“Exquisite beef - not to be missed” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Toronto
“Exquisite beef - not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate at Hafuu on our last night in Japan and it made a perfect "last meal" so to speak. It is located on a small one way street just south of the Imperial Palace but has a clear sign with Arabic lettering saying "Hafuu" to identify it.

Inside you sit at a bar opposite the chefs and watch them prepare your meal, hitch is an event unto itself. Note that this is a nice restaurant - we felt a tad under-dressed in shorts and pools, but at 36 degrees at 8pm, we were not about to put on pants! Luckily the staff there are very kind and no one made us feel embarrassed about our casual clothes.

If you order the set menu, bear in mind that the meals are HUGE - two appetizers, salad, soup, a rice of bread side, the main course, dessert and coffee. So maybe don't eat lunch... Or breakfast. There are a la carte menus as well for those with less appetite.

We tried both the sirloin ad the fillet, both were fantastic. I had the seafood appetizers (the $75 option) and my companion had the beef appetizers (the $95 option). The seafood was spectacular, but if I were to do it over again (and not eat for two days beforehand) I'd go with the beef.

Atmosphere and service were both fantastic. They did everything from explain our menu in clear English to ordering us a cab at the end of the meal. Truly a delight and not to be missed, even if its a tad out of our usual price range!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Kyoto, Japan
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Amazing Teriyaki steak! Melts in your mouth. Seriously, really good. I'm probably going to go back very soon. I have to write 100 characters here, so you can ignore this bit here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We tried one of the pre fixe menu options and loved it. The sukiyaki was absolutely amazing. The soup of the day was a cold corn potage - deeply flavorful and delicious. The wagu sirloin was the best wagu I've ever eaten--melt in your mouth tender. Everyone at the table was served a different dessert. We loved tasting all the different things the restaurant had to offer. Not inexpensive but well worth the splurge!!

Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Wagyu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I came here during our recent trip due to the very positive tripadvisor reviews. Hafu lives up to the hype. We came for lunch and were seated in front of the cooks. I ordered the wagyu beef lunch special and my wife ordered the meat balls special (includes rice, veggies, miso soup, etc.). The steak was so tender and juicy, I'm drooling writing this review. Also, it is fairly priced especially for Kyoto. Service was good.

Make sure to ask for the English menu if you need it. This place has two locations due to popular demand so if you're in the area make sure to put them towards the top of your list if you love great food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kyoto, Japan
“Great Japanese and Western Combo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Excellent place, tucked away from the main streets with a very charming Maitre D. Not your traditional Japanese food but very tasty and good value.

Visited July 2013