“One of Osaka's Finest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monterey Osaka

You added Hotel Monterey Osaka to your Saves list
Hotel Monterey Osaka
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3-3-45 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001, Osaka Prefecture (Osaka Station / Umeda)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #63 of 268 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Queensland, Australia
“One of Osaka's Finest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Hotel Monterey Osaka is a peaceful very comfortable hotel with easy access to JR Osaka Station. Unique decor with a hint of 'old world european influence'. After checking in (we were about an hour earlier than checkin time yet we were greeted very warmly and given access to our room straight away) we went to the lift loby, a gorgeous experience like stepping back in time with timber and brass features. When the lift arrives at your floor you have to use your room keycard to access the floor from the lift, this is a great security feature. When opening the door to our room we loved the extra feature of a small extra space, excellent to leave your suitcases, then a doorway on the left leading into our private bathroom and then another doorway in front leading into the bedroom. We had a twin room which had two larger than most single beds each with a bedside table (rare in Japan). Room also had a small round table (big enough for two) with two chairs. A jug was also supplied for making a late night or early morning cuppa (green tea bags supplied). A large screen TV with excellent reception and great choice of Japanese TV (I love the Japanese TV soaps, have no idea what they are saying but it's great viewing). A decent size bathroom with shower/bath toilet and vanity area and an extra large mirror, what more does a girl need? A great window with shutters and a small but reasonable size nook for hanging some clothes (not really big enough to be called a wardrobe, but big enough to hang your clothes for the next day). Every day the room is serviced with meticulous attention to detail, bed linen is changed and fresh sleepwear is provided along with slippers. The bathroom is restocked with all essential items, toothbrushes/toothpaste etc. Take some time to have a look around the hotel as it does have it's own chapel which unfortunately was not open when we went to have a look but regardless the surrounding grounds are definately worth a look.
The location is just perfect for travellers as there is only about a ten minute walk from JR Osaka Station to the Hotel and when you have suitcases, closeness is essential. There is a convenience store and scrumptous bakery nearby also. The only downside was no guest laundry! The lovely lady at the hotel reception desk said we could use the hotel next door laundry or have our laundry sent out (but this is a very expensive option). The hotel next door's laundry was in their carpark and didn't really apeal to us so we handwashed the essentials! When you travel it is essential to have a coin-operated laundry for guests use.
That being said we could not fault the hotel for the room.

Room Tip: Twin room is an excellent option for family / friends travelling together, a little extra space in t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is the right choice to stay in Osaka. It is located next to JR osaka station and very closed to Umeda subway station. You can find everything you want in that area. Hotel decoration is nice and very unique. Room is big compared to other Japanese hotels. I chased triple room with extra bed for my son and still have space for my 2 luggages. Room is clean and nice. I very much like this hotel. This hotel should get my 100% satisfaction, except only when I checked out from the room. I left my SONY brand new power bank plugged on the power outlet and forgot to put in my luggage. When I was on the way back to Thailand and realized about thtis, I emailed to ask about this. But hotel said it is not in the room!! I did ask hotel to re-check with housekeeping staff who was in charge of my floor on that day, but hotel still said the same. I knew it was my mistake to leave it in the room, but I am definitely sure it is in the room. So it is just the matter of WHO took it. I am only disappointed about this integrity issue, but can't complain more because it is my fault. Anyway, if i have chance, I will go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Hotel Monterey is located nicely close to all of restaurants and shops. The twin share rooms are decent size however the single room is very small.

The hotel is nicely decorated. At the lobby there is a church where some local people getting married there.

The only problem is that the room temperature is not adjustable. We found it a bit too warm and not enough fresh air.

Room Tip: There is no fitness centre and no English tv programs.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The picture of rooms in the hotel website are truly fairy tale...though the hotel tried its best to keep clean, but the hardware of the hotel is totally disappointing. With no bottled water, no 24hr convenient store nearby, pls dun expect one can relax in the smallest room, even if after far distance walking from metro or jr station. It is more disappointing that the room size of one equipped with queen bed is the same as one with standard double bed, and it is not easy to have space for moving. At last, thanks to the male staff serving me on 10/12 for his arrogance which motivate me to write this review.
Furthermore, pls monterey hotel osaka fix its followup email to visitors, as it is inviting ppl to comment on monterey la seour but not monterey osaka

Room Tip: If u dont care about walking for 10 mins from hotel to jr station, n dont care about small room, it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

- Go to Sakurabashi exit (near JR Lines Central Exit), go across street, go through the restaurants and computer stores, exit the other side, go straight across the street and Monterey is the yellow building right beside Hotel Hearton. Expect 5 minutes walk to JR Osaka Station, the busiest hub of Osaka!

- Small room but exactly as shown on its website and spacious enough even with 2 big suitcases

- My room had almost no outside view. Nothing to see outside except your neighbors' windows

- HDMI on the TV didn't work. 5 boring nights I had to endure. At least the free Internet works.

- pretty good Internet speed (max 2.2 MB/s) but terribly unstable for multiplayer games

- Starbucks is just outside at revolving door exit

- The usual bathroom amenities

- Electronic toilet has anti-odor - absolutely no smell! This is must-have feature, especially for a small room!!

- As always, pillow too low and no spare ones. Had to stack clothes

- Skinny ppl would find the bed hard. I find it satisfactory. I did had 8-10 hours sleep each night despite audible train sound

- Old. Sips outside cold air by the window sill. Terrible insulation as with most Japanese hotels.

- If the ”Do not disturb” sign is used, housekeeping would place a bag full of replenish toiletry supplies outside your room. While this is a very good gesture, they didn't realize the other meaning of the sign, which is: ”Shoo. Go away. Be environmentally friendly and go bother someone else please. If I need anything I will ask for it”. If you take the bag, another new set of supplies will be placed outside your room. If you don't take the bag it will stay there for the duration of your stay (5 nights for me).

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The primary motivation for me to pick this hotel is the location - near the Osaka train hub. Good home base for travels to Kyoto, Nara since it's one train ride to these destinations. Breakfast is fairly sufficient for the price.

The facade of the hotel is rather "un-inviting", I was slightly confused whether I'm in the right entrance or because the first thing that greets you in the ground floor is a garage with no front desk staff in sight. You have to find a small doorway where you will find elevators and a little sign there that says "go up to the 8th floor" to find the front desk. Good thing the sign was in english.

Internet connection is very important for me and I was pleased to know that there is both wired and wireless options. I've been to four other hotels here in Japan in this same period and wireless is not very common inside hotel rooms, so I find having wifi in this hotel a good exception.

Room Tip: This is very near Osaka train station and if you are a light sleeper, select rooms that face away fr...
Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent here last night before leaving Japan. Very friendly staff, we left our luggage one day before check-in (as we went to Koya-san). We emailed hotel a day before with request, they answered promptly. 10 mins walk from Osaka JR train station. 3 mins walk to Kansai airport limousine bus (1500 yen). Starbucks in front of the hotel. European -style decent size rooms with all necessary amenities. Tea/coffee kettler. Comfy beds. We did not try breakfast ( 1785 yen per person sounded a bit pricey).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monterey Osaka? Share your experiences!