“I 'll be back...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 168 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Jakarta, Indonesia
“I 'll be back...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We came at April 2013, avoid to difficult to find it then we call taxi from railway station, even we know its near the station, and everything so easy to work, just checkin with machine (all machine after booking by email) then we find the "room", little bit wonder because the door looks like a container box ! but we find an nice room ( not too big for three persons ) with a nice kitchen, livingroom, bathroom with luxury ofuro place and we go upstairs for sleeping. We can find fruits shop, bakery, yoshinoya around it and not far from railway station (where big and looks like a mall) 5 minutes walk. Yes in the quiet and traditional area.

Room Tip: ask for ground floor because no stair, bring small luggage
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I loved the environment. it has a short walk to the most busiest station in Kyoto!
The rooms are super clean (as everything is clean in Japan anyways!). I really enjoyed my one night stay at this guest house and I wish I could stay more. I really enjoyed the showers I was extraordinary :))

The staff are helpful and kind although there is no reception, but the staff will show up with a bell as soon as you need them.You need to climb to get to your bed but I found it fascinating! I will definitely go back here when I go to Kyoto!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I travelled her last October with two friends. So it was three of us in one room. The room was legendary in its design,in terms of making so much out of the space available. There was a small kitchenette, a refrigerator, the japanese style compact bathroom (the bathroom was fairly spacious) a small living area with a couch, a wall mounted tv, mini closet for storage, a table and chair with a computer! Then there is a ladder that takes you upstairs to the second layer (where you can only sit and not stand!) , that space has a futon (or a matress) large enough for three people. However one of my friends slept in the sofa , and the two of us used this 'bedroom'!

The location: its about 15-20 minutes from the main kyoto station, follow the locations clearly and its hard to miss it. It is located in those cute narrow alleys which houses a lot of traditional jajanese style houses. There is a little box outside with your keys in it and they send you the password for the box much earlier by mail. You need to use that password and take out the key and can proceed straight to the room! There is also a buzzer, and if pushed the guy (or his wife) come out, they speak fairly good English and can help you out. so unless you summon them, its hard to meet them :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Reservation : Made our reservation through booking.com for 2 nights
Location : Took a little time to navigate to this hotel nested among houses. There are a few restaurants but the only convenient store we found is near to the Kyoto train station which is about 5-10mins walk.
Reception : They have no reception and we had to call them for help when we reached as the instructions given to us wasn't of enough help. A guy soon showed up and helped us to our room. He soon realised that he forgot to leave the instructions for us on the mailbox.
Room : Room is spacious compared to the others we had in Japan and comes with a small kitchen, washing machine, TV (double up as a Desktop) and a small living room. Bedroom is located on the upper deck a ladder climb away.The desktop is also connected to internet! Aircon and fan ensure that the room is warm.There is no house keeping during our stay which i believe is available for a extra charge for a longer stay.
Overall : Nice stay and will definitely go back if we visit Kyoto again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Over my 2 weeks stay at Japan, this hostel got my best rate - it's cheap, you got free wifi, PC access, TVs ( 1 set in living room and another one inside the bathroom), washing machine, cooking utilities. And I like the simple and minimalist design of the room a lot. The only downside is you could hear voices and noises from next door. If you are a hard sleeper, that's alright. The location is like 15 - 20 mins from Kyoto station and its bus hub. The guest house is located at a quiet neighbourhood. At late night, it's hard to find any open restaurant unless you willing to walk back to the Kyoto station. Luckily, there's still a convenient store about 5 mins walk. The owner is a nice guy who can speak English and will explain the inside out of the room. I only manage to stay 1 night here but if I ever come back to Kyoto, this definitely will be my no 1 choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Guest House Sun Rich Kyoto Station? Share your experiences!