“Best Noodles Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Taiwanese
Richmond Upon Thames
“Best Noodles Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a chow mein style lunch in here and its the best I've ever had. All the dishes are cooked in tea and supposed to be heathier. Tasted amazing!

Visited May 2012

50% Recommend
Singapore, Singapore
“Always a queue here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

As most Singaporeans know, when there is a queue for the food, it usually means it's delicious! Fong Lye at The Gardens always has a queue outside the minute it opens! But they are pretty efficient so you don't usually have to wait for long. Taiwanese food served here. So many choices to choose from. The sets come with a soup and side appetisers, either a rice/noodle and a main dish. Their 3-cup chicken with dried chilli and braised beef are popular. About RM20-30 per person.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Glad I gave them a second chance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I remember my first experience at Fong Lye as there was a lot of hype surrounding this restaurant (they served pork!) and so a big group of us went and ordered different dishes to try. I found the food pretty mediocre and did not live up to the hype. That was over 2 years ago ...

Over the past few months, my wife had been suggesting to give it another shot but after my first bad impression, I was never keen to return. Finally I relented (my wife can be very persistent) and we went for lunch past Friday.

As is common during peak hours, we were given a number for our turn plus the menu and ordering slip. There are seats provided along the outside of the restaurant for use. Every once in a while, a member of staff will come around with little shot glasses of complimentary drinks. Not too sure what the drink is but I suspect it is lime based so quite refreshing.

They have a lot of different sets to choose from and I must say a lot of them were very appetizing. We settled on a sweet and sour pork set, 3 spice chicken set and side orders of fried mushrooms and stir-fried shellfish. We also ordered one milk tea with custard to share.

After being seated, our food was served soon after. Despite the restaurant being packed, we didn't have to wait very long. The set comes with a bowl of herbal soup, little side dishes and rice.

I must say the food was great. The generous serving of the main dish tasted very nice. The sweet and sour pork tasted slightly different from the typical fair you'd get in a local chinese restaurant so the subtle difference was welcomed. The 3 spice chicken was tasty without being overpoweringly salty (which can be the case in some places). The fried mushroom was very nicely battered and seasoned not to mentioned a quite big a serving. We also noticed the next table had ordered the fried squid and that looked really yum as well. The milk tea was very fragrant and strong plus they accomodated our request for less sugar and ice.

The only blip was their shellfish not being the freshest. We gave this feedback to their staff and the manager promptly removed it from the bill.

I was especially impressed by their level of service. Staff were very polite and remembered their Ps and Qs. They spoke well too and definitely seemed well trained. If only the service in other Malaysian restaurants were of this quality. Well done!

I'm very glad I gave them a second chance. Now I can't wait to return for more!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Fast service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

As it is located in a shopping mall, there is always a crowd during eating hours. Even though there is a long queue, the queue does clear up quite fast. There are customers coming and leaving every now and then. The staff are very diligent in terms of seats arrangement/allocation.

Once seated, within a few seconds, a staff would bring the menu. The menu choices is not much, but most of them are real delicious. Our favourite would be the fried potato balls, the oyster mee sua, the wine chicken mee sua, and fried la la.

Too bad that they dont accept card in this outlet, no matter how much we spend on the bill.
Reservations is accepted for large groups, i.e. 6 pax or more.
They are open at normal mall opening hours.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Really delicious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The food is delicious and price is reasonable. We order the "3-cup chicken" set and steamed fish set. The "3-cup chicken" was finger lickin' good! Drink is normal. Love the food there!

Visited July 2012