“Charming place with beautiful small touches to make our stay wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ryokan Shimizu

Only Direct Booking Offer
Ranked #7 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Charming place with beautiful small touches to make our stay wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've been wanting to stay at the Ryokan Shimizu since 2008, but each time I tried to book, the ryokan is always fully booked. I was so glad that I finally got to stay there during my recent trip to Kyoto.

The ryokan is about a 15-20mins walk (with luggage) from the JR Kyoto station and is in a pleasant, quiet neighbourhood. It isn't a luxurious place, but is warm, cosy and good value for money.

The check in was a bit late at 4pm, but what I loved about the place was the warm, friendly service and the little touches provided that made our stay wonderful. We were served hot genmai tea each day after we returned from a day out (I think this only applies while there is still tea available) in the chilly Kyoto weather, and we were even given heatpacks before we set out on a particularly chilly day. On our last day, the friendly staff gave us coasters depicting the different temples in Kyoto as a going away gift.

The rooms are small but cosy. I liked that the sink/dressing table was just by the door so that one can take a final look at his or her reflection just before leaving. The ryokan has no lifts, though. It only has two floors so you might want to take note of it. I felt so bad that the nice gentleman had to carry my 20kg luggage up the stairs!

Overall, my stay at the Ryokan Shimizu has been very pleasant. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Kyoto,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in Ryokan Shimizu on our first days in Japan. It was also our first visit to Japan and it couldn't have been a more charming introduction. The staff was incredibly helpful and gracious and the room was spotless. The location was perfect, close to the train station, but away from the hubbub of downtown and the main streets. We highly recommend this fine ryokan!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

When you travel to Japan you should stay at a place like this! Ryokan Shimizu gave us the real Japan-feel.

Finding the place was a bit of a search coming from Kyoto Station, so take a map or good directions when going to the Ryokan.

The people at the Inn are all very nice and interested. They gave us tips about the city and places to visit. Their English is excellent.

Our room was small, but since there are no beds (only futon mattresses) there is enough space for luggage.

Most of the room was clean, although the door between the bedroom and washing table was really dirty! Maybe they should put a new layer of paint on it.

Breakfast looked very nice. You get lots of small cups with different kinds of vegetables, rice (off course) and (cold) fish. I didn't find it that special though.

Although the stay was very comfortable I probably would not stay much longer then a view nights. I'm too much used to the comfort of a hotelroom I think. :-)

Kyoto is beautifull this time of year (November), especially all the temples and all the trees that we're changing there colours. And next time we want to see the cherry blossom!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a very nice stay at Ryokan Shimizu. The staff were very friendly and the language barrier almost non-existant. Its situated a little down a side alley, but still very close to central Kyoto, train station and temples are just a few blocks away. They room was tidy and well cleaned and spacious compared to western style hotels in Japan. If you are the type who spends lots of time in thier room however, I dont reccomend that here as it's quite traditional and there isnt a lot to entertrain you besides tea. We never even turned on the small tv provided. We enjoyed the traditional Japanese breakfast, and Im a little sad we werent booked in on days where we could join the staff for activities. The bed was comfortable, the blankets very warm though it didnt seem they would be, and even though there are signs posted for quite hour after 10, I saw no rason to worry as it was very quiet and I slept soundly. Would stay again on a future visit to Kyoto!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This ryokan is located about 5-10min walk from Kyoto station and there are eateries an convenient stores nearby. I made the reservation through emailing them and it was done smoothly without any problem. Besides that, they were very helpful answering all my questions and doubts during the process.

The room is well equipped, clean and very cozy, we loved it very much and rested well for 3 nights. The staffs were very friendly and helpful, they even arranged activities for us to experience Japanese culture. Highly recommend to those who would like to experience the polite and friendly home stay experience from Japanese.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were particularly impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The ryokan is handy for the station, is very clean and comfortable, and the breakfasts excellent. The cultural evening activities were also great fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The nicest people I've ever stayed with. I feel like I'm staying with family. There is always someone to greet you when you come in and they bring tea up to your room. Free wifi is hugely useful (especially in Japan where data can be an issue) and every Sunday/Tuesday they have a free "cultural night" where you can do basic calligraphy, Japanese language etc. Also, its only a 7min walk from Kyoto Station.

When we come back to Japan we will probably stay in Kyoto one night just so that we can visit here again!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Ryokan Shimizu? Share your experiences!