“A wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 187 Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur 50450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 270 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“A wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

A travel agent booked my Husband and I into the Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur so I wasn't too sure what to expect. It was quite a drive from the airport (45 minutes in the busy period) but well worth the journey as it was near the City centre and all attractions were within a short distance. We were well and truly amazed by the courteousness and helpfulness from all of the staff; they were truly genuine friendly people. The facilities in the apartment were excellent and we had complimentary bottled water, washing powder, toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities replenished daily. We eat at 'Souled Out' which was practically next door to the hotel and the food and atmosphere there was fantastic. The swimming pool on the top floor of the accommodation was very nice and had a very comfy refreshment room near it to allow patrons to make tea or coffee at their leisure and meet other travellers. We would definitely return to this hotel again and would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gary_SAKL, Manager at Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Francine P,

Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team at Somerset Ampang. Your feedback motivates us to do better to ensure that our residents have a warm and pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Residence Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Apparently everyone works hard but totally not trained in problem solving, When a problem arises, they are only trained to say "Sorry mam". I have been staying here for six months already, here is summary of my observation:

1) Bathroom - 1st room i got the whole room smelled like sewage at night time becox of the bad drainage. I met several expats who stayed in Somerset also stated the same problem. Solution from the hotel staff seems to be moving you to another room to another room until they find one without the smell, they have no intention to resolve it. I changed room twice and got one without the smell, but the shower drainage got cloaked after three months, ah ha! a difficult problem for the staff so i started to hear "sorry mam" a lot, but no one wants to solve the problem. Two technicians visited my room just to get it more cloaked... End up they sent a more senior manager soaked in cigarette smell to monitor the fixing, now it is finally fixed. it takes two three rounds of complaints, two weeks, to have it solved.

2) Taxi - Somerset staff never understand that they should not hire a taxi who would rip off their guests, and they never tried to explain to foreigners that how most blue cabs follow meter while most red cabs do not. The haggling taxi gave a very bad impression to foreigners, they asked RM 40 to go to KLCC, seriously! why Somerset staff still repeat that to the guest?? it is bad for the country, the hotel staff should be trained to deal with it. oops, but does any of the staff realised that the taxi in other developed countries follow meter? perhaps not.

3) Rooms - unbelievably big, nicely decorated and well cleaned. Wifi drops out every 5 mins or so but it's fast when it is on. Long stay apartment include a fully equipped kitchen, and a washing machine, makes life a lot easier for expats like me. I like the rooms, except the smell in some rooms as in 1), my only criticism would be the pro-activeness of the house keeping ladies: when something is broken in my room which is very obvious, they never report it, they would let my light bulb burnt out my door creaking for days until i complain about it.

4) Facilities - roof top swimming pool is nice, but don't be surprised if they run out of pool towels, it happens a lot. gym is on roof top as well, it is nice, only criticism is the air con is always too cold, and they switched to the radio channel that plays sad love songs...in the gym... shared study room on roof top is nice, well equipped with magazines and hot drink station. Breakfast is only good when you are very very hungry, don't have any expectation.

As an expat working in the nearby office, i would say Somerset is a good value serviced apartment, but staff needs to be trained, they obviously never traveled abroad or stayed in a similar class hotel themselves therefore never understand what the guests are looking for, i have to say the staff tries hard tho and they are very friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Hyatt,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am truly sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. While we constantly strive to maintain the highest standards of customer satisfaction, regrettably, on this occasion, we have fallen short of our key objective. I therefore wish to extend to you my sincere apologies.

I would like to assure you that I will personally addressed the issues with the staff concerned and will ensure that our team members receive the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of this incident.

Unfortunately, there is no way of recreating the past or reversing the unpleasant incident you experienced. However, I can assure you that we value your feedback and your feedback has been utilized to improve our service and communication.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were in Somerset during our FAM trip to Malaysia and the Breakfast was amazing service too. bell desk staff were very helpful when requested late checkout it was very flexible which we have not allowed without a extra charge in Singapore.
We really enjoined Staining at Somerset.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear John 292014,

Thank you for your compliments about our serviced residence during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and service. We hope you will stay with us again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Hotel is very good and very clean. Exceed my expectation and gave the pleasant experience during my stay in KL. It was my 2nd time in KL but my first time was at Holiday Inn and experience sucks that made me scare to go back in KL. But with Somerset Ampang made me feel safe, happy, at home so made go back and stay in this hotel again. Their customer service is absolutely good. Staffs were friendly and very accommodating. The staffs from front door give respectful and cheerful greeting to the front desk till the one servicing the room. Highly recommended. As it suits family as well. It was a delightful experience my business trip became pleasurable journey too.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Dhaiane D,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to have you stay with us. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities. We hope to welcome you again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed in a one bedroom apartment for three weeks and it was perfect for my needs. The living area was well designed with separate lounge, dining and kitchen areas. Plenty of space in the bedroom as well. The kitchen area was well equipped, with hob, microwave, fridge, freezer and washer/dryer.

The facilities in the building were good, with a rooftop pool and gym. The arrangement with the restaurant next door (souled out) worked well, with them providing daily buffet breakfast and room service delivery.

The location near to Ampang Park station on the LRT is good, although the walk to the station is not very pleasant - only 5 minutes, but along a very poorly maintained footpath next to a very busy road, and having to cross a very busy road as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The apartments were huge, large bedroom with walk in wardrobe, large bathroom and lounge area with kitchenette, it was nice to have so much space. The rooms were very clean.

The pool was lovely, while it only had a few loungers there were never many people there and so this wasn't a problem. It's a shame the view of the Petronas towers are being blocked by a new tower block.

Breakfast was served next door and was fine, cereal, fruit, toast, eggs cooked to order and a few other hot items. This restaurant was also good value for dinner.

It was an easy 5 minute walk to Ampang Park and only 15 minutes walk to KLCC park. I disagree with a previous review that the walk past the embassy to the station is 'difficult'- there are a couple of points where tree roots have pushed up and broken the pavement but it is not difficult to step over or around the broken parts!

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the Somerset Ampang for nearly two weeks for business. The location was handy to the places I was working, although the walk to Ampang Park station was difficult with the very poor condition of the footpath past the old British High Commission building - you were forced almost onto the busy road in a couple of places.

The room was very comfortable and quiet. The hotel rooms start on level 9, with offices below, so you are well above the noise of the street. The lack of a balcony was a bit disappointing, however. The space in my one bedroom room was perfect for a longish stay. All the expected features were present, including the washing machine / drier, which swayed me to stay here rather than the Prince. There was no actual cooking facility (stove), but this didn't worry me. The room was well made up each day, the only thing which was missed seemed to be a spill of some kind in the passage outside the room, which was clearly visible on the polished stone doorway. I never reported it, leaving it as a sort of experiment, and it was never cleaned.

The room had separate air conditioning for the living and bed rooms. It was very effective, if a little noisy. I tended to sleep with the living room air on low, and the bedroom off.

The pool area and lounge on level 22 were very good. The pool was just the right temperature for a cool off, important in the KL climate, and the view was great. The cleaning staff need to keep up the supply of clean towels to the pool area, I often ended up guiltily taking the last towel.

Breakfast is served at an outdoor buffet, which was a bit average. Why they don't know about serving milk (for breakfast cereal) cold, I don't know. Dinner could be had at the same place for a very reasonable price, as long as you didn't mind the outdoors, and the noise (both traffic and music). There aren't a lot of other eating choices in the immediate vicinity but lots of options around 1 - 2 km away.

Unfortunately there was a mix up upon my arrival and the accommodation which was supposed to have been paid by my work, had not been processed and I had to pay it myself. This seems to be a common problem with Somerset hotels, the same thing happened to me in Singapore last year. The reception staff said they would give me the invoice the next day but a week later I had to ask for it as it still hadn't arrived. The invoice they then gave me was only for the days which had elapsed as they said they couldn't give me an invoice covering future days, even though I'd paid for them. Other than that, the staff were always friendly and helpful.

Considering the "consular quarter" location, going for a walk nearby was an astonishing mix of opulent diplomatic residences and squalor. I guess this is typical KL.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!