“Deluxe Tour of Japan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel New Nagasaki

You added Hotel New Nagasaki to your Saves list
Hotel New Nagasaki
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14-5 Daikoku-machi, Nagasaki 850-0057, Nagasaki Prefecture   |
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagasaki
4.0 of 5 stars 114 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“Deluxe Tour of Japan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel was good but not great. It is a little older, the rooms are satisfactory and it has a good central location. As is often the case in Japan the staff were very helpful. As part of a tour it was a quite acceptable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our room was at front of hotel and we experienced moderate street noise, plus a bit from hallways (doors closing). Double beds - hard by our standards. water heater with tea (no coffee); PJ's and slippers provided; A/C hard for us to regulate. TV had BBC english channel. Could not connect to internet in room. No pool or gym. Breakfast buffet OK (on 13th floor).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night in December. The reception people were courteous and helpful. The room was spacious though a bit dated. Had some problems with LAN access initially but was assisted by hotel staff fairly quickly. We had a room facing the main road and so it was a bit noisy at night. Would have been better if we had a room facing the sea. The hotel itself is conveniently located next to the Nagasaki JR station and a mall.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Our first night stay on a recent Kyushu trip was with New Nagasaki Hotel. As this is a non-peak travel period we understand that we were able to get good value-for-money from our tour package. The hotel is just beside AMU Plaza/Seiyu Shopping Centre and the JR Nagasaki Station. Places of interest like the Peace Garden and Atomic Bomb Museum are all within 15 mins by coach.
Amenities are adequate, by japanese standard. Toiletries are aplenty and bathroom is simply spacious. There is cable LAN-enabled but no Wi-Fi. The view from room is superb (if yours is at high floor..) with part of the Nagasaki Harbor in sight and mountains in background.

There is simply nothing I can 'dislike about'. Definitely worth considering if you visit Nagasaki. :>

Room Tip: Do req for a room that has great view, if they can accommodate.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe, HI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have visited this hotel twice, and both times I actually ended up only going to the "Blue Moon" bar. This second time I was thinking of staying here, and also thought about eating at their elegant restaurant, but again I only visited the lovely Blue Moon bar on the second floor.

The first time I came here, several years ago, I stumbled into the place because I was looking for a place to have an early evening cocktail. When I went into the bar I was the only person there and ordered my usual drink, a gin and tonic. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get this drink, as sometimes it's hard to find an American type drink in Japan.

I was fascinated to watch the drink being put together. First of all, the very elegantly attired and elegantly behaved bartender take a huge chunk of ice and create his own perfectly square ice cubes. Then he filled a glass, put in a hefty tot of gin and stirred the drink. After letting it sit a few minutes he added the tonic, stirred it quite nicely, let it sit again and served it to me with an beautiful flourish.

I was thrilled to enjoy a perfect gin and tonic, and enjoyed it so much I had another.

Now the next time I came here there was another bartender and although he had already created the perfect ice cubes, he at least spent the time to create another masterpiece. This guy was a lot more talkative, and I enjoyed chatting with him in my broken Japanese and his limited English.

All of a sudden, though, he and this woman who had come in and who obviously was one of the staff, suddenly stopped talking to me and started staring at me and making me feel extremely uncomfortable, so I ended up leaving. I don't know exactly why they took this strange change of attitude, but it ended up sort of ruining this place for me. I still don't know what happened, but I don't think I'd ever go back again.

I will say, though, that I thought the drink was as perfect as could be. After my first experience it was something I really wanted to go back to experience again.

Unfortunately, though, this will end up being my last time. Too bad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Montana Rose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Beautiful hotel, great location, got an excellent price that included breakfast (very good), taxi to the night viewing spot of the city (highly recommended), internet, and parking. Rooms are large for Japan. Very clean and comfortable, could check in early. We drove there, easy to locate, easy to get too, easy parking. They were able to get us connecting rooms. Very helpful with maps, suggestions for restaurants. We ate in one of the restaurants that evening - very expensive and very small portions, but very good. Eat out! A bit sterile (as all big chain hotels are, but would stay again if got a good package deal).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We took the Kamome Limited Express train from Fukuoka and arrived at the JR Nagasaki station. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we had booked this hotel and we were not disappointed. After exiting the station proper the hotel was literally in an adjoining building just 5 minutes' walk, and the maps in the Station are useful in finding the hotel and orienting yourself. We arrived early (11am), dropped off our bags in the high-ceilinged and spacious if somewhat dated and went to explore the city. The front desk and concierge were incredibly effusive (unusual for Japan, I thought) and supplied me with maps and recommendations.

The monument and museum to the Christian martyrs crucified by the Tokugawa shogunate are just across the street, 10-15 minutes' walk on the pedestrian overpass. The handy streetcars are a great way to move south to tourist highlights like Dejima, Glover Garden, and north to the Atomic Bomb Museum and the epicentre, all fascinating and sobering in so many ways, so the location really is absolutely fantastic. The supermarket and the restaurants in the train station were also great.

When we got to our room, the bags were all already inside. The room was quite roomy, clean and much more contemporary than the more old-school lobby would suggest. It was a twin room but the beds were wide enough for one to accommodate both my wife and our 2-year old.

Checkout was simple, and the quick walk to the train station was a real pleasure. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a useful base to explore Nagasaki. We wish we'd had more time by the way, and should have stayed 2 nights.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel New Nagasaki? Share your experiences!