“Clean, budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Taiyo

You added Hotel Taiyo to your Saves list
Hotel Taiyo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-2-23 Taishi, Nishinari-ku, Osaka 557-0002, Osaka Prefecture   |
Ranked #144 of 268 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Me and my Husband stayed here for approximately 5 nights. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with good English. The rooms were clean and tidy. My only complaint was the smell, we were staying on the 5th floor and I'm guessing that at some point the whole hotel was smoking and I think the tatami matting has soaked it up, like all smells you get used to it though. Other than that was a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed 3 nights with my wife at this hotel during our trip to Osaka.

Plus points
- Cheapest ever in osaka
- Public bath is a great experience, as we do not go for Onsen.
- Free Wifi and sharing PC is definitely a great one.
- Clean room
- Accessible to major station and near to ShinSeiKai
- English speaking staff and they are friendly

Minus point
- 2 sharing shower room only for the entire hotel. Need to wait for your turn, else can go try public bath.
- Old and slight odor tatami Japanese bed

With the money I paid, I do not complaint.

Room Tip: Try to ask for room where Western toilet (sitting) is available, if you are picky and not used to Ja...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My recent March 2012 stay at Hotel Taiyo in Osaka was tolerable for the one night that I was there. I stayed here on a trip with three other friends on a short stopover in Osaka before moving on to Kyoto. The free WiFi worked well and was a positive, as was the proximity to both the Osaka metro and the JR. Outside of that, the Japanese style room was very small and no frills, with just enough space to sleep on our tatami mats and fit our luggage upright. The room and hotel felt very worn down and old and wasn't especially clean. Western-style toilets (though clean) were on every other floor of the hotel. The surrounding neighborhood left little to be desired. There wasn't anything especially horrifying about the stay, but if I were staying there for longer than the approximate 12 hours that I was there, I probably would have wanted to rethink my accommodations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Bandung, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was stay in this hotel during my stop over stay in Osaka. its budget hotel easy to find from Train Station. You only walk for 5-10 minutes. From Kansai Airport take nankai line to Namba station and cost you about 830 yen. The Room was small in Japanese style. Every floor they have toilet but shower only available in the Ground floor and quite clean enough with soap and shampoo inside and of course Hot water. They also provide you a public bath with different time arrangement for women and men. They also have western toilet if you cannot use japanesse toilet. As I leave early morning, they provide you hot water if you want to make your own coffee. Osaka main station only a few minutes from Namba Station by JR. Compare than other hotel in Osaka, this is a choice for Budget Traveller.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Taiyo is fine for if you only plan to spend a night in Osaka and are leaving early the next day - as we did. (Too be honest, I feel there is really little to keep travellers in Osaka if you have visited other non-descript Asian cities before).

I found the showers clean. I didn’t have time to use the communal bath. The room was a bit musty smelling and my pillow seemed to have been stuffed with odd shaped beads and trinkets rather than feathers or foam; however, my partner had a rather comfy pillow. The man on reception was very friendly.

They asked us to leave the key at reception when we went out after checking in, which was unexpected. The area around the station is pretty depressing and my advice would be to dump your bags and get somewhere a little brighter once checked in. Access to the subway and JR line is fine, just across the road.

Overall the hotel served a purpose and was good value for money (4000 for twin room, 2000 yen pp). I never plan to set foot in Osaka ever again, but if I was forced to, I’d possibly stay at Taiyo again if I was on a very tight budget. Maybe…

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed with a group of 30 students in this hotel in March 2011. We were surprised by the fact that there were only two private showers available for the entire hotel. You can imagine that is not convenient at all when you are with a large group on the same schedule. There is, however, a public bath, but we found the shower times for men and women a bit inconvenient (our group consisted of mostly men).
The hallways, toilets and washing facilities were ok, but did not leave a very clean impression. The two showers and the rooms were decent though.
The rooms are small with two mats to sleep on. There is hardly any space to store or (un)pack two suitcases.

On the positive side, yes, the location is good. You can easily walk to the Namba and Den Den Town districts. Also, the subway station is right in front of the door and the JR station is a 1 minute walk away. The neighbourhood felt a bit unsafe though. I did not like to walk there at night.
Also, despite all my comments on the quality of the hotel, I must admit that the staff was very friendly and eager to help.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I was staying there only three nights and just because I was really tired I didn't change the place.The room was clean but had weird smell, I guess you can get used to it, it was also quite worn. The staff didn't speak much english,so when I went to reception with a request about aircon it was hard to explain. When we finally made it,the receptionist was trying to turn on my aircon but he simply didn't know how.
Also beware of the location of your room,mine was next to the toilet, everytime when someone was in there I feelt like I have visitor.
Pros
-japanese style public bath at the ground floor(afternoon and evening was for men,then from 9 to midnight for ladies)
-japanese style tatami room
-cheap
-clean
Cons
-smell
-communication
-can be noisy

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Taiyo? Share your experiences!