“"It Felt Like Home from the First Day"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarang Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kuala Lumpur
Sarang Rooms
You added Sarang Rooms to your Saves list
11 Jalan Sin Chew Kee, Kuala Lumpur 50150, Malaysia   |
Keppel Sands, QLD, Australia
“"It Felt Like Home from the First Day"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We have stayed in Sarang Rooms three times now and expect it will be our preferred choice for any future visits to KL. The rooms are lovely, the facilities are immaculate, the staff and management are very friendly and always helpful, the location would be hard to better, and the old fashioned neighbourhood is quiet and reminiscent of a more peaceful time.

Room Tip: Both front rooms at #11 are excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed @ Sarang rooms for 4 nights during our visit to Kuala Lumpur. The first positive about this stay is its proximity to the monorail station @ Hang Tuah. Commuting around becomes very easy due to this. Besides, it's close to Bukit Bintang where there's night life and hence you feel safe to walk back to the rooms even at 11 PM in the night.

About the stay, it's a house with one room for you, but you actually feel as if the entire house is yours. The house built some decades ago may not be very flashy, but it has its own charm - you feel part of the city, as if you've been living there for years. Our 4-years old daughter, felt @home and moved around easily. One thing we had to ensure was that, our daughter doesn't make too much noise at night, which could disturb the guest in the adjacent room. It was not too much of an ask, however.

About the hosts - the most important factor that makes the stay memorable - Michael & Christina are wonderful and warm people. Upon arrival, besides giving us the maps, they gave us an outline of how to go around the city, what are the places we must visit and the tours and how to do them best. Additionally, Christina/Michael were available on cell whenever we needed help regarding anything - be it directions, shopping tips, arranging for heritage tour, print-outs etc. The hosts who stay in our building - Anita and Teri were genuinely courteous and sweet. We truly felt taken care of - as if you're staying at your relatives' place.
Thanks to all these people - with this trip, we've carried back the joy of having explored KL on our own, setting our own pace, without having to depend on the tour-operators. As Michael had aptly put it, they strive to give their guests a non-touristy experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We had a party of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids) travelling for 3 nights in KL. Michael, Christine their daughter and staff all treated us like family. We got the whole house at #4 which was great, the place had 3 bedrooms, dining room, lounge and 2 bathrooms. We got breakfast each day, foxtel etc. Michael his family and staff are on hand to advise you where to shop, eat etc, they even include you in their daily activities. For anyone staying in KL I suggest you try one of their guest houses, they are in a great location and the help they give you is brilliant. If we return to KL this would be our number 1 choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

This was my second booking with Michael and Christina, before myself and my girlfriend stayed in the apartments which was excellent for a couple, this time I was booked into Sarang rooms.

Service - is good, Anita was aware I know KL pretty well but still invited me out to a night market but I was a bit tied up with friends on that night, she brought breakfast to me every morning and brought one hell of a nasi lemak chicken rendang on the last day there that my stomach will remember for a long time, if she asks you what you would like for breakfast and you like spicy food, ask for this dish!
Micheal came over and said hello one morning and we had a nice chat over breakfast, a really cool guy and the cleaners will also smile, say good morning and will tip top around and even sing while they go about there business.
And unlike some other reviews who said the building does not have in house service, the staff are literally a phone call away across the road... so any problems, call the staff who will be with you in minutes.

Value - is pretty good even if you book alone but if your traveling in a group of six friend family or more, I would recommend just rent out all three rooms to have the house to yourself and I'm sure you can squeeze more into the room if you are a larger family as I saw one of the cleaners go up the stairs with an extra mattress for the guests.

Sleep quality - will depend on if you are a light sleeper like myself as you can hear the guests next door if they talk, neighbors taking late night showers, you can hear what is going on outside too from noisy cats and dogs, I cannot pass blame on the BNB as I am a really light sleeper... just be warned light sleepers, take some ear plugs if this bothers you to the point you need a tight sleep.

Cleanliness - Good, you don't get a change of sheets or towels unless you stay a long time, i stayed only 4 days but frankly I find this is wasteful of resources and I prefer to sleep in the same sheets and use the same towels as I would at home.

Location - Awesome, so much is within distance of this location, Bukit Bintang, KL Tower, the KLCC Towers, China Town, Central Market... all within 5 to 25 minutes, take a map, forget the cab and take in the KL Streets, you may see a restaurant or bar on the way you want to visit later.

Rooms - are well kept for an accommodation that is regular booked, everything feels clean and in good condition you will get access to your own room with lock and key, a shared lounge with access to Premiership football, handy for us English football fans who cannot sleep like myself, a shared fridge, kitchen and 1 bathroom and 2 bathroom/shower combo's. There is also a hairdryer and iron laying around in the hallway if you need it.
All rooms are tidy and comfortable, is air conditioned with a fan if you prefer that option to the air conditioner.

I guess a slight small complaint that I hope Micheal and Christina take on board is to ban smoking in any the bedrooms, the guests before me smoked out my rooms and it made everything stink in there for some of my stay. The cleaning crew tried there best to air it out but to no luck. Given the toilet area is an open area and the front of the house has an outdoor area for guests to sit, the guests should be told smoke there.

If you want to feel at home within KL, you can't do no wrong then this little place.

Room Tip: 2 rooms have double, 1 room has single. Just ask for your requirement and you shall receive.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here for about 3 nights in November.
Most things were like expected, rooms were okay and the surroundings just around the house wasn't the thing that we booked it for either.
Though the location itself with close to the big food street, close to monorail-station and other things nearby combined with the excellent hosts did more than make that up.
Weren't really anything to complain about, everything was okay and luckily not many stayed there with us so there was never any queue at all to the bathroom for instance.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is really late to review but i have to do it. I booked Sarang rooms because of the reviews in Tripadvisor and boy was i happy or what. Michael, Christina and Anita went out of their way to make everything perfect for us. Helping us sightseeing and taking us to the local market was a treat.
Anita with her breakfasts was a joy to be with.
Overall if i go back there is no other place we stay for sure ....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I've stayed with Sarang Rooms twice before in early 2011. Both times I was traveling solo through KL (on my way to and return from Europe). After staying there 4 nights on my way to Europe, I knew that I had to stay there when passing through on my return trip as well.

The level of hospitality is amazing. The rooms themselves are basic, but very, very comfortable. The airconditioning is a god-send. So is Anita, the woman who manages the properties. She was happy to give me my breakfast at whatever time I wanted, helped me get some last minute laundry done at very reasonable rates and always had a smile. Anita, Christina and Michael all went out of their way to ensure that I got to see a side to Malaysia that I doubt I would have seen had I been staying at a large hotel. The location is fantastic - right in the heart of Bukit Bintang but without the noise!

Michael took me out to the markets outside KL (no other tourists in sight!) on my first night in Malaysia and happily chatted away explaining different products and getting me try different things I probably would have been too chicked to try without his encouragement. He also acted as a go-between to ensure the locals did not rip off the shy, white guy. Though I will never, ever, EVER try the stinky tofu. Ever. As much as he encouraged me to try it! Hahaha.

Christina took us out for breakfast one day and dinner another as well. They take you to places you would never be able to find yourself and where they often don't speak English. But gosh, the food is good. I was also in the office one time with new friends I met at the accomodation and when they told Christina they were off to Melacca and which place they were looking at staying at and how much they were paying - Christina worked out they were likely to get ripped off with their quotes and so called on their behalf and lwo and behold, they were paying quite high tourist rates which Christina negotiated down.

They also helped organise a tour for me and a family that were also staying there out to the elephant sanctuary. This was one of the highlights of my trip. The guide they organised is an actual park ranger and was incredible. Full of knowledge. I have a few park rangers in my family so we chatted about the topic quite a lot. He even knew the small part of Australia where I was from (it's in a National Park). He said that he only does the tours for Michael and Christina occasionally when they ask because they're such lovely people and he knows he'll get respectful people on the tour.

I cannot praise both my stays enough - other than to say, I've booked again for June already this year as I'll be heading back to explore more of Asia.

I also recommended Sarang Rooms to a work colleague who was doing an almost identical trip to Europe that I was (with the stopover in KL) and he was equally impressed.

The only, only tiny thing is that the walls are a bit thin but it didn't make a different to my sleep and I'm a pretty light sleeper!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sarang Rooms? Share your experiences!