“Great location and service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Ohanabo to your Saves list
Ohanabo
3.5 of 5
Ryokan
  |   66-2 Shokuyacho, Shimojuzuyamachi Agaru, Akezudori, Shimogyo-ku | Higashihonganji, Kyoto 600-8158, Kyoto Prefecture (Kyoto Station)   |
Ranked #3 of 347 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
West Lafayette
“Great location and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I loved my stay there, even just one night. The staff are so nice and helpful. It's only 10-mins walking distance to the Kyoto station. We love the dinner and breakfast there, really healthy and delicious. They only have wifi on 1&2nd floor, so no internet on 3rd floor. Overall, it is a great traditional Japan ryokan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elise317

Okinawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at Ohanabo with our 10 month old son and it was fantastic. The rooms are massive by US standards let alone Japanese standards, but the warm friendly staff and unbelievable kaiseki dinner put it over the top. The owners and staff speak English very well, and are very knowledgable and helpful about Kyoto attractions. The futons are extremely comfortable as well. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank imac_traveler
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay here. I travelled In early November and stayed 2 nights at the Ohanabo Ryokan with my partner. We booked dinner on the first night and breakfast for both mornings- all traditional japanese style.

We stayed in a gorgeous room, number 201- ask for this one!
Our room had several rooms inside, with a modern western style bathroom and a nice sitting area separate from the main room. The yukatas they provide for your use are really beautiful (don't feel silly, they are worth a try!) and each room is separated by sliding shoji doors. The futons were super luxurious, the best I slept on in Japan!!

The staff were amazing. So friendly and helpful, they were very approachable, explained about all the food and spoke a wonderful mixture of english and japanese. The maps and tourist information they provided was excellent. They went above and beyond. We left for they day and forgot a water bottle, so the staff member jumped on their bike and rode after us to return it. Seriously!

The traditional kaiseki dinner was an experience!
Lots of weird stuff! But plenty of normal delicious food too, including strips of kobe beef cooked on a burner on the table, tempura prawn and vegetables, a piece of cooked fish, miso soup, rice etc. The food just kept coming and I really enjoyed it.

I really loved the japanese breakfasts.. One day we had tofu cooked freshly at our table and it was incredible. Always a few weird jelly things, but mostly delicious food. Oh and the coffee is really delicious!

The onsen was lovely and warm. A bit weird taking a public bath, but luckily no one came in while I was there and I could enjoy it all to myself. I would recommend using the lovely onsen.

Location- perfect! About 5-10 minutes walk in a straight line from the central Kyoto station. Bus stop just around the corner, and a Lawson's across the road.

I can't recommend this Ryokan highly enough, I think that is all I can say =)

Room Tip: Room 201 is the room we stayed in, and we both loved it, so this is the one I recommend.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Caroline W
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We loved staying here for 2 nights during our trip to Kyoto.....(first two nights here, 3rd night at Hotel Mume).
It was a great experience staying in a traditional ryokan - sleeping on the floor, having your food served to you in your room etc. I would highly recommend it!
The staff are sooo lovely and sweet, especially the owner who actually DROVE us to Hotel Mume when we checked out! It was so sweet and kind of her! The Japanese really are amazing people.
My recommendation for going to Kyoto would be to stay half at this Ryokan then the other half at Mume - to experience both. I'm glad we were able to.
The beds were very comfortable and it was easy walking from the train station to the hotel. (the cute staff of course came and met us half way!) Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights at the Ohanabo while in Kyoto for a class. I wanted to experience a traditionnal Japanese ryokan, and I have to say Ryokan Ohanabo far exceeded my expectations. The service was amazing, everyone was very friendly and made me feel at ease; I never felt out of place as a Westerner withouth knowledge of Japanese language or culture. When I left after 5 nights, not only did they help me find another great place to stay, but they arranged for my luggage to be moved while I was in class.
My room was large, airy and clean. The futon that was laid out was soft and comfy (for a futon). I had a room with attached bathroom, but I actually never used the shower, preferring the fantastic communal bath. Dinner, ordered in advance, was served in the room: I sampled the kaiseki dinner, the shabu shabu and the sukyiaki; it was very exotic, and very tasty. Breakfast, Japanese or Western style, was served in a common room on the ground floor. The Japanese breakfast featured several small dishes all exquisitely presented.
I would recommend anyone whishing to experience traditionnal Japanese hospitality to try it at Ohanabo; there may be more luxurious ryokans around, but given the quality of service, the Ohanabo is a great deal. This is a very different experience that requires an open mind, good knees and back (sitting on the floor and sleeping on a futon), and I would advise to do some research on the net prior to arrival. I had a mind-blowing experience which I will remember for a long time!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Andreanne75
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stayed one night in this traditional machiya with dinner and breakfast. I was glad that they accepted my reservation as I am only staying for a night and was travelling solo. Everything with Ohanabo is excellent. Location is great, just a 5 minutes walk to Kyoto Station. Very easy to find. The cute lady boss was so cheerful and you will always find it a joy chatting with her. I had booked a room without bath but they gave me a room with private bath at no extra cost. How sweet! It was Spring so Kaiseki dinner was served. Very sumptuous and delicious, and the Kobe beef was good! It was very well presented and you can literally feel the chef's sincerity with his food! The friendly staff that served me dinner had a limited command of English, but nevertheless, he never gave up explaining the dishes and chatting with me. After dinner, the staff will lay the futons for you. The futons were very thick and clean. I had a very good night rest. As with all traditional machiya, I could hear the guests' chattering in the adjacent room and the occasional sliding of wooden doors, however, the Japanese are very well-mannered, it was all very quiet after 10pm. My room was facing the temple and I could see the beautiful cherry blossoms outside. Lovely! Breakfast was served in the Dining Hall on the 1st Level. And needless to say, the food was just as delicious. Tofu was very smooth. They gave me a packet of sweets when I checked out. How sweet again! Will stay with them again next time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank diadia20
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I had the most delightful experience at the Ohanabo Ryokan. After staying at a terrible hotel in Kyoto for 2 nights, we were really looking forward to our Ryokan experience. We were easily able to walk there from Kyoto Station, and we were delighted to see the Higash Hongan-ji Temple right across the street. The Ryokan is easily recognizable by the pictures on the website and there is a small sign out front. The staff was absolutely delightful. The owner greated us and spoke very good English. The ladies who served us dinner did a great job of explaining everything that we were eating. Our room had a view of the temple across the street and even though we were in the middle of Kyoto, we felt transported back in time and never had a problem with noise. We personally opted to pay extra for a room with a private bath and did not use the public bath although we did see that they were immaculately clean. Do not be alarmed by the Japanese style pillows. Allow we were a little leery at first, we slept very comfortably. The beds were also nice and the blankets were so fluff. We were initially unsure about how to book this Ryokan, but we had great success using: http://www.yado-web.com. All of our correspondance was with: yoshitomi@yado-web.com. Their first email to use got caught by our SPAM filter, but after that we had no problems with the reservation and they were very prompt. I cannot recommend this place enough! We were looking for a traditional Japanese experience without staying too far from the city and without paying exhorbitant prices. Ohanabo, while pricier than our other "western" style hotels was perfect for a single night respite in Kyoto!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple