“Very Colorful” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$106*
and up
Kyoto Full-Day Sightseeing Tour including Nijo...
Ranked #46 of 398 Attractions in Kyoto
Type: Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Museums, Tourist/ Visitor Centers, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: This shrine was built in 1895 in celebration of the 1100th anniversary of the founding of the city of Kyoto. Admission is free but there is a small fee for entrance to the gardens, which are home to several beautiful weeping cherry trees which are in bloom during the spring months.
Wakefield, MA
179 attraction reviews
“Very Colorful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This shrine was built in 1895. It has a huge Red Torii Gate across the road which leads up to the shrine itself. The shrine buildings are very bright and colorful and the gardens are very pretty especially when the cherry trees are in bloom.

My husband and I had 1 full day to spend in Kyoto so we booked a good will guide to take us around and I let him choose which temples and shrines to take us to. I enjoyed all the places that we visited, some more than others. I may have chosen different ones if I had done my own research. I knew Kyoto was famous for its temples and shrines and that is what I would be seeing when I was there. My advise to you would be to choose the ones that sound the most interesting to you.

Visited April 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“One of the better shrines and fabulous gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

This shrine is recognisable by the huge gate that is over the road that leads up to it. The shrine itself is a vast courtyard with gravel grounds, and vibrant coloured shrine buildings in a square. There are then gardens surrounding the back of the shrine which are well worth the 600 yen entrance fee. We went in May but I imagine that a month earlier with the cherry blossom they would be stunning, and also in the snow they are also said to be good.

Toronto, Canada
70 attraction reviews
“Boring Shrine But Great Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We've been here before and knew that the shrine itself is really not very interesting. We went back this time for the garden which is fine. Not the best in Japan but still pretty good.
As you walk up through the gravel towards the main shrine the entrance is off to the left. It costs 600 yen each which is a bit expensive but in dollar terms I guess its not so bad. The garden winds in a big circle around three sides of the shrine and most of the time you wouldn't know you were in a big city. There are all sorts of features typical of a Japanese landscape/stroll garden and its very tranquil.
We happened to go just before cherry blossom time and so it was a bit barren in spots. But that shouldn't bother you if you're going after early April. This is a nice place to spend an hour or more just enjoying the beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. Don't forget your camera. There's lots of picturesque shots.

Visited April 2012
Foshan, China
84 attraction reviews
“peaceful grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

You can visit the shrine for free, cost 600yen to get into the grounds. It is quite out of the way compared to other shrines, so if you are going there you might as well visit the grounds as well.

Beautiful park like grounds with a lake and covered bridge across. I think the grounds would be at there best during the spring as the cherry trees would be in blossom as would the field of irises. The benefit of visiting in December was that it was very quiet.

Allow 1-2 hours for a visit.

Visited December 2011