“Relaxing hotel tucked away in Eastern part of Kyoto” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Miyako Kyoto

You added The Westin Miyako Kyoto to your Saves list
The Westin Miyako Kyoto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Awadaguchi Kachocho, Higashiyama-ku | Sanjo Keage, Kyoto 605-0052, Kyoto Prefecture   |
Ranked #70 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY
“Relaxing hotel tucked away in Eastern part of Kyoto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I went to Kyoto with my husband and brought my mother with me - booked a special deal directly from the Starwood/Westin website.

Room: From our rooms, we had a view of the Japanese style cottage/villa - also available for rent if you can afford it... The rooms were spacious for a hotel in Japan, with separate soaking tub and shower. The room also came with complimentary water bottle which was great. Room also came with a mini fridge. Wide/flat HDTV - standard now in hotels. It was 22 years since my husband stayed in Kyoto and was a special occasion marking the anniversary - the hotel sent us a cake for the occasion which was a very nice touch.

Exec Club (10th and 11th fl): wasn't huge but private enough and had a great view overlooking Kyoto. If you have access - there's continental breakfast, tea/coffee in the afternoon and evenings, a cocktail hour (they also serve you a nice Japanese hors d'oeuvres per person) and free wifi in the club lounge area. (otherwise you pay a fee)

Service: they are very attentive and extremely polite - as expected in Japan. The bellhop actually demonstrated how to insert the room key and how you use it to light the room which was very nice of him but possibly a bit over the top.. we're so used to traveling and figuring out these things ourselves so it was kind of refreshing..?

Gym/pool: didn't have time to use but I understood if you have exec club access, which we did - access would be free.

Location: The location is in the far eastern part of the town which is also a benefit - quieter and walking distance to beautiful sites like Nanzenji, Enryakuji and Heianjingu shrine.
Con: But location can slightly be a con if you are trying to make the bullet train. it's about 15-20 min by car from the main Kyoto station. They have a shuttle bus 2x/hr but the driver was very unfriendly and not very service oriented throughout our stay there which was surprising when you are used to the services in Japan. On our last day, we asked to be dropped off at Shijo avenue so we can see the shops - we had our luggages but he stopped the bus next to a ledge off of the subway - no place to drop off a passenger because you have a low wall into the subway and can't get on the sidewalk until you walk past the wall. We were shocked that he couldn't just drop us off 2-3 yards away on a real sidewalk - in the pouring rain no less!! and my mother is a senior citizen.. We were very unhappy with that last experience. The shuttle bus stop at the Kyoto train station is hard to find - as mentioned in other postings - it's on the Hachijo-side closer to the Shinkansen train area. If you take a local train to Nara - you end up on the other side of the train station so you have to find yourself through the maze to get to the other side for the bus stop. Alternatively you can also take the subway - which is located just outside of the hotel and is convenient to use.

Aside from that, we enjoyed the view, great beds, good hotel staff and concierge services except for the bus driver. Overall actually had a pretty relaxing time during our stay in the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal with the Exec Club access - which they offer at times, best take that.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is our 2d stay at the Westin Miyako Kyoto--Japanese style room. The Miyako is an older hotel. We have never stayed in a Wester room so this review will be based on the Japanese style room located in the rear of the hotel surrounded by the garden.

While our stay has always been pleasant, the hotel could use a bit of refreshing--showing its age. The Japanese rooms are sparcely furnished, of course, but large. We love the cedar hot tub and being surrounded by the garden.

No complaints about the service here; always more than adequate and friendly--in the Japanese way. The front desk can, however, get a bit overwhelmed.

Buffet breakfast is very nice with something for everyone. Afternoon tea and cocktails also very nice. We also ate lunch in the restaurant in the hotel lobby--excellent but somewhat pricey.

The hotel provides a no-cost shuttle service with several stops in the main part of Kyoto including the train station; however; a lot of the sites of interest to toursists are within walking distance. If you arrive in Kyoto via train, you will find the Miyako shuttle just outside the small market located in the train station. I believe the shuttle arrives about every 1/2 hour; hotel should be able to provide exact info via email. Everyone I encoutered in the hotel spoke good English, and I received prompt response to email.

The best way to get around the city is by bicycle. I suggest renting a bicycle available from the concierge. The bicycles are power assist.

I don't know how anyone could have serious compaints with the Miyako.

Room Tip: The Japanese rooms are not for everybody; maybe ask to see first.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I was expecting a standard Western-style hotel, nice rooms and big lobby, the usual... we had just stayed at such a hotel in Tokyo (Keio Plaza). But the Westin Miyako definitely exceeded our expectations. The service, firstly, was excellent: most staff spoke very good English, and special requests were generally accommodated with a smile (I should note that we're gold-level Starwood fancypantsers, so they're probably inclined to be a little nicer to us). Since we were celebrating our honeymoon, they delivered a cute mini-cake to our room on the first night, very thoughtful. Our room had no view, but my wife was very happy with the garden ambience and sound of the waterfall and crickets outside our window.

Room was much larger than in Tokyo, and the bed was very comfortable, huge TV, nice funky reading chair and modern lamp. Bathroom was very spacious. The usual nice Japanese amenities: toiletries, pajamas, etc.

The lobby is very classy, and I liked the sweet herbal tea (complimentary) they offered each afternoon. We didn't try eating at the hotel as it was pretty expensive and out of our price range. I should note that we were on a Starwood "cash and points" award, making this hotel the most affordable of any in our 14 night Japan trip, and we're not your usual 4-star big hotel customers... we generally prefer small hotels (unless we get a great deal like this).

Stayed 4 nights and greatly enjoyed it. Loved walking to all the nearby temples: excellent location. As noted by other reviewers, food options nearby are not as plentiful as most parts of Kyoto, but the okonomiyake place they recommend nearby is a bargain and has solid food. We sometimes just found ourselves eating an early dinner more centrally after exploring and then coming home afterwards.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

In one of the replies below, I read that the General Manager of the hotel replied that:

"We do provide wireless service in our lounge as well as in the Lobby and Mayfair Tea Room and regret that it was not explained to you upon arrival."

This is news to me. I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. When I asked about free Wifi, I was told there was no free wifi anywhere in the hotel. Since I hate paying for wifi, I couldn't get online during my stay at the hotel.

"We do currently invest into our infrastructure to be able to offer internet free of charge in the future."

Hmmm...all I can say is I am not holding my breath for that. Plenty of hotels, including cheaper ones, offer free wifi. I can't understand why it's so difficult to provide the service if they really want to provide it.

Also agree with another commenter's remark that "One of the concierge was not too friendly or helpful." Actually when I talked to the concierge on the phone in my room, she was most helpful. When I actually went down to the concierge's desk later, I most probably met another concierge who seemed to have a very bad day. She stared at me blankly and was generally not keen to help. To be fair though, this was not typical of Westin Miyako. Most of the staff there were actually friendly and helpful.

This was my first visit to Kyoto and I've fallen in love with the place. I'd certainly be back there again and again, perhaps as early as November or December. Would I stay at Westin Miyako again? Difficult to say. Overall I don't think it's such a bad hotel. After all the hotel has a long history and it's not as if they know nothing about services. However, the location is really not all that convenient. There is a shuttle bus service but it only runs every 30 minutes, so we ended up taking the taxi instead rather often. Inconvenient location + no free wifi, these really count against the hotel. I think I'll make this my 3rd or 4th choice hotel. If I can find a room in a more convenient location, I'll give the Westin Miyako a miss. If I can't find something better, I'll settle for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The hotel is over 120 years old and it shows it. Staff is very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel shows signs of age. We first got a room in the older part which was very small and looked more like a 2 stars hotel with furniture and amenities. After complaining we were moved to a "newer" part that was slightly better-larger room but minimal furniture with a column in the middle of the room blocking the TV. One of the concierge was not too friendly or helpful. The hotel is located 2 -3 miles from city center ( a shuttle is provided). Restaurants are very pricey. Internet is $20/day.

Room Tip: get a newer room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
yoko_n1427, 営業ディレクター at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Thank you very much for your comment and we appreciate good comment for our staff. As you mentioned, our hotel has over 120yeas history, and we always work on keeping our property neat. However we are sorry about that we were unable to measure up to your expectations of the room. We have a large variety of rooms; therefore please let us know your preference when we welcome you next time. We would be happy to answer your request and make your stay comfortable as much as possible. Also, we are most grateful to you for letting us know of our deficiency. We are very sorry for your experience with our concierge. Your comment was very helpful and we are going to strive to improve concierge service. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel was OK, nice, but I can see why others have rated it lower due to slighly out-dated feel. My husband and I are American, and opted to try the Japanese style rooms - we stayed in Hana 1 - it was a nice room, very clean and minimalist - we didn't have time to properly research a Ryokan so this was our compromise. We were happy with the location and the hotel and would recommend and stay there again, but we would also like to try a traditional Ryokan as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
yoko_n1427, Director of Sales at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
Thank you for your comment. We are happy to know you were able to experience staying at the Japanese style room. Since the Japanese garden at our hotel, Kasui-en, is designated as a Kyoto City Cultural Asset (Scenic Site), Ialso hope you were able to enjoy our garden too. Thank you so much for your recommendation to others. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights last May. They had a family room which was quite large perhaps 60 sq.m. or more. Three full sized double beds in the room with a decent sized living area and even an ante room. The hotel and rooms looked old and tired though well kept. The place itself is very huge (sprawling property , big big building) and apparently very popular with weddings and conferences so it can be quite busy. You can walk around the grounds which are very woody and have nice views of Kyoto. The location itself is fantastic, very near many places a tourist would want to visit, walking distance to Pontocho lane for night life and food (about 2 subways stops though we never used it) and stop right besides the hotel to boot. Overall a fine stay with reasonable rates. I would recommend this to other people who are looking for a good location, comfortable atmosphere, reasonable rates.

Room Tip: We just called and asked for the best rate options for our group. No real secret.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comment! One of our specialties is the family room which fits 3 or 4 Heavenly beds in one room. I hope you and your family were able to enjoy and relax in the room.
Our hotel has over 120yeas history, and we always work on keeping our property neat. We are happy to hear that you liked our location. As you mentioned, we have the convenient accesses to sightseeing and transportation.
Again, thank you for your comment, and we appreciate your recommendation to others.

Sincerely yours,

Been to The Westin Miyako Kyoto? Share your experiences!