“Wonderful lighting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Side Hotel

You added Palace Side Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Side Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   380 Oukakuencho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto 602-8011, Kyoto Prefecture (Kawaramachi / Karasuma / Shijo Omiya)   |
Ranked #88 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Danville, California
“Wonderful lighting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Most hotels have lousy lighting in the room, often making it difficult to read. My room in the Palace Side had the best lighting of any hotel I have ever visited. The room was small, but they managed to squeeze the normal amenities into the small space. I had a small chest of drawers, which other guests told me they lacked, maybe because I had a single room. The temperature control worked well. The shower was adequate for me, and I appreciated the delightful Japanese toilet seat. I also enjoyed the fridge for cooling my sake. There were two small elevators that were fast and responsive. The staff were courteous and responsive, and most spoke good English. I did not, however, enjoy the food in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a chest of drawers
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Large room, but absolutely unusable bathroom. I had to shower standing sideways because there wasn't enough room for me to shower otherwise. I used the lobby bathroom as much as possible and contemplated visiting the public bathhouse down the street. The furniture and room needed some attention-- very old and worn. The bathroom was clean, but the carpet was disgusting. Luckily we had some disposable slippers from our previous hotel that we used.

Even though the hotel advertised room temp control, it's not quite correct. Once they flip the switch to heat, you can no longer cool your room. Only heat it. My husband and I were really hot the first couple of days, and then a cold front moved in so we finally got comfortable without having to open the window (which has no screen).

The worst part is that the hotel is located by a hospital and a fire station. Three of the four nights we were there there were no fewer than three emergency vehicles blazing their sirens in the middle of the night. I didn't get much sleep.

The hotel staff was helpful and spoke English well. The Fresco down the street is pretty nice and the laundry facilities were great.

The free Wi-Fi in the lobby worked well, but hotel computers are full of malware. Despite advertisement, there is no in-room safe and having to drop the key off at the front desk is irritating.

I can't recommend this place and won't stay here again. My husband and I were counting down the nights until we left.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Venice, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Central hotel with very spacious rooms, located next to the garden of Kyoto Imperial Palace, 5 minutes walk from the bus station and Marutamachi metro station. Large foyer with two free internet terminals. Excellent value for money!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in the Palace Side Hotel for almost a week to attend a conference, followed by some sightseeing around Kyoto (I had seen most of Kyoto already during my first visit). The room was clean, and although small (for Western standards, for Japanese standards it was probably above average) big enough to be comfortable. The hotel has free internet (wifi only in lobby), a restaurant with decent prized meals and the staff spoke adequate English. You can get a Y 100 discount on the good breakfast buffet if you buy your ticket the day before.

Although the hotel is next to the Imperial Palace, it is not close to most major sights inside Kyoto (which didn't matter to me as I already seen those). There are also not many restaurants on walking distance. However, it is within 5 min. walking of the subway, which was very convenient for me. Close to the subway station is also a 7/11 with an ATM, in case you run out of cash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice modern reception area, with free wifi. Shame the rooms hadn’t been maintained to the same standard: ours was distinctly outdated, and a more than a little tired, in terms of both decor and furnishings.

The location was okay - not far from the subway. We walked to the centre quite happily in the evenings, but it’s not close, and we’re probably more inclined to walk than the average hotel guest. That it’s next to the Imperial Palace isn’t really much use for anything - most of the sights are on the other side of the city.

It was the best option we could find on a public holiday weekend, and there’s probably a reason that it was available. It was fine, but I’m sure in other circumstances you could do better.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

What a wonderful hotel. Have stayed there on two trips and loved it. Once a daughter was with me and she sleeps in so I strolled all over the palace gardens across the street. The pictures I took were spectacular. The dining area is nice, the lighted sitting area outside, beautiful. Once there was music in the entryway where a piano sits. The staff is helpful and always there. Top notch!

Room Tip: Can take a bus or taxi to the shopping area of Kyoto but this hotel was convenient to one Kyoto stat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fribourg, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Same principe as the Garden Palace Hotel, which is next door, but a bit cheaper.
Very clean also, perfect location and possibility to rent bike for the day.
We didn't try the breakfast though, but the buffet seemed quite all right!
I would totally recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palace Side Hotel? Share your experiences!