Stayed here for 3 nights and is my 4th time to Kyoto. The reasons for choosing this are location and price (10,000 yen for a twin room without breakfast). Extremely cheap!
- directly opposite JR Kyoto station (go towards Karasuma exit)
- is only 10-15mins walk from JR station platform and 3mins from bus interchange
- Porta mall exit C is a few steps away from the hotel but please don't exit there with suitcase since there is no elevator but steps. Take the main walkways.
- is the best place to start your sightseeing with access to buses and subway and JR/Kintetsu rail
- get a bus pass for 500yen and you can covered 99% of the sightseeing areas. Subway is more expensive.
- lotsa food and shopping around the area (behind the hotel is a supermarket at B2 of Yodobashi, there are also lotsa electronics, cosmetics, stationeries, etc available). You can grab water, instant noodles, fruits, snacks)
-JR Kyoto has many restaurants, Isetan and other shops for young and trendy ladies)
-Ogawa coffeeshop is just right downstairs for breakfast/coffee/dessert
- there are no historic sites within 500m but if you like you can visit Kyoto Tower which is just 50m away
- HUGE! At least 30sqm with plenty of room for luggage.
- comfy beds but not so good pillows.
- good sound proofing and extremely clean
- I wish their towels were more fluffy and thicker
-as usual they provide amenities like shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, razor, combs, cotton buds and sshower gel like other Japanese hotels
- the decor is basic but I can't complain for the price
- I know some reviews mentioned tiny rooms, just make sure you don't choose semi-double room if you like space. Is only a little more for that space which I reckon is totally worth paying!
- free wifi and fast speed
- our room has the view of JR station. This is apparently only for twin and bigger rooms. The other rooms hardly have any windows.
- check in is at 3pm and checkout is 10am so is not great for those that arrive early from Osaka/Tokyo however they do keep the luggage for you and Japan is safe so trust them with your bags
-polite and basic English spoken
- self service is expected for moving your own luggage ans helping yourselves to the free maps, sightsee info and free facial masks at the hotel lobby.
- they provide safe keeping of passport since there is no safety box in the room.
Overall this is a highly functional hotel at a good price and accessible location. If you are fine with no frills, this is definitely for you. Do book early as I see that is very popular with tourists. I had to scout for many booking sites before finding an available room using Japanican.com.
Ps: there is a takoyaki van selling delicious octopus balls outside from 9pm. Pls try it being a famous local snack.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.