“A nice compromise between new and traditional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sakura

You added Sakura to your Saves list
Sakura
433 Kamibentencho Shimokawaradori, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 605-0822, Japan (Kawaramachi / Karasuma / Shijo Omiya)   |
Ranked #24 of 89 B&Bs / Inns in Kyoto
Seattle, Washington
“A nice compromise between new and traditional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at this modern ryokan in September. Kyoto was super hot during those days--I am told it's always more so than the other cities because it's sitting in a bowl.

We liked it. We were excited by the whole concept of staying in a differently styled hotel but we also liked that it had all the amenities that one may desire--AC, Wi-Fi, super relaxing shower, tidiness all over. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. Like all things Japanese, this ryokan is also very small for your average western traveler. I don't know how many times I have hit so many parts of my body, but hey, it's not like you live there, right?

We thought that the breakfast was expensive and very poor. Not worth it. You can have nice food everywhere you go. The staff was friendly and more or less able to communicate in English. You have to do your futon bed every day and they give you a nice kimono (great for taking pictures, but also quite comfortable).

The location is also good. It's right opposite one of the main temples and right off a big road where you can hop on the subway and on most buses. It's about 15 minutes walk from the Kyoto central station.

In conclusion, I am not in love with this place--I felt that to some extent it was fake--and I wouldn't go back, but I am glad I did and I am happy I made the experience. I would recommend it for no longer than two days. Reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay here because of good reviews from different blos, forums and trip advisor contributors. Sure, it was really nice, clean, comfortable... I have no complaints whatsoever. We enjoyed our 4 night stay in this ryokan. They have a really good price, it's just right not too expensive nor cheap. They have free wifi but only in the lobby but if you're room is just on the ground floor then it reaches your room - room 103 to be specific. It's small, we all expect that and they indicate it their website so it was really not an issue. It was clean, very clean. They also provide yukata and change it every two nights. Robert, their front desk at night, was so helpful. He's so helpful to teach you with your itinerary and even will assist you with all your reservations like restaurant and such. It's near the bus stop so it's easy to go to kyoto station.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Great location. The city center is five minutes's walk away. Bus stop and subway station are at its door. Room was big and bright and quiet and had great view. Even the bathroom was very spacious and clean. Nice bed with down comforter. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed for two nights in this very new and modern ryokan and we thought it was lovely!
The rooms are a little small and the bathrooms are really tiny (but we found that in many places) - but it is so clean and comfortable and we were really only there to sleep so the small space wasn't too much of a problem. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I was ill one day and one of the staff looked up a doctor for me and drew me a map of where to go etc and what characters to look for on the sign etc - was so nice of her! I have only taken points off for the small room and it is quite pricey.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Bern
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed at this Ryokan in April 09. I found their Website on the Internet and I loved the pictures. But in reality I was disappointed. We booked especially the VIP Room because of the private garden but got the first nigth a normal room with only a small window where you can squeeze yourself out somehow and then you have like 1 meter of private space divided to the inner patio - this room was dark and felt very claustrophobic and I went to ask if this really was a VIP room and they told me yes....then I insisted of getting the VIP Room from the picture where we could move the next day. This room was better, with much more ligth and a small terrace and a tiny garden. But the room and bathroom still small and honestly I was disappointed about this place - I expected from the pictures so much more than what there is in reality. The Ryokan is noisy especially the rooms to the inner patio you can hear everything - on the VIP Room on the other side its sligthly better, but outside there is a sort of a pump which is also very noisy....The working staff is very nice, speaks good english and is very helpfull. Location is okay even though if next time going to Kyoto I would rather prefer to stay closer to Shijo or Gion or somewhere close to the Ishibe-Koji Street. So if you go to this Ryokan - stay only 1-2 nigths then its okay but for longer stays I wouldnt recommend - there has to be better accomodations in Kyoto for the same price!

• Stayed April 2009

Been to Sakura? Share your experiences!