“the Best guest house in kl” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical GuestHouse

You added Tropical GuestHouse to your Saves list
Tropical GuestHouse
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   2 Tengkat Tong Shin, Kuala Lumpur 50200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #37 of 275 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
“the Best guest house in kl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Lovely place no one can hate it the guys who work there are very friendly and you will love the owner of the guest house....they got the rooms in town especially the presidential room its the best once u r in kl just go and check in there u won't regret it

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We went to Tropical guest house at 6:15am after a very long bus ride from Thailand... We were very tired and decided to stay in this friendly looking guesthouse. We checked in around 6:15am - 6:30am and paid about 70RM which we though was a lot for what it was; basic but clean room with shared facilities. We got some sleep but were woken up a few hours later at 11am by the manager requesting we pay again! For the night... We were lead to believe we were paying for a night in a room.. Not 5 messily hours... We hadn't even had a shower or used the bathroom. We felt taken advantage of for our first few hours in Malaysia...

.... So, in swere, don't stay here if you don't have too!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Me and my partner stayed for 7 nights roughly as we didn't have a plan as to where to go next. The rooms are very very small. We even paid extra for a "sexy" room because it has it's own bathroom. And it's tiny.
THEN. Next issue. They play this ridiculously annoying music 24/7 and all over the guest house. So every morning it wakes you up. I personally went behind reception to turn the CD player off 6 times as the staff just don't listen to you. On numerous occasions other travellers were complaining about this and we all got ignored.
Next issue. The lady that owns it has 2 staff working for her. She treats then like slaves. Shouts at them infront of everyone and it's quite embarrassing.

Toilets aren't the best and it just too small! Wifi only works in reception all so.

All in all I definately wouldn't go back. Hence why after our 7 days we paid for was up we checked out and checked in 2 doors away to number 8 guesthouse. Miles better and cheaper!!

• Stayed October 2013
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We got the booking problem too, when we arrived, they cant find our booking, then I flashed my mobile to show he the confirmation letter I received, finally the staffs get me a room, but not the room type we booked. But the room is still good, matched with characteristic of this guesthouse. Small but nice, the staffs are friendly. Location is good, where just nearby jalan alor, which has lots of bars and restaurants. But it is rather quite than other hotels around that area. Again, we faced the payment method when we check out, but it's just technical error of the staffs. eventhou we faced problems during check in and out, but the staff still smiling and solved it.
overall: great gueshouse with characteristics, well decorated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is the closest thing to the old guest house experience in the heart of Kl. The staff is super cool and chilled out, good fun to hang out with in between running around. The owner( Jeniffer)is the coolest chic in Malaysia. If there is anything you need to know, she will help you in anyway she can provided you are respectful and deserving. The rooms are clean, cozy, basic but over all for the price, this place is 5 star in my book and i stay here everytime I come to KL even though I could stay at friends place for free.
Good cheap indian food right across the street open 24 hours and a lot of fun having some drinks out on the patio meeting people from all over the world.

Room Tip: Quit complaining at cheap guest houses. If you don't like it after one night, you can try anothe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Good experience here.
Small room (!), but very clean and very good position!
Near to bar and reustaurants (Jalan Alor). Good place to share info with other travellers.
Jenifer (the owner) will help, if you are in need.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bochum, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

To say it in short: We had booked a room months in advance, had reminded the staff a few weeks beforehand. The booking was not in the computer when we arrived. No apology. Only excuses: The guy does not work here anymore. The system was broken. Very unfriendly staff. Not willing to help to find another hotel!

To say it detailed:
This hotel looks nice from the outside but the staff seems to be not well prepared at all. We booked this hotel months in advance because it was recommended in the STEFAN LOOSE travel guide! DO NOT TRUST IN THIS RECOMMENDATION. As I read that some people had difficulties with their bookings I wrote this hotel an e-mail a few weeks beforehand and said again that I was looking forward to coming on 24.08.2013. We arrived in Kuala Lumpur after two nights in planes.. so really tired and exhausted. We entered the hotel and the guy at the desk was at first quite friendly. We told him that we had reserved. BUT THERE WAS NO RESERVATION ON OUR NAME!!! So he said: "Well, there is no reservation and we do not have any free rooms." We showed him the last e-mails in which our booking was confirmed and he just said: "Yes, well, this guy called Sunny is not working at this hotel anymore. He quit like two months ago." So what we got was not an apology but something like "this is not my fault and so I don't have to care for you and you have to go and find something new". He looked at us and waited for us to leave. I told him that I had a long journey to Malaysia and really needed the room I reserved and a shower. He told me I could talk to his boss but that he was not there at the moment. So we waited and I went to the bathroom to take a shower. At least this was possible. When I went to the bathroom and inside I thought this must be Malaysia: There was water everywhere on the floor because there was no drain so that the water could run off. Furthermore the toilet was right next to the shower and also completely wet. So the new clothes I wanted to wear after the shower got wet as well. The next thing was that there was no way to turn on the shower properly. Only drops came out of this shower. I do not know if this is the case in every bathroom in this hotel but the ones in the basement looked like that. Anyways, we were happy that we at least saw a bit of water. After the shower we talked to another person of the staff who I had written an e-mail to a few weeks ago. He was very unfriendly. His name was Kashif or something. The other one at least said that it was their mistake after I had told him ten times that this is the e-mail with the confirmation of not only Sunny but also Kashif. But this guy just did not care at all. He found another excuse: The system was broken and so our reservation was gone as well. Even when I asked him if it was possible to use their or his phone because we wanted to call another hotel in town to find out if they had a free room for that night he only said: "The phone is broken". I asked him: "So you have no phone with which I could phone this other hotel" He said: "No." So I just turned around, told my boyfriend and friend that he was not able to help us and we went to find a new hotel ourselves. Right next to this hotel is another one called "8ight" which is not the best you can get but the toilets and showers are definitely better than the ones in this hotel. I also had a look at the Sahabat guest house which was suuuuuper nice! Go there! It is just around the corner and the staff seemed really friendly! I really hope that you do not have to experience something as annoying as this was.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropical GuestHouse? Share your experiences!