“Not really for a solo traveller” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel

You added The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mid Valley City, Lingkaran Syed Putra, Kuala Lumpur 59200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #52 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
sydney, australia
“Not really for a solo traveller”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed for two nights towards the end of November, 2011 in a One-Bedroom Premier-Room, having made the booking directly through the hotel website. I had previously stayed in the hotel section of this property and decided to try out the residences section, which are the apartment-style rooms within the Gardens with a serviced-apartment concept with larger rooms designed for longer stays but perhaps with less attentive service than what could be expected in a full-service hotel. The rates were higher than at the hotel and I wasn’t sure if the stay as a whole represented good value.

Arrival Experience

My relative dropped me off from the KL Sentral station and at first, it was quite difficult to access the driveway as members of the extended Malaysian royalty like to stay here and they usually come with an entourage of cars and motorcycles, on this occasion blocking the driveway lobby access so that was quite inconvenient. No help was provided with my luggage, unlike what could be expected in a normal hotel. Instead, there was one staff member at the reception area, who was reasonably friendly but probably didn’t provide the level of welcome and service that could be expected in a normal hotel.

The Room

The room was certainly very large and quite nicely appointed with a separate living area and another for the bedroom. The size was around what could be expected for a middle-sized apartment.

The room had a kitchen which was well-stocked with cutlery but of course, there wasn’t anything in the fridge and not much complimentary mineral water was provided. The kettle was quite large but when I looked inside, it was heavily stained at the base and effectively completely unusable and I am not sure whether the hotel housekeeping checks on the condition of some of the equipment because it didn’t seem to be acceptable to have such a kettle in the room.

The air-con was a split-type system which could control the two rooms individually (living room and bedroom). It was quite powerful and cooled down the individual sections very quickly but without it, the room was quite hot although it could be opened to the outside and had a balcony available.

There were two well-sized LCD TVs provided in the room with a reasonable although not large selection of channels available.

The bathroom had a long bathtub but was quite shallow. The toiletries were the same as those provided at the Gardens Hotel and of a reasonably good quality but the bathroom as a whole didn’t seem as impressive as the one found in the hotel, although it was larger but the bathtub wasn’t as large and the vanity area didn’t look to be as impressive.

I have videos of the room, which can be found through my profile section.

Staff Service

I didn’t use the staff service much but when I did, I found it to be a little short of a normal hotel-standard and not really all that friendly. The main issue concerned the internet LAN ethernet cable which was supposed to be in the room. I called the front desk a few times but they just stated where I could find it but I searched the room thoroughly and couldn’t find it anywhere. Finally, the front desk reception agreed to place one in my room but I returned later to find that it wasn’t there and even after asking for a second time with agreement to place it there, it was still nowhere to be found and only on the third occasion did the staff member have it available at the reception area. At other times, the staff members didn’t seem that friendly attending to my request at all so I wasn’t impressed with this incident and it seemed to suggest that it fell short of what an ordinary hotel would deliver.

Location

The Residences are located above the Gardens Shopping Mall, which is a relatively high-end mall in Kuala Lumpur with the usual luxury boutique names as well as more affordable restaurants and a good food-court and eatery section in the basement. The Midvalley Mall was also next to the Gardens Mall with more mainstream shopping outlets and dining options. Apart from that, the hotel was not that well-located, being quite far from the usual tourist centres or sights in Kuala Lumpur. Taxis are readily available and I suppose there is also a train station nearby but the problem with the station is that the trains do not stop there that frequently. Apart from that, buses are also available to other parts of the city, with a free shuttle service to the Bangsar LRT station.

Conclusion

Overall, I thought the room was alright but probably much larger than what one person would require but the service levels here seemed to fall short and the room also was not that luxuriously appointed. I consider the Residences to be more suitable for larger groups or families who intend to stay for more than a few days. In that case, the rates could probably be justified because the facilities exist for self-catering and also the room size would be more comfortable. So, in my case, it wasn’t particularly good value and I would have been better served by staying in the hotel section; I have done so in the past and overall consider it preferable for my needs.

NOTE: I have videos of the room which can be found through my profile section.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
CommunicationsMgr, Communications Manager at The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your comprehensive feedback on Trip Advisor site. We appreciate your comments and note the feedback given. You may be pleased to know that the broadband access in the rooms are now via WiFi access and therefore eliminating the issues related to LAN cables. Admittedly, the spacious units in The Residences are geared towards providing ultra comfort to travellers on extended stays and/or travelling with spouse or family. We look forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel soon if your travels bring you to the city of Kuala Lumpur! Once again, thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Hotel rooms are fine. Bed could be softer. However, doesn't matter if you are facing the wrong side of the hotel since there is a loud bass coming from a night club. This occurred on a Monday and Tuesday night. I had to switch rooms at 1 AM in order to sleep. Make sure to stay as high as possible to avoid the night club noise.

Room Tip: Don't below the 20th floor or on the south side to avoid the night club noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CommunicationsMgr, Communications Manager at The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for writing in to Trip Advisor and we note your comment regarding the bed. The entertainment outlet at level six, which is not operated by the hotel, usually keeps their music level to within tolerable limits. We regret that on this occasion it had lapsed. Your appreciated feedback on the noise levels has been referred to Mid Valley City management and they are further addressing the issue with the club operator. Once again our apologies for the disturbance experienced during your recent stay with us. We are sure that you will notice the difference on your return trip to The Gardens Hotel & Residences.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

The hotel is directly connected to The Garden & Mid Valley Shopping Malls... so u r 100% under cover. The rooms are good size and in good condition. It's great the hotel provide WiFi access free of charge.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your sharing your comments in Trip Advisor site. We look forward to welcoming you back at The Gardens Hotel & Residences.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife, two kids and I stayed here in April 2011.

What a great place to stay. Centrally located and perfect for shopping, in fact right next Mid Valley and on top of The Gardens Mall. Also only a 10 minute taxi ride from the heart of KL (excluding peak hour traffic time). It's also located close to other suburbs as well, so business wise if you're in KL or the suburbs, you have the best of both worlds.

The lobby area was immaculate and front desk staff were very helpful. As we booked the Club option, we checked in on the 21st floor and had the most amazing personal service.

The rooms were spotless, immaculate, fully stocked with the usual amenities and equipped with the usual services. The bathroom was clean, spacious and fairly modern. The beds were comfortable and provided us with great rest.

The buffet breakfast was a fullspread of both local and international delights. Not as extensive and refined as say The Westin in KL, but defintely did a great job. All the food was fresh and regularly stocked, and staff would not hurry you if you were reaching the end of breakfast time. We even had one of the staff make a barista coffee for us - though the thought was lovely, the beans let it down. But barista style coffee is not what we consider a typical Malaysian drink, so I don't hold this against them.

The door men were very helpful, and always managed to ensure we got a good taxi with a driver that was not going to swindle us if we needed to go to KL city or elsewhere.

There is a great pool on one of the floors, with a bar, and it overlooks the city. Great if you want to spend a day "indoors" and just laze around.

One of the nights there, we dined at Sage, their in-house 5 star restaurant. We decided to go the full hog - 3 course, wine etc etc. Service was great, but almost to robotic like. Food was ok, though I wouldn't consider it 5 star. But it was a great effort. There are great restaurants in the two malls, so you won't have to worry about food at all.

The hotel and all services are really child-friendly, so you won't have any problems here. What we really loved about the hotel (and most parents will agree with me) is after putting the kids to bed at say 7pm, my wife and I would take turns to go to the two malls/pubs. As they close at 10pm (pubs later of course), and were all right next to or below the hotel, it made it so convenient to catch up on shopping (or drinking!) that you couldn't do when the kis were awake!!

All the hotel staff were so sincere and helpful and really went out of their way to help us. for example, I recall on our day of arrival, I decided to check out where the breakfast buffet area was. I was surprisingly greeted by the restaurant manager and he ran through the whole breakfast menu with me! Wow.

Check out was so easy and stress-free (on Level 21 again). We were pretty sad to leave, as we had such a great experience at The Gardens. Great work guys, don't lt your standards drop. We'll defintely stay there again, and will tell everyone to do so as well.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive Club option. You get personalised check in, nicer rooms on nicer floors, and a...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
CommunicationsMgr, Communications Manager at The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor site and thank you for your kind comments and positive feedback. We are pleased that your stay at The Gardens Hotel & Residences was totally fulfilling. We note all your comments and have passed them on to all departments. You feedback is a motivation to all of us at the Hotel to further improve. We are truly glad that your experience here was a reflection of heart-warming Malaysian hospitality and we hope to have you back with us the next time you visit Kuala Lumpur. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests at The Gardens Hotel & Residences.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

If shopping in Mid Valley Malls is your aim, this is the place to stay. You can shop from the opening to the closing and walk right back to your hotel. The rooms are nicely done, well maintained and nicely furbished and designed. Had not encountered any unhappy incidences during the stay here, or for the past 3 times that we came.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for writing in to Trip Advisor site. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Gardens Hotel & Residences, Kuala Lumpur and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
California/Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just finished my third stay at this property, and it really is flawless. Everything from check-in to departure, the executive lounge to breakfast, just as you would detail it yourself after years of travel experience and hospitality management. Congrats to everyone involved - another job well done.

Room Tip: Ask for a soft bed if available, the asian style beds may not suit everyone - but still very comfort...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
CommunicationsMgr, Communications Manager at The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing in to Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you had a totally fulfilling stay at The Gardens Hotel & Residences. Your favourable feedback is an encouragement to everyone at the Hotel and we truly appreciate your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back again soon at The Gardens Hotel and Residences.
Pontianak, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

stayed at the 2bed room premier unit of the garden resedences. everything are in the right places. kitchen is complete with stove , microwafe and small electric oven.

the only thing not there is the washing machine, (would be nice if they have one).

residences located at a super huge shopping center. can find anything u can think of. from fine dining to food court. from mini market to hypermarket.

we stay there on a family holiday and we travel in a big group. so the shopping center do makes everything easier. from dining to finding all their needs.

room are clean and perfect its jus that design are no the latest. but that's not a problem.

oh last, its did provide a free in room high speed wireless internet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Gardens Hotel & Residences. For your information, there are self-service washing machines and dryers located on alternate floors of The Residences but unfortunately not in every unit of The Residences. Nevertheless we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at The Gardens Hotel & Residences. Thank you for writing in to Trip Advisor site.

Been to The Gardens Hotel & Residences-St Giles Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!