“ok ok place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #172 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Chandigarh, India
“ok ok place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for just One night so can just share a bit but yes it is situated in the heart of market near china town. very very crowded place full of street food around. You will see street -market just at the entrance of hotel in the crowded street round the hour. grocery or daily item is next to the hotel. Kaula lampur is a big city you get a cab on the main road so u might have to walk for 10 mins. Staff is co oprative. Rooms are not very spacious and so are the bathrooms. Only one lift in the hotel which is also old fashioned....................Still a place one can afford to pass a night or two

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed a few days at the Amanda and have no real complaints. Good location, friendly staff, daily room cleaning, great WIFI in the room, hot water AC. There is a TV but very few stations...only turned it on once! The room is small but compared to Japan it is a suite. Very quite.

Room Tip: Go out the back door and you are in the market complete with chickens, seafood and everything else...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We only wanted somewhere clean and basic to stay in between fights.

On arriving, the market was closed which probably made it look even worse than it did.

Our room was filthy, with stains, grease marks and dirt (on sheets/floor/walls).

We were not expecting luxury just cleanliness - we stayed another night at the hotel A-One which was more expensive (not much) but it was clean, with security, room was bigger - the alamanda room was tiny, with doors that have gaps so you can see in.

Its cheap and only gets poor rather than terrible because its cheap and location is handy - but worth spending a few pounds more on something less scary.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this hotel are better :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We(my husband and I) stayed there for new years. I would say the location is very good. It is in middle of china tOwn!
But what saddened me is one entire floOr is used by prostitutes. They get the customers fulfill their requests and leave the hotel. That happens easily in front of your eyes!!!! There is an Internet cafe beside the hotel which receives the customers and fulfills their demands at the hotel. Highly not recOmmended for families!!!!
We found rubber under our bed!

• Stayed January 2013
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel over New Year 2012. Our room was basic (bed, old but working TV, good air con, small bathroom, window) but for the price it was exactly what we expected. There are 7 floors...we stayed on the 2nd floor on our first stay and you can hear some street noice (market right outside) but the market is normally finished by 10.30pm each night. Our 2nd stay was on the 7th floor and we had no noise.
Was able to leave our large bags there whilst we went off to Pangkor. Friendly staff, clean, free basic breakfast and free wifi.

Room Tip: Book on Agoda for a cheaper rate
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The first thing to realise is that this place is nestled onto Petaling Street Night Market, which means that when you get dropped off by your taxi and have to walk the 100m to the hotel, you have in front of you one of the most stressful walks of your life ahead of you as you lug suitcases down tiny alleys in the market, trying not to demolish too many traders, tourists or fake gucci handbags...

(This does give the advantage of plonking you in the bustling heart of Chinatown, close to good options for food and shopping)

Once there, it isn't that bad - service is good on the front desk, and they have free wifi, though this tends to be slow.

Room was fairly small but clean enough (and house keeping seemed very proficient), with working aircon and everything fully functioning, though with an ancient mattress upon which you could feel every spring, and seemed to have been bought circa 1765.

The room was overlooking the market meaning that you have to listen to them pack away their produce until the early hours, which can be noisy, especially when added to the background noise of Kuala Lumpur.

Overrall, a decent enough budget option for a couple of nights, which is about as long as any sane person would want to spend in KL.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face onto Petaling st. - it would be quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

So, this place was great until checkout. Here's the deal:

I arrived at 4:30 a.m. on the 13th. I always wonder what the policy will be when I arrive, but, in SE Asia, I've found that 4 a.m. is often the 'check-in' time. Meaning that if you check in at 4 am or later, you don't have to pay for the previous night.

So, at the desk, the proprieter said that the price was 70 RM per night. If I stayed 2 nights, it would be 60 RM per night. I asked if I would be paying for the night of the 12th (the previous night) as well. He said that 4 a.m. was the cutoff for paying for the previous night. So, if I paid for 2 nights right now, that would take me through to the 15th. I could pay 120 RM for two nights (13th and 14th) and checkout before noon on the 15th. Great. Exactly as I expected.

The stay was quite pleasant.

And then, on the morning of the 15th, there was a knock on my door. They claimed I hadn't paid for last night. I went to the desk and the woman explained that I had paid for two days. The 12th and the 13th. I explained that I had checked in on the 13th at 4:30 a.m. and paid for the 13th and 14th. I even produced the bus ticket showing what time and day I had arrived. She said that the check-in time was 12 noon. So, since I'd checked in at 4:30, I had to pay for the previous night. I explained to her that I'd been told very differently at check-in. All of this to now avail. They would not let me return to the room without paying for the extra day.

So, while my stay was fine, the room clean, etc. it was a bait and switch rip-off. Don't stay here unless you enjoy paying for more days than you stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Alamanda Hotel Petaling Street? Share your experiences!