“Almost up to Westin standards....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Miyako Kyoto

You added The Westin Miyako Kyoto to your Saves list
The Westin Miyako Kyoto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Awadaguchi Kachocho, Higashiyama-ku | Sanjo Keage, Kyoto 605-0052, Kyoto Prefecture   |
Ranked #70 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Matsusaka, Japan
“Almost up to Westin standards....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and stayed here for 3 nights during the end of December. The hotel lobby, is beautiful. I had come by car so it was not the first thing I saw, but upon entering the lobby, I really admired the art and design of the entire lobby.

Check in was smooth, and I found the front staff to be amazingly helpful and very friendly. I spoke to her in Japanese, but she seemed proficient in English, as did the other front staff. As there was no one to escort us to our room, she had apologized profusely for making us wait, and in the end we decided to go on up ourselves. Granted, it seemed very busy, so I was not surprised.

The room was very nice, however, if I were to be very picky, there was a fairly large cigarette burn in the carpet, even though it was a non-smoking room. The bathroom was small, but it is Kyoto, so it was to be expected. The bed was, as the name states, heavenly! The view was beautiful too! One thing that would have made the stay better is if they had supplied an air humidifier in the room, as it was very dry.

Location was nice, and the shuttle bus was especially convenient. There is a subway a stone's throw away, but the shuttle bus takes you right to Kyoto station, and 2 other touristy areas along the way if you want to get off early (they can't pick you up from those spots though). I used the bus to get to Gion, Kyoto station, and to get back from Kyoto station, and all 3 rides were a pleasure.

We had ordered room service for breakfast and ate at Aquablu restaurant on one evening. The room service was on par with what you would expect, however they had forgotten the blueberry sauce for my waffles, which really was no problem, and they sent some up right away. Aquablu was not that great though. The service was quick, and the staff friendly enough, but the food was not terribly great. Admittedly, I had been recovering from food poisoning a few days earlier, so I didn't have the greatest appetite. For what it costs.....I would expect a whole lot more if it wasn't in the hotel.

I also used the fitness centre which was well equipped, albeit a tad small. There was no one in there, so it was no problem. I wasn't all that happy that I had to pay 500 yen to use it though.

Like most 5 star hotels, there were charges that you would think would be included such as internet in your room, fitness room charges, parking, etc.

Overall, it was a great stay, and I had a wonderful sleep each night, which had me ready to see the city the next day! I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms with a view of the city
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I enjoyed my stay. Ate at the restauraunt for dinner and was satisfied. Also took part in a tea cerimony. The grounds have both Japanese and Western style rooms. Location was in quieter part of Kyoto but suited me well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Kyoto is such a glorious city and this hotel really tops it off! It's location is great, the service is exeptional and it is so clean and comfortable. The kings bed we had was so devine and I had such good sleeps in it, I didn't want to leave! The breakfast was pleasant also! 10 out of 10!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The Westin offers very comfortable and reasonably spacious rooms. All staff from check in to room service are very friendly and go out of their way to help you. The hotel runs shuttles to the main station every 30 mins with stops at the two main attractions along the way. The hotel is in a quiet area with beautiful views over the mountains and walking distance to some of the main temples and zoo. We tended to eat out and found an excellent restaurant, KIRAKU, about 150 meters from the hotel which offered some of the nicest and reasonably priced food that I have had in my visits to Japan.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

For the most part I enjoyed my 6 night stay at the Westin. The hotel is a central part of Kyoto's wedding and ladys lunching scene and the lobby's life and design gives you the feeling of a grand hotel.

The hotel's location, next to a subway station and in the heart of Higashiyama is a great base to explore Kyoto. I used the hotel's bus shuttle service twice a day. It is by far the best amenity the hotel offers.

All the guidebooks praise this hotel. Price wise it was more or less on par with the Hyatt the other hotel that is praised.

The hotel's shortcomings are in it's food offerings, room pricing and layout.

Breakfast is just terrible. For 3,600 yen there is absolutely no choice at all. The omelette bar offered a choice of four, but the chef didn't understand english. I asked for a cheese omelette and got a ham omelette. I then asked for another cheese and got ham and cheese, then a plain.

The chef dipped a ladle into a bucket filled with some sort of egg mix. In a hotel that claims the highest standards each omelette should be made of eggs cracked fresh in front of the diner. All of the omelettes I did get were undercooked, watery and tiny.

Also the breakfast buffet had one small two slice toaster so there was a line of people waiting for it. There was no potato served. Basically there was no hot breakfast served.

The pastries were tiny and were kept in heated glass enclosure that turned them rock hard. Their "Superfoods" breakfast was nothing more than a few cereals. The fresh fruit offerings were poor. To make up for the 3,600 yen I loaded my bag with bananas.

The downstairs continental breakfast for 1250 yen was even worse. I didn't even stay long enough to find out what it was. ( I think it was a pot of tea and your choice of a pastry or fruit).

Your best bet would be to hit up the local pastry shops or food stores at Kyoto Station or in Pontocho for fruit and yogurt on your way back to the hotel after dinner. Then enjoy breakfast in your room in the morning ( there's a coffee and tea maker and mini frig in your room). You'll save 3,000 yen and eat far better. Don't bother with the executive club breakfast either. My suggestion to an ambitious local would be to open a breakfast place across the street.

The other major problem with the Westin is the confusing room categories with pricing that doesn't always match what you think you should get. The Westin website gives no description of the size of the room so you have no idea of what you are getting.

Over my six night stay I had the Junior Suite that was poorly lit, had low ceilings, a closet bigger than the bathroom and a view of a wall. The second room I had was the superior and the third was the deluxe. My superior room was bigger than my Jr. Suite. My deluxe room was smaller than my Jr Suite but was far cleaner and laid out far better and with better views.

At check in I asked the difference between the deluxe and superior and they couldn't clearly explain it. My favorite was the superior room with a city view.

Right now the Westin and the Hyatt are the only two "higher end" offering western style service which Asian tourists can't seem to get enough of. I can't speak for the Hyatt Regency because I didn't stay there.

So rest on the laurels tht the guidebooks give you now Westin because the Four Seasons has just announced a $250 million hotel will open in 2014 just down the road.

Room Tip: Buy breakfast food at local shop. The choices a the hotel are way overpriced. At check in they wi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We booked a club level room for 5 nights with points. The lounge access and option of free breakfast in the restaurant was well worth the 1,500 additional points per night. We liked the hotel location. A number of sites were within easy walking distance. We were lucky enough to be there during the light up festival and 2 of the nicest shrines were within easy walking distance after an early dinner. We used the hotel shuttle to get to the train station for day trips. That bus makes 2 stops on the way to the station that are also useful. The #100 Bus (express from the Silver Pavilion to the train station) stops 2 blocks from the hotel so that works North to South. If you want to get across town, east to west, you can use the hotel shuttle to the train station but get off at the first stop which is one of the main bus stations where we got on a bus to the Golden Pavilion. In the evening the shuttle’s 2nd stop in Gion is useful too. If you study the city bus route map for a few minutes it is fairly easy to get anywhere so pick one up at the concierge desk along with a street map. The main hotel map is not to scale and a bit confusing.

Our room was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large with a separate shower room. The hotel staff was great and helped with every question. The restaurant seating at breakfast was really slow and there was often a long line so it could take 10 or 15 minutes to be seated. Despite many employees at the door only one seemed to seat people. Maybe it kept the buffet from getting too crowded though since it spaced people out. My only real compliant from the stay was that we were on a non-smoking floor which is a big deal for me with asthma. Most nights the hallway was thick with smoke near the elevators when we got back after dinner despite the no smoking signs on every door. We were at the end of the hallway and were far enough away from the smoke so it was not really a problem. It seemed odd to us that the policy was not enforced but seemed more of a suggestion when we asked about it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

we stayed here on our first trip to japan. the service is good and the shared areas are nice. Breakfast is included and is quite good, with japanese and western options. the work-out area is not large enough for the hotel, but there is an indoor and an outdoor pool, which is nice. the location is what makes this hotel great-- it's less than a minute from the subway station and walking distance to the best shrines and temples in kyoto. i'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Miyako Kyoto? Share your experiences!