“Good food, good atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kiln

Kiln
194 Sendo-Cho Shijo-Sagaru Nishikiyamachi-Dori, Shimogyo-ku | 2F Murakamiju Bld., Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 600-8019, Japan
+81 75-353-3555
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 3,573 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: European, Japanese
Nagoya, Japan
“Good food, good atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The place was a little hard to find but, I'm sure glad we did.
It is located in a busy part of Kyoto but, you have to navigate through some narrow paths to get to it.

The inside decor was simple, tasteful and created a nice mood.
The floor manager was a gentleman and seated us at our own table instead of the huge (I mean huge) communal table.

We ordered the Caesar salad and it was delicious. It comes as a single quartered portion of a head of lettuce with a knife. Perfect sauce ration and seasoning.

For entrees, we got the Risotto and the Duck breast.
Both perfectly executed.

Everything was perfect but, if there was one thing I could comment on is the speed of the items being made and brought to our table. I feel like we spent an extra 20-30 minutes compared to another restaurant due to the speed at which our foods came out.
Other than that, superb. If I ever find myself back in Kyoto, I will be back!

• Visited April 2014

“European in Kyoto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

One of the best dinners I had recently!
Located in a lovely old part of Kyoto, next to the river, in a modern building has a simple relaxed ambience!
Delicious food with good friendly service! Nice ceramics from young Japanese potters on the large central table are used for tea!

London, United Kingdom
“Superb Italian Fusion Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel and was a great choice. The lady chef has worked in New York but Kiln has the decor and atmosphere of a cool Californian kitchen. A pumpkin soup was a triumph as was a pasta dish with a duck ragu sauce. The sourdough bread was worth the visit alone. The wine list is particularly strong on Loire whites. Service is kind and solicitous with good English spoken.

• Visited October 2013
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The place is very nice, has two large wooden tables where customers can share with others.
The best best is the open kitchen, it almost seems that we attended a play, where every character from the kitchen moves in coordination with the other.
To my pleasant surprise there bread, is delicious and you can ask for more.
I recommend the duck and salad kiln, although the menu changes with the season of the year.

• Visited August 2013