“I'd rather skip sushi for the duration of my trip if this was my only option” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Musashi Sushi

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Oakland, California
“I'd rather skip sushi for the duration of my trip if this was my only option”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

On day 6 of my trip, this was made a destination based on the reviews. After shopping in Nishiki market, we walked over to Musashi. The food was absolutely terrible. It was depressing to watch the same foods circle around getting dry/warm.

I had four plates and didn't even finish 1 of two pieces because it was so disgusting.
And I got sick.
Seriously.
Like, "hotel...NOW"

I'd rather miss out on sushi for the duration of my trip than eat here. Japan and NO SUSHI. And I absolutely LOVE sushi.
I'm signing up for trip advisor JUST to advise this as being a Must Miss. I have NO idea why it has good reviews. Don't waste your time. I wouldn't eat there if it were free.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Honolulu
“Great budget sushi place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We originally saw this place listed in the Lonely Planet Kyoto book...it's a bit outdated (lists the price of sushi plates at 100 yen, it is now 137 yen, still a great bargain). Our B&B hostess also recommended Musashi when I asked her for kaiten zushi recommendation. It was walking distance from our B&B Keiko (see our review on B&B Keiko).

The first night we must have got there at peak hour...we waited about 10 minutes for two seats at the bar. Not bad at all. There's an upstairs seating area too. They have menus in English and servers who speak enough English to make ordering a breeze. We ordered most of our sushi from the menu, but even the conveyor belt sushi was pretty fresh. Unlike the previous reviewer, we didn't have mangled fish, etc. We actually went back a second night for a light dinner.

My favorite was the hotate or scallop. Fresh. Boyfriend's favorites were the natto and tekka makis. Although we enjoyed pretty much everything we had. The only thing we didn't care for was the seared salmon. There seemed to be a seared fatty salmon and a raw one. The raw one is way better, but it's not on the menu. Don't point to the one on the menu because they only have the seared fatty salmon on the menu.

Musashi is easy to find, they take major credit cards and they offer takeout.

We're not posting photos here since ours have copyright information on them and those aren't allowed on Tripadvisor so if you'd like to see some of the photos we took at Musashi, please feel free to contact us.

It is a little cramped and it's a conveyor belt sushi place. If you're not into those sorts of things, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for inexpensive but fresh, fast sushi, this place is great!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Was excited to try this conveyor belt sushi restaurant located within 4 mins from our hotel as the displays looked awesome - tempting us everytime we jaunted pass it. However when we finally went in for dinner one day, we found the sushi was prepared in a hurried manner and the rice were literally falling apart when we tried picking it up from the plates. Some had torn pieces of fish spread across the rice and although the food tasted fresh enough, we were not sure how long the dish had been circulating on the belt. If you are not into wasabe, look for the special plates or inform the chef to prepare your choice sushi without wasabe.

Staff was polite and helpful and fast to response to requests. Restaurant was always packed while we were there, probably due to the good value and interesting experience if you have not tried eating while food whizzes pass you but I would not go with a high expectation on the food.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great kaiten sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I really liked this restaurant! It is not the best sushi you will ever eat but nevertheless it is still very nice. The place is super simple but the service was very good. The best thing though, was the price, very cheap! Great place to stop by for a quick, plentiful and cheap lunch, I ended up eating there almost every day of my stay in Kyoto.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Cheap but average taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went out of convenience, as we passed it and had seen the review of it here. However, we found that the the taste is just ordinary. If compared to Midori in Tokyo (shibuya), it's far below in quality and taste. The ebi in musashi is tough, the salmon doesn't melt in your mouth. However, for a quick and cheap sushi, go for it. But don't expect much.

• Visited June 2013