“A nice temple with garden” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 202 Reviews
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, Japan
12 attraction reviews
“A nice temple with garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have just been there. It's a comparatively large temple with beautiful modern paintings on the sliding doors. You can go through covered bridge to the main hall and walk in the garden. The garden with a lake is nice, there are a few colorful carps in the lake.

Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
19 attraction reviews
“From my first sight of the 800 year old camphor trees I knew this was a special place,and it is.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I hate to say this is the best because I am afraid too many people will come,but it is the best. There is a meditation room looking out on a beautiful garden and then your path winds around the house(nightingale floors). To another area where there are beautiful screens and amazing views everywhere. The peace and beauty of this temple and garden typify Kyoto's special elegance. I spoke with the gardener on the way out of this dream he was raking up non-existent leavesand was so kind as to accept my congratulations on a job well done. also there is a charming 13 course tofu restaurant served just across the street. Sorry I can't tell you the name as it was in Japanese alone

Kyoto, Japan
9 attraction reviews
“Go for the light up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

The light up here is very famous and definately recommended.
Its not run all year round so check before you go!

Tokyo
21 attraction reviews
“One of the most beautiful Japanese gardens I have ever seen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 days wandering around Higashiyama, and this was probably the highlight. We went when it was lit up at night and then returned the next day for a very different daytime experience.
The 800 year-old kusunoki (camphor tress) are a sight to behold (especially the one at the entrance) and the garden is one of the most beautiful I have seen in my 20 years living in Japan.
Also, because it is not so famous (I don't know why!), you don't have to deal with the line ups and crowds and can really enjoy the peacefulness, sound (there is a waterfall), and beauty of the garden..
Highly recommended

Visited November 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
25 attraction reviews
“The best Temple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

For me, this temple is the best in Kyoto. On the day here was so quite and not busy even Kiyomizu temple was limited to enter (Where we gave up to enter at the gate). View from a room, it is so amaging and I think there is very special atmosphire for meditation. Trees, flowers and moss in the small garden are all alive and I felt they had meaning to be there for telling us somthing about Zen spilit.
This is not big nor tourist sight on guide book but I highly recommend you to visit and you can see what a temple should be. It is not famous but it has many history and important for Kyoto and Imperial family. be there on tatami mat and listen What you can feel, see and think. I don't care if I have enough time to see all that I want to see but I can't skip this temple everytime I visit to Kyoto.