“When you only have 14 hours in KL...this is your place...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy DoubleTreeats Deal!
Ranked #19 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Doha, Qatar
“When you only have 14 hours in KL...this is your place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Off the bat, I have to be honest, I put the staff of this hotel through their paces even before I checked in. And they rose to the challenge (two use two cliches in one paragraph).

As any regular traveller knows, early check ins often mean paying an extra day's rate, unless you find an understanding hotel like the Doubletree. Saving money on my flight meant a stopover in this awesome city, and I had ditched the free (and faraway) hotel offered by the airline for a city offering so I could have a nosey around.

My flight arrived at 4am KL time and I have 16 hours until my next one. Several KL hotels had said I would have to pay another day, and one (which I won't name and shame), said I would have to pay 2.5 days (early check-n, the actually day rate then per hour after the 2pm check out).

I took the effort to call the Doubletree direct before arrived and this paid off. They arranged an early checkin on request and were stunningly helpful. The transfer from the airport was expensive but worth it as I don't think I even remembered my name at 4am.

I had thought that maybe the doubletree was far from the city's heart, but after a sleep, at breakfast in the very comfortable executive lounge revealed it was quite close to Petronas Towers and Star Hill shopping area.

The rooms are spacious, sleek and functional, beds comfy and the workspace well thought out with plentiful sockets and adaptors.

Bathrooms have amenities by Crabtree and Evelyn, plentiful towels but alas no bathtub.

The breakfast on the executive floor, with views of the Petronas Towers, was a typical offering with eggs to order and a buffet of bakery items and cold cuts. Snacks including sandwiches and biscuits are replenished during the day and the evening cocktails are among the best I have sampled.

I didn't try the other dining outlets but there seemed to be a great selection and a wine bar in the lobby looked tempting. A mall also adjoins the hotel.

The hotel was bustling and when I finally was able to face the world, the concierge went out of his way to book a requested dumpling restaurant (at the Ritz Carlton) for my sleep delayed lunch. He even escorted me to the taxi and told the driver the location then tracked me down when I returned to get feedback.

The hotel runs a free shuttle to six locations in the KL city center, but you need to check timings with concierge. Don't expect to be able to walk to the sights, they are at least a 10 min ride.

I was offered a complimentary late checkout which was above and beyond given the hotel appeared to be busy. I was then offered the opportunity to remain in the executive ounce until my pre ordered taxi took me to the airport.

One downside, no wifi in the rooms. You have to ask for a wireless router which is very strange. Wifi is available in the executive lounge if you have booked one of those rooms. wired internet was apparently available but I lost interest after the wifi revelation.

Another, we prepared to wait for a lift. They always seemed busy. Also, airport transfers are expensive and even more so if you arrive between 12am and 6am. Beware.

Overall a pleasant stay made all the better by the extremely helpful and charming staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear rachelannmorris,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, bathroom amenities, Executive Lounge facilties, and also how the Concierge team looked after you. We are very proud of the team in DoubleTree by Hilton and we see regular examples of how the team make those little gestures that mean so much to our guests. I will certainly pass on your message to the team.

I noted your comment regarding the necessity to provide Wi-Fi service, and we are working with the Internet Provider company for improvement. We expect to see some improvements in this area shortly, as it is important for all guests.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The good:

- As an HHonors Gold member, I was given access to the Executive Lounge (free drinks and snacks from 1730 to 1930). There was a platter of cute little desserts (I guess they were a welcome amenity but there was no indication as such). 3 pieces of laundry were also included as an additional benefit for club floor guests.

- Pretty decent food in the Executive Lounge and Makan Restaurant (where breakfast was served), in terms of taste and variety.

- Err... That's about it, sadly.

The not-so-good:

- Wifi was not available in room, even if one was willing to pay (not that one should, in this day and age!)... The only way to get it was to ask for a wireless router, which had to be installed individually and specifically. And this was supposed to be a business hotel?!? NB wired internet was available for RM48/24 hours, or GBP 10.

- There were 6 lifts in total but I almost always had to wait for far longer than expected. One of the reasons I could think of was all the staff seemed to be using them just like the guests...

- Not the most conveniently located hotel in KL but bearable, and there were taxis aplenty.

- The hotel was patrolled by a team of uniformed security guards, which was a first for me in Malaysia. Not the most welcoming feature of a hotel, to be quite honest.

Total let-downs:

- I arrived at the hotel at 1430 and waited for ten minutes to be checked in, only to be told my room wasn't going to be ready for another hour. When I expressed my disappointment in no uncertain language, the lady 'miraculously' found me a room. Unbelievable but true.

- A lot of the staff just exuded this air of nonchalance, from the Exec Lounge to the Bell Service. That aside, the efficiency of the staff also left a lot to be desired. Some examples here: 1) on more than a couple of occasions, the 'Care Line' took over 7 rings before it was answered, and no apologies offered; 2) I asked for a bell boy to pick up one piece of luggage from the room, which I said I would leave right by the door, before heading out for breakfast. When I returned to the room 30 minutes later, the luggage was, yes, you guessed it, still there. I called and was told that someone came but he didn't take it because it wasn't packed. I was lost for words but didn't want to argue. 3) I had to wait for a further 15 minutes after that conversation before my bag turned up, with a taxi waiting. Mr Hilton, really?

- For no good reason, most of the staff throughout the hotel wore this perpetually glum expression. The lady who checked me out didn't even say 'thank you and hope to see you again'. Just as well, as she won't in a million years.

Room Tip: Is that rhetorical?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear EdmondUK,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I also noted your various comments and I am sorry that we obviously did not meet your expectations on the last trip. I apologize for all the inconvenience caused. The teams are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel itself was what you would expect of a Double Tree. The rooms were good size, bed comfortable and the buffet breakfast one of the best I have seen.

However, the service was not great. When I booked I specifically asked for a non smoking room and when we checked in again I specified non smoking - yet they gave us a smoking room. For breakfast we were asked if we wanted coffee and juice. We said yes to both, yet it never arrived.

Whilst it is located within waking distance to KLCC, to get there you need to cross a very busy road. Normally there is a cross bridge but for the weekend we were there it was closed due to construction in the area. This meant that we had to "run" across a busy road to get there. If you like to walk to places rather than catch taxi's everywhere, then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear natspicer,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the room, bed & pillow menu - Sweetdream®. I have noted your comment regarding the bedding request and breakfast experience. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. The reception team should have advised you on the availability upon check in. We are working hard with the team on training and developing better service for all guests in future.

I also noted your comments on the construction and closed pedestrian bridge, this is to provide a direct connection to the LRT (subway). The overpasses across Jl. Tun Razak and later Jl. Ampang are expected to be finished in the next 2-3 months.

Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

There is little to complain about with this hotel, it is a very new 5 star hotel and the standard is up to the 5 stars. However, when one stays in a 5 star hotel the expectations are very high so I can be picky.

My only real issue with this hotel is the lack of wow factor. As we had booked into a 5 star hotel and paid the price for this I was expecting a very grand entrance, and I expected to say 'wow, very nice', this didn't happen. The hotel is in a shared building and the entrance is nice but not very nice.

It is the same for the rest of the hotel very nice, buy not wow.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I got a great rate. If I could try another 5 star in KL for the same price I would.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a good view, our room had a poor view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JPRL-UK,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I have noted your comments on the WOW factor, and it helped us to improve our guest experience. We will review with the team on hotel guest ambassador at main entrance for improvement in future and the teams are very focused on improving all aspects of the hotels service & facilities.

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights.it was really good. Room was fantastic . 32 nd floor. Great view. Service was average, i get the feeling its all the same in kl. Its a 15min walk to klcc. When you get to suria shopping complex. You can walk to bukit bintang/pavillion shopping mall in air condition walk ways. Takes about 30min in total to walk to nukit bintang. Taxi from hotel vary between 12rm to 20rm to bukit bintang. About 10 rm to klcc. Overall we were very happy with our stay

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Peter H,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, room, and the services. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great hotel in a great location.
The rooms were lovely and the service amazing.

We can use the club lounge which is located at the top level of the hotel with incredible views.

What surprised me the most was the service there. All the food in the lounge is for free if you a member. When I got there they had nothing vegetarian. I asked but there was nothing available. That was ok with me. After all it is for free so I put it down to bad luck on my side and settled for some rice cakes. The manager saw that and I guess felt sorry for me... :) He went out of his way to organise me some really nice food from the restaurant downstairs at no extra cost. Not that I wouldn't have paid for it but he insisted on getting it for me. It was a very nice gesture and sure a reason to come back.

The breakfast in the main breakfast room was awesome! Great choice from all over the world. We loved it.

Mrs. V.

Ohhhh - and the cookies you get on arrival? They alone are worth the stay. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr and Mrs V,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, room, Executive Lounge, and the services. I am happy to know the team looked after you on your food dietary. We are very proud of the team in DoubleTree by Hilton and we see regular examples of how the team make those little gestures that mean so much to our guests. I will certainly pass on your message to the Executive Lounge Manager.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Booked this hotel online under special deal so was happy with the price I paid. Agree with previous reviewer that its out of the way. Hotel provides complimentary shuttle to certain deatinations so that helps.
The service I received was excellent and the cookie upon check-in was delicious. It is in a mall and there are other food options if you don't want to eat in the hotel. There is supposed to be a food court but I found most of the shops closed at 6pm on a weekday which wasn't very helpful.
Overall, I had a decent experience and I didn't feel I overpaid so no complaints. If you're going to k
Not shop, I would suggest hotels closer to the shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear TravelerG2011,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially our famous DoubleTree cookie and the hotel services. I appreciate your comment about the International Food Hall on Lower Ground retail podium, and whilst this is operated by a 3rd party.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!