which faced onto the main street.

I stayed for 3 nights in October.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to PODs The Backpackers Home? Share your experiences!