“Just wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kyoto Yoshimizu

Save Saved
You added Kyoto Yoshimizu to your Saves list
Kyoto Yoshimizu
3.0 of 5 Ryokan   |   Bentendoue, Maruyama Koen | Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 605-0071, Japan   |
Ranked #9 of 192 Kyoto B&B and Inns
“Just wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This charming inn is just wonderful - it's in the middle of one of kyoto's most beautiful parks, which is itself full of temples and glades. It's a good 10 -15 walk to get to anything but the location is so stunning it's worth it! The building is beautiful, the rooms are simple and well appointed and the atmosphere inside is warm and peaceful. But what really makes this place wonderful are the people who run it. Takuya and all the staff there are simply some of the most helpful, warm and friendly people you're ever likely to meet.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bondi, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Right up the back of the park, it's about a 10-15 min walk up the hill from Gion (5-10 mins on the wy back down). The reward for the walk each day is a peaceful and friendly ryokken that is close enough to the action while feeling a mile away from it. The park would be beautiful outside of winter but was still a pleasant stroll in the cold. We stayed two nights and had our own toilet. For us, two nights was about enough to enjoy the ryokken experience and we stayed another two nights at Monterey hotel to see the rest of kyoto (and enjoy a mattress). The best value ryokken we could find and definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A beautiful ryokan in a wonderful location in Murayama Park which has some of Kyoto's oldest temples. The rooms are clean and have only basic amenities, to our surprise we had to make the bed ourselves including laying down the mattress, apparently a Japanese custom. Breakfast was also wonderful a quirky mix of western and Japanese foods. Would definitely recommend this ryokan to anyone wishing to experience a little of old Kyoto.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed five nights here recently and I had such a great experience. I was really looking forward to staying in a traditional Japanese ryokan and Yoshimizu ticked all the right boxes.

Finding the place was not a big problem thanks to Google Streetview. I managed to walk to the inn with my backpack in 15 min from Gion-Shijo station.

I've never had better service from hotel staff -- everyone seemed to love their job so much. I enjoyed sleeping on a futon (surprisingly comfortable), soaking in a hot tub and breakfast was really great! Only minus point is that being a traditional Japanese inn, the walls are paper thin. Thankfully my neighbours were all considerate during my stay.

I'll be making return trips to Kyoto and I'll be sure to book a room at Yoshimizu again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Travelling on my own I was lucky enough to obtain a one night booking at this Ryokan in the hills of Kyoto. This was my first stay in such a place and first visit to Japan. I was so incredibly impressed with the authenticity of the place and the staff were extremely helpful with planning my visit. I especially enjoyed the hot-tub and making my own futon! The ryokan is located in such a beautiful part of Kyoto and visiting at the end of autumn, it was truly magical. I recommend it to anyone visiting Kyoto and I definitely have plans to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I came here not really expecting much, to be honest. I worried about the long walk that people have mentioned but after staying here for a night in late Nov 2012, I came to regard that walk back to the ryokan (Inn Yoshimizu) as part of the collective experience of staying there. In Singapore, we don't usually get fresh air and see much nature but at Maruyama Park, there was so much to take in - especially the gorgeous autumn leaves we managed to catch, the song of the birds above us and the cool crisp air.

Takashi welcomed my husband and I when we arrived and served us delicious tea. We really loved the place - it was welcoming, quaint and rustic yet clean and inviting. He was friendly and Kika helped us bring our luggage to our room. We didn't get the room with a private toilet unfortunately but Takashi showed us to the shared bathrooms which served our purpose for that one night stay because we could actually use a sign to show that the bath area is in use. There was a small hot soaking tub which my husband and I excitedly utilised. We didn't find the bath times constraining - in fact we wanted to go back early because walking through the park in the dark is not really my idea of fun! But we went back around 9 pm or so and it was safe :) Takashi also walked through the area map of the Inn and Kyoto with us so we had an idea of where to go and eat etc, which was very useful.

The toilets were good too and very clean. My husband and I loved the Japanese toilets with the bidet sprays etc.

We had a room on the ground floor that looked out to a peaceful lovely garden. It was truly beautiful. I like that there was a heater mat in the centre of the room so it ensured that our feet was kept warm. They provided yukatas for us to sleep in and we had the fun experience of laying out the futons ourselves. It was quite challenging moving around because everything is on the floor so there was much kneeling/crawling but it was great because it gave my husband and I a glimpse to the Japanese home culture and lifestyle.

The walls felt thin so we mostly spoke in quiet whispers in the room so that we won't disturb others or be overheard!

My husband fell sick though during our stay here and Kika was very sweet and willing to help. She gave us painkillers and a hot water bottle and a cold towel to bring down his fever. She very sweetly enquired after his health the next morning too.

The Japanese breakfast was very interesting and filling and it was with much regret that we couldn't stay longer. But we will be back for sure, if we ever come by Kyoto again! I'd probably get a better pair of walking shoes/boots though because my feet ached so much by the time we came back - this location required a lot of walking to the places we wanted to go, e.g. Gion, Potoncho, and the famous temples.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kyoto Yoshimizu? Share your experiences!