“Excellent location and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel New Hankyu Osaka

You added Hotel New Hankyu Osaka to your Saves list
Hotel New Hankyu Osaka
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-1-35 Shibata, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8310, Osaka Prefecture (Osaka Station / Umeda)   |
Ranked #132 of 266 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
3.5 of 5 stars 558 Reviews
Malaysia
“Excellent location and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Chose this hotel due to airport limo bus pickup location at its entrance which is very convenient. The rates are much cheaper while booking thru the official hotel website compared to the online booking portals. Hotel is slighted dated but still neat enough. Got the family room which had 4 single beds, all others are pretty standard for japan eg heated toilets, free toiletries, heating etc. Free wifi is provided in room, where they provide a free LAN mini-router with password.

This hotel is situated on top of the Umeda subway station which is a central point for all other rails as well. To get to the hotel from subway, look for exit 1 or 2 or the airport limo exit. Can't get any better than this location, malls, supermarkets and restaurants are all around. Moneychanger that is in the hankyu station/exchange above Kinokuniya bookshop level, provides best exchange rates to yen and closes at 7pm daily.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The lacation is excellent, right next to the Osaka station and close walk to shopping buildings and restaurants. Airport bus leaves/arrives right at the entrance of this hotel.
Hotel building is very old but huge, had to check the floor map at the first time, i wonder if they added up more rooms later in the past. The room we booked was at the end of the extended hallway, took at least 3min walk from the lift.
We booked for a Triple room and that was a joke. We guarantee the room was meant for a double room originaly and was poorly added an extra bed in - which left the room almost no space to walk through. Even after romoving a few furnitures there is just enough room to walk along side the wall. No space for opening suitcase nor relaxing at the end of the day. TV was a tiny old one which I wish I could remove it to make some more space. The bath room is the size for one person, I have no idea how this hotel expects 3adults and 1baby to spend many nights in this room. As soon as we walked in this room we rang the frontdesk to upgrade and the answer was the space won't be much different even we pay so much to upgrade, and due to the availability we need to come back to this room a few days later. We regret very much for booking a reasonable room but this is just not what normal people can imagine even for a reasonable price. Very very disappointed. I visited the hotel website later but the Standard triple room picture we found is difinitely not the room we stayed (We booked for a Triple room on Expedia). I wonder they have hidden room type not shown on the website?
Hotel service is good but always busy with too many customers to deal with.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights. Right outside the main JR train station and subway station. Also one of the first stops for the airport shuttle bus service. Hotel staff are warm and efficient. The location is right in the middle of the Kita area which is one of the two central areas of Osaka. We had an awesome view!!
The only down side was that the room size was very small but you would except that for Japan where space is very expensive.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel is situated about 50meters from the Osaka JR (rail) station. It is a very large hotel. The staff are very friendly and all speak perfect English.
The rooms are a good size and super clean. I had breakfast which was quite lavish however it can get busy. I noticed that if soon after about 7.30, you and to wait to get a place to sit. So if you are in a hurry in the morning, you may want to take this into consideration.
The hotel does not have gym or swimming pool and if you want to use wireless then they provide you with router. However I never got it to work for my iPad.
The hotel has bus service that takes you directly to KIX Kansai airport. It takes about an hour and costs 1500yen. Again there is chance that you may have to wait to get on the bus as it is pretty busy in the morning. The buses leave every 20 minutes.
The hotel is the centre of Osaka and perfectly located to walk around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a summary of what I wrote to the hotel after our stay:

"Feedback on our stay on 24 Oct 2012

I have reserved a Japanese style room for my stay. Upon check-in at around 3pm, I was given a western/Japanese room with twin beds. I was quite upset at the time as the whole episode took us almost half and hour to resolve (what actually happened is that I refused to wait and said I will come back in the evening and hope everything would be sorted out by then after wasting half and hour trying to sort out the problem).

We came back in the evening at around 8pm, we were given a key to a Japanese style room with a very brief one sentence apology with no explanation. Late, we discovered that the beddings (futon) were still in the cupboard (Oshiire). Since this is a hotel, not a hostel, we naturally expect someone can help to set those up, so my husband dialed for assistance but were being told to do it ourselves.

By then, we are just feeling very tired to pursue further.

We are very disappointed with the service level of your establishment and your employees and will not stay with you again and certainly will recommend our friends to stay away."

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed one night on business trip, my company's Osaka office booked for me.
SERVICE: Friendly. Upon arrival (friendly and swift check-in), I received a smoker room instead of non-smoker, as booked. However, the problem was solved and within 10 mins I moved from 8th to 9th floor.
ROOM: Very small, as frequently in Japan, so no surprise, but this one was really veryvery tiny. Anyway, the worst were the smelly carpets in the bedroom, the stained wallpapers in the bedroom and .... the bathroom. I guess the bathroom had seen it's last refurbishment in the late 1970s. All gray-beige-mostard-colored incredibly outdated equipment. The plastic floor in a very sorry condition (like in the bedroom, I did not dare to touch it barefeet). Bed OK, but the day-cover is stiched to the blanket, so that you have to sleep without cover, if you don't want to touch the smelly day-cover.
BREAKFAST: Buffet-style in the basement. I had Japanese, which was OK, but not really good.
LOCATION: Perfect, close to train station and shopping/restaurant area.

I will never come back and I cannot recomment it at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

booked a single room for 5 nights with request of specific room location and received confirmation from reservation. However I was given two rooms to chose from while check in but both of them not I requested, of cause worser, at south wing, far away from the elevator and I almost lost my way to back to the lobby. I refused both rooms and show to the front desk the email from their reservation, the front desk told me it was a mistake but then told the specific room location I requested already checked in by other customers. I insisted because made the request a month ago, therefore the pretty front desk lady very unwilling to give me a semi double room and said 'no change anymore', as if it is my fault.

Location, absolutely perfect. surrounded by osaka station city, yodobashi, countless restaurants. and limousine station to and from KIX. next to JR and subway. A convenient store just next to the hotel.

Guest room- fairly small even I stayed at a semi double room but at least I can open my cabin trolley.
Strange smell from toliet and dusts in room, especially at the wardrobe. And very dark at the room even you switch on all lights. Fridge not chill enough.

I would give 8 out of 10 given the location of the hotel. However, it worths only max 4 out of 10 given the service of front desk and cleaniness of the room.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Hotel New Hankyu Osaka? Share your experiences!