“Need nicer clothes for this Very Classy Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Osaka

You added The Ritz-Carlton Osaka to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Osaka
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2-5-25 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001, Osaka Prefecture   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$200 Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 268 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong
“Need nicer clothes for this Very Classy Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We arrived on Nov 2, the first day of a long weekend in Japan. The hotel was very full so we took a Junior Suite.
Room: The room was elegant and amenities were luxurious, needless to elaborate. Nevertheless, I was amused when I spotted the plastic garbage bin in the bathroom - it matched exactly with the marble tiles of the entire bathroom.
Access: We took the limousine bus from the airport and got off at Herbis plaza/hotel. Ritz is a few mins walk from there. There's a small directional sign which points you to the hotel.
Location: It's within 10-15 mins walk to JR Osaka station/subway line. A much faster way (which all the locals take) to get to/from the osaka station is via the underground passageway (ask the hotel for details) where you can bypass all the traffic lights. However it's a horrendous maze down there, try it if you want to challenge yourself. There are big nice shopping malls and lots of restaurants around the station.
Staff: Very polite staff. Very impressed with a bell staff Nishikawa-San, she was so friendly and energetic.
Concierge: The young gentleman at the concierge desk on the evening of Nov 2 was very cheery and extremely helpful. The lady staff who helped us in the subsequent days did not seem to be as enthusiastic.
We love the hotel but the Ritz is probably too classy and elegant for the casual travelers. We noticed that all the Japanese guests (including those sitting around in the lobby area) were very well dressed, to say the least. In fact, they all looked like they were going to a high society banquet. We will definitely return but will make sure we bring along our best clothes next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed in the Executive Suite of Ritz Carlton Osaka from 25 Nov to 29 Nov 2013. Three weeks prior to our arriving in Osaka, I had been in touch with the concierge services of the hotel to arrange a day trip for my partner and I to visit Kyoto on 28 Nov. From the minute I interacted with the hotel's concierge service, I received absolutely wonderful service. I was helped tremendously by Ritz Carlton's outstanding concierge, Ms Shoko Iwasaki, who accomodated my every request and ensured that every attention to detail was paid to arrange a pleasant visit to Kyoto which include a visit to Nijo Castle, a day onsen with lunch, a visit to Gion, and a delightful private geisha dinner. I cannot thank and commend her enough for all her graciousness, professionalism and efficiency. It is staff like Shoko who made our stay at Ritz Carlton Osaka a memorable experience. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a top quality luxury Osaka hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Second visit last night to this very nice hotel.. I stayed in a Club Lounge Suite, which was very good, European style, and very comfortable. However, upon opening the bed to get in, there were three patches of dried blood on the sheets. Not small patches either. Events unfolded:

1) Call to the Resident Manager - Unable due to lack of receptionists English ability.

2) Call to Club Lounge Manager - we got a very weak response, a lot of "Gomenasai" - With a limp apology of some free soap!!!! YES!, LOL!! Soap.. no kidding.. Ironic indeed.. They changed the sheets in a flash, but I'm left very sore with regards to their Customer Service..

3) "S" Splendid Restaurant - Now, avoid this at all costs.. Its Italian, and though its nicely decorated, its a sham. Huge publicity here for this hotel regarding "inaccurate food labelling" - I took no notice, so had a shock at the disgusting food served here. Bland, unsavoury, dried Spaghetti, plus another dish. We complained, and soon apologised with a "No charge". Also, very draughty, although nicely decorated..

4) Club Breakfast very limited, although Eggs were great, and cooked to order.

I have to stay again in the future for business reasons, however, my advice would be to find something comparable like the ICH, its brand new.. and seems locally to have a very good reputation.

As I said, its a nice hotel.. First time was great, this time no.. Unlucky?, maybe. The restaurants however, need to smarten up, and get a good F&B Manager to shake things up there.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel was everything you would expect a luxury hotel to be. Great customer service, beautiful rooms, executive lounge worth every dollar and a perfect location for sight seeing or jumping on a train. Easy access from the airport.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive floors to access the best lounge of anywhere I have stayed.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights over 3 weeks in Oct to Early Nov.

What can we say - we will be back again and again.......

We came in from the Hotel via Airport Bus and Ritz sent a shuttle to pick us up after we called them from the dedicated phone at the bus stop! The Ritz Driver/staff jumped off his mini bus, and picked all our bags and placed them neatly onto the bus before leading us to our seats. We did not have to lift a hand. Wow - this is service.

Check in was smooth and swift and took less than 5 minutes. All the front desk staff were smiling and greeted us warmly.

Room was what one expects and more. Stayed at a few Ritz before and Osaka stands out for room, service and all that.

During our 3 stays we were at the Conciege daily for tips and restaurant bookings. They never seems flustered and always had time for us. During our trip I left my iPad at another hotel and the Conciege contacted them for me. I received my iPad the next day! They are like your personal secretary.

On our return of our last leg we found that our large bags which we left with them, were already placed in our room. Such is attention to detail. Another instance - the staff ran after us as we were walking out for dinner to hand us umbrellas even though it was not raining!! They told us that rain was predicted later on our return and it did!!!!! Action speaks for itself!!!

Try out the gym too - great hot baths!!!

Waiting to return again next year!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

A typical Ritz Carlton layout plus great service from the staff - from the front desk to the concierge makes for a wonderful stay in
Osaka. Location with easy access to the underground link to trains,
Malls and subways is great. A highly recommended stay away from home.

• Stayed November 2013
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've been fortunate to stay at a few Ritz-Carlton hotels; this one was on par with my experience and expectations in terms of decor and service. Upon check-in, I was offered some cold juice, which was really nice. Every staff member I encountered was more than helpful and polite. The hotel is linked via underground walkway to Osaka Station, which is quite convenient (one stop away from Shin-Osaka station, where the Bullet Train stops). As is typical of Japan, there's a huge network of restaurants, cafes, etc. that you can access via this underground walkway. In the basement of the building is a "restaurant street" (totally contrived, but does the trick) of a pretty wide range of restaurants -- so if you don't want to eat at the hotel and don't want to walk far, just go to the basement and walk 40 feet. Back to the hotel -- it's not necessarily a "deal" to stay here but if you're into this level of service and like this kind of decor, you won't be disappointed. Bathrooms were stocked with Asprey products -- nice. Towels were very white and fluffy. My mattress was a little on the soft side but overall the bedding, etc. was great. The only odd thing was that the tv was "old school" -- no flat panels yet -- worked fine and had a large screen but struck me as odd in what is otherwise considered a "fancy" hotel. In general, the Ritz properties are not my style -- I tend more towards more modern/minimalist interiors -- but I cannot at all complain about "having" to stay here.
On a side note -- there was recently a big scandal in Japan about hotel chains and department stores misleading customers by claiming to serve fancy foods, etc. when in fact they weren't -- Ritz Carlton Osaka was one that admitted to some issues -- I didn't eat here but I can't say that I would be overly concerned about it. (This issue seemed to be related to their Japanese parent company) Not ok for businesses to mislead customers, but on the other hand, in the big scheme of things, I don't think that this particular issue outweighs the benefits of staying at a hotel like this, and I want to believe the management when they say that they've rectified the situation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Osaka? Share your experiences!