“Nice Hotel with Large Room (some train noise)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monterey Osaka

You added Hotel Monterey Osaka to your Saves list
Hotel Monterey Osaka
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3-3-45 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001, Osaka Prefecture (Osaka Station / Umeda)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #63 of 268 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Tokyo
“Nice Hotel with Large Room (some train noise)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I got the hotel for a business trip on a 50% off website and based on that it was a great deal. It is a fairly new hotel designed in imitation European style even having a fake chapel for weddings The room I was given was very large by Japanese hotel standards and free high capacity wifi was great. Security is good with key card needed to get into the rooms on the floor. The only slight complaint is that even though I had an internal room, you could still hear the trains coming and going on the train track as the hotel is right next to the track and they do not seem to have done a great job at sound proofing, Still, overall given the nice big room and modern facilities I would stay here again especially if I can get a cheap deal, Make sure you get an internal room as I think the ones facing the train track would be a bit too noisy. It is close to Osaka JR station and walking distance to Umeda and Hakyu Umeda department store.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great find, especially with a 50% off sale on Hotels.com. The location is within easy walking distance from the Osaka train station and there are lots of conveniences nearby, including restaurants, the airport bus stop, shopping, etc. Although my room overlooked the train tracks and highway below - with the Osaka skyline beyond - it was very quiet. I also appreciate the nice, European-style décor, good lighting, and high-speed wireless internet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Monterey_Group, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Hotel Monterey Osaka, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Natalia K,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your voice with us.
We are thrilled that you like our architectural design, location and hotel amenities. Thank you for your kind compliments.
For your information, on our hotel website we offer the best rates along with various stay plans and detailed hotel information. Please visit the site at your convenience.
Thank you once again for your patronage, and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincere regards,
Chiangmai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Monterey Osaka is part of the Monterey group that leans towards European style design (including very often a chapel -- but it is very secular place to stay). Expect some antique style lifts, especially the dial inside the elevator that tells you what floor it is moving towards. This hotel has a lot of wedding receptions because some Japanese like this Euro-Asian feel of the place. Book queen bed even if you are single, and you don't need to complain about small rooms. Service is very good -- I came one day in advance, dumped my luggage and next day when I checked in, my luggage was inside the room. Hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Osaka Central station (NOT shin-Osaka where the express trains stop -- you need to transfer to Osaka station). Location is conveniently 5 minutes from Herbis Plaza where you can take a bus to the airport for 1,500Yen.

Room Tip: Book a queen even if you are travelling solo
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

After reading most of the reviewed here, we booked this hotel. My hubby, 2kids and I were happy to find the hotel just nice and exactly like the good reviewed in tripadvisor. The church in the middle of the lobby, the entranced, we didnt have any difficulty to get here.

Down stair there was supermarket and beauty supply store.. 10 minutes walked to shinsaibasai n Dotonburi a must place to see the crowd, find place to eat and shop..

About the tear and down review... We didnt see it bother us, everything was clean clean clean, nice toilet at the lobby, the hotel just feel warm.

This was the right hotel to stay for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Monterey is walking distance to JR trains and major shopping, dining areas; safe; clean (though feels a little tired); double rooms are very small (twin rooms are a little better); Reception staff are friendly enough; wifi is excellent..but, the trains are very audible; there's always a strong sewerage smell at ground level where you enter the hotel and once inside (probably not hotel's fault but unpleasant nevertheless).

We're staying 5 nights and using it as our base also for day trips to Kobe and Kyoto which are half an hour away on the JR Special Rapid service.

The downside is not an issue because we leave in the morning and return at night - by that time even the trains have just about stopped operating so we get a good night's sleep!

Also it's a few door up from the Hearton Hotel which has an inexpensive coin operated laundry available in the basement for non-Hearton guests as well. You may need to buy some washing detergent if you want extra clean, though it is supplied. If you're on the road for a while like us, this is the best discovery!

Good hotel at a good price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you are looking for a place that with convenient location, this is it.
My room with great panoramic view of Osaka. Really beautiful!!
Room is no doubt clean, but bathroom and bed is rather small.
But good enough for traveler like me.
Hotel staff understood my English, except i have to speak slow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked this hotel mainly for its location which is near Osaka station and the Herbis airport limousine terminal and also the reasonable price compared to other hotels in the same area. I arrived at Osaka Station from Kyoto and departed to Kansai Airport using the airport limousine so the location of this hotel is very convenient.

Overall, the hotel has a vintage European theme (I love the elevators and the lovely room near reception desk for guests to sit and chat - not sure what the room is called!) while guest rooms are decorated in 3 themes. Reception desk is on level 8 so take the elevator up. I had booked a single room (Donau classic decor) but to my surprise, I was given a deluxe single room (I think!) with Donau classic decor which is more spacious (the room was largest out of all the hotels I stayed in during my Japan trip) and comes with a double bed and a sofa. The bathroom was also the largest I had during my trip and came with a normal size bath which was great! The staff did not inform me that they had upgraded my room so it was a nice surprise when I entered the room. I had arrived before check-in time so I left my luggage with the reception. When I returned hours later, my luggage had been brought up to my room so I only had to take my access card and go up to my assigned room. The access card is needed to enter each guest room floor so security is assured.

Full toiletries and amenities such as electric kettle, drinking glasses and mugs, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, bath sponge, razor, toothbrush set, hair brush etc are provided in-room. I got a room facing the railway tracks but noise is not a problem as the room comes with double windows - there is a foldable wooden window which helped to keep noise out when closed.

Being near Osaka station also means you are near (if I recall correctly) 3 other subway stations that are all connected to one another underground. It also means you are near shops, shops and more shops both underground and aboveground. The hotel is also connected to the shops and train stations via an underground walkway (Station garden city - i think that is the name).

The instructions to the hotel from Osaka station is to use the Sakurabashi exit. I couldn't find it on arrival - Osaka station being big and crowded; it is afterall one of the busiest station in Japana - so I took a slightly longer route by walking outside the station. Nevertheless I had no problems locating the hotel. Staff spoke good English so communication shouldn't be an issue. The only drawback of this hotel is that the furnishings and the carpet in the room looks tired so some renovation will be good!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Monterey Osaka? Share your experiences!