“Good location, friendly service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Frenzy Free Upgrade Promo
Ranked #15 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Haleiwa, Hawaii
“Good location, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed at the Royale Chulan for 4 nights attending a conference.
The conference facilities were excellent, the food good.
It's a traditional style hotel, so don't expect a Sheraton type facility.

The pool was very large and I enjoyed it every day after a long day work. The gym was nice.
The rooms were large and well equipped. The beds were comfortable.

Service was good, staff very friendly and accommodating.
The lounge on the 5th floor was excellent and a great place for small private meetings.

I enjoyed the food at the Chinese restaurant. Breakfast offered a large variety of food. The expresso could have been a little better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Firstly this hotel is in a great location bu sadly the room which we were pointed was quite sad and miserable looking! I put allot of time into researching hotels in KL as this was our honey moon and wanted it to be right. Checkin was relatively smooth but there was a conference going on and feel that it took the president over other guests staying at this hotel. Reception new it was out honeymoon and congratulated us which was a great welcome
Sadly the room did not live up this, carpet was really dirty, lots of stains all over the place, the room was extremely hot and the air conditioning did not seem to bring the temperature down. During our 2 night stay we made 3 requests at reception informing them that our room was hot, an engineer would be called up to have a look, as far as were concerned this did not happen as the temperature did not change during our stay. We also made 2 calls to he royale call line with no responce.
Our first kettle did not work, the second one leaked water all over the floor and finally the third one worked. The scales in the bathroom did not work and the light fitting in the bathroom was falling away from the ceiling.
Overall considering the occasion of our stay we feel very disapointed especially the fact the air con was non existent and nothing was done in our eyes to rectify this problem.
Great location but sadly would not stay at this hotel again and would also doubt if this hotel is really a 5 star

Stayed April 2012
Fremantle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Really can't knock this so as far as five star hotels go it is definately 5 star. My only comment for anyone staying is not to get a room overlooking the pool. The outlook is beautiful and the pool is amazing but we couldn't sit on the balcony because of the droning noise from the airconditioning fans which are housed at the end of the pool. Try and get a room close to the front of the hotel so you don't hear the noise and yes I agree with another advisor that you can hear people in the adjoining rooms. The breakfast was great and the service was lovely. My only other comment is that if you like boutique hotels you wouldn't stay here. Big plus for us was opening windows onto balcony, which seems hard to find in KL.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a balcony, but not near the a/c units. From our room overlooking...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Royale Chulan earlier this month. There were hits and misses. The hotel is beautiful and located about 15 minutes from the KLCC. We were surprised that upon check-in, we were simply told where our room was and left to make our own way there - which we preferred to do anyway, but we'd assume that this being a 5-star hotel, we would be escorted to our room. The room was very spacious and luxurious and came with a balcony. The walls were surprisingly thin, and we could hear what was going on next door. The breakfast was a lavish spread of international foods. On our last night, we tried one of the restaurants, the Bunga Emas, and were extremely disappointed - the food was average and the service slow and uninspired. On the whole though, we were satisfied with our stay. We felt that for the price, which included breakfast, this was a good deal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have just spent 7 nights at the Royale Chulan, what a great place to stay. Check in was easy, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. On day 2 of my stay, I had an issue with the plumbing in the bathroom and as soon as I reported it I was quickly moved to another room. My new room over looked the pool and had a balcony - this suited me better then the city view room. Both the room and bathroom are large, there is plently of space to unpack or just pile up the shopping bags... Breakfast was great, plently to choose from and eggs cooked to order. The hotel is in a good location, a 5-6 min walk to the pavilion shopping centre and monorail station. After reading mixed reports about this hotel I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say that I had a great stay and would highly recommend it. Again great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, you get the added extra of having a balcony where you can sit a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Balikpapan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I would just like to recommend the Royal Chulan for it's high standards and also for it's excellent quality of staff. This is my third stay at this wonderful hotel and it certainly won't be my last. The pool is splendid, the food lovely, and the staff are all truly outstanding. The hotel is fresh, and the rooms I have stayed in have all been superb. I will be booking the Royal Chulan on my next visit!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lovely pool!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Ripon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed in the Royale Chulan for 3 nights whilst visiting Kuala Lumpur to watch the grand prix. We knew this hotel was in the town centre and would be a long trip to the sepang circuit, but as it was our first visit, we wanted to be near the shops and tourist areas.
On arrival we were quickly checked in and shown to our room, which was exactly as the photos and I have to say that everything was just as I expected, except for the smell of stale smoke in the room, which I have to say I didn't expect nor appreciate!
The hotel was easy walking distance to the pavillion shopping mall and the Bukit Bintang area, and the monorail, so you could easily shop, eat or go anywhere else you wanted.

The breakfast was the thing I was most looking forward to as I have seen rave reviews about it and we were very disappointed with the reality. There was a good choice of food, but it was absolutely packed and like a cattle market! also our waiter brought us coffee first, and by the time we'd worked our way around all the buffets and made a choice the coffee was cold! I had an omelette, toast, and fruit and none of it tasted of anything! I have to say though that evening we had a meal in the heritage restaurant, and we were quite late because of getting back from the GP and we had the best steak and baramundi that we've ever tasted!

We didn't use the pool, but it looked very nice. We had drinks in the lounge which was very nice and all the staff were very polite and helpful. The concierge booked us a taxi for the airport trip at 5 in the morning and it was there waiting for us, so no complaints there.

The bed was enormous and very comfy and we both slept very well, but as I said to start with I don't think its quite 5 star, as there were just a few things not quite as you would expect for a five star hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!