“Pleasant place to stay close to Kyoto station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ryokan Izuyasu

Save Saved
You added Ryokan Izuyasu to your Saves list
Ryokan Izuyasu
3.0 of 5 Ryokan   |   272 Sasaya-cho, Higashino Toin, Shimo-juzuyamachi agaru, Shimokyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 600-8156, Japan   |
Ranked #38 of 194 Kyoto B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Pleasant place to stay close to Kyoto station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The owners/staff made every effort to make sure my stay (first time at a ryokan) was a pleasant and comfortable one. They were friendly and welcoming. A pot of green tea and a sweet were served as soon as I'd checked in. The young woman was very nice and taught me some Japanese words as she served me a delicious evening meal in my room, and the next morning breakfast. All the food was excellent and beautifully presented. The ensuite had a very deep bath with toiletries and towels provided. The ryokan is just a short walk from the station but can be a little hard to find the first time. It is also close to Nishi Hongan-ji and Higashi Hongan-ji and there are some interesting shops, including a shop with wonderful hand-painted fans, just around the corner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Ryokan Izuyasu is the second Ryokan I have stayed in and the only I’ve stayed in in Kyoto. The staff was very friendly. The inn is located in central Kyoto and is only a 10 min walk from Kyoto Central Station. The hotel has a great traditional feel but our room was a bit more basic than I expected at the price. Also, our room was huge and had a private toilet but it did look over a parking lot which sort of dulled the mood although I imagine most inns in Kyoto have the same issue. The dinner was good but not amazing and might not have been worth the price. I still can’t decide. Also, the staff didn't explain what we were eating or how to eat it (understandable since most of the staff did not speak English) and we were never sure if the current course was the last or not! So we sat there a bit awkwardly at times, not knowing if we should go back to our room or not… The baths were nice and relaxing. Overall, a good experience and a great staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at 3 places in Kyoto. Izuyasu was the most expensive & so our expectations were naturally high but we were disappointed. Our corner room facing the back seemed rundown & in need of repairs (the sliding cupboard was not attached & just propped up). The staff were not rude but nor were particularly attentive. The female bathroom was bright and not particularly attractive, again in need of renovations. We ordered the kaiseki meal but wasn't sure where to go as the lady just pointed out our front door. The food was nice but not standout. The garden outside was pretty but this was not a 'special or unique' accommodation, unlike the other places we stayed. For some unknown reason, I stayed awake for quite a while through the night (very unusual for me) so perhaps wasnt fully comfortable. For what we paid, we felt this ryokan did not represent value for money. Perhaps if we didn't stay at other places in Kyoto and so couldn't compare it with other ryokan, it would have been satisfactory.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed for one night in on Christmas Eve and were very happy with our experience. I stayed in a much bigger ryokan on a previous trip to Kyoto so this is was nice change as it was a small family-owned one which made it much more personal. It is close to Kyoto Station and is in a really nice traditional house with lovely gardens.

Our room was on the ground floor which was nicely decorated with a private garden and our own bathroom with a toilet and shower. Being in the middle of winter, we didn't really use our bathroom as it wasn't heated and used the communal bath instead which being a small ryokan, we were the only ones using it at the time. I noticed that one of the reviewers commented about the water in the bath not being warm - there is a panel above the bath which turns the heating on for the bath so make sure to press the button (although it's written in Japanese!).

Dinner and breakfast was very tasty, well presented and was like a feast with many courses. The tempura was amazing and the grilled fish was delicious and the egg served in the morning was soft and smooth. We're still talking about it almost a month after staying there.

Definitely recommend this ryokan if you want to experience traditional Japan whilst in Kyoto.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I'm a Japanese person who stayed at Izuyasu with my American friend. I recommended him to stay at a ryokan in order to have true Japanese experience while his visit to Japan, and he chose this ryokan based on the reputation. We were both extremely satisfied. It is a traditional style Japanese accommodation. So, if you want a modern luxury amenities, this is not the place for you. But if you are after a true traditional Japanese service spirit, it could not be much better than this. The hostess dresses in kimono every night to serve dinner with a very consistent and pleasant manner which made us feel at home. They served a lot of dishes containing fish and vegetables except the last evening of our stay when they served sukiyaki with more beef than we could comfortably eat. We managed to eat it all, though. One complaint I would mention is that the futon mattress was a little to thin and I felt the hardness of the floor every night. But they would have corrected the problem had I complained to them. I cannot imagine that they would have said, "Sorry, but you have to live with it." I would definitely go back there to stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for rooms that have private bath tubs if you are self conscious about using the publi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Maumelle, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spent 4 nights in this ryokan and 2 Kaiseki meals. A very short walk to Kyoto station, about 10 minutes or so and easy to find. Service was excellent and lady owner and her famly were very helpful and friendly, however, they speak little English, sometime needing the daughter-in-law to help with communications. We did not realize that the local laundries were actually what we call self serve coin operated laundromats. We had not allowed time nor did we feel comfortable with the language barrier to attempt that task. The landlady's daughter-in-law volunteered to do our laundry for us and would not accept payment. We bought her a surprise gift, but the genuine warm and caring really impressed us. Not what you would find most places in America. We would highly recommend Izuyasu. We wanted to have the ryokan experience for our first ime. I did enjoy the hot baths, my wife not so much. For us it would have been better to only spend 2 nights because of the hardwood floors and futons for sleeping and because of the expense.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This ryokan is not hard to find, it is located just 100 meter from Higashi-honganji Temple. The room is a traditional japanese style (or everything looks like in 80s) one... with a picture hanging against a wall and a flower in a vase, tatami floor, wooden structure, paper curtain sliding door, a balcony with an ornamental garden, a low wooden table, an attached bathroom with a small tub, futon are well hidden at door entrance wardrobe. the small tv reminds me the 80's time but it is with a remote control.

The young male staff leads me to my room at the ground floor, and there is another lady staff who is excellent in providing the service, such as welcome drink - green tea, preparation of dinner, serving a 5-course dinner, laying futon after the dinner. She is effective and everything was served within minute.

Before the dinner, I tried to wear my yukata for the first time. but as Anthony Bourdain's remarks in his book, it is quite embarassing as trying a sitting posture not to show off my crotch in front of the staff....fortunately this does not take long time.

The ryori dinner was a fantastic one with variety of exquisite petit stuff such as tofu, pickle wild vege, mushroom, steam fish with grated white radish, maguro sushi, and tempura, white rice...

The breakfast come with rice, miso soup, and some vege...

There is one public bath outside the room, but I did not give it a try. The view of the garden from the balcony is relaxing.

Around the ryokan, there are a lot of shops selling buddha related stuff. I did not visit any one of them, instead, I am more interested in walking towards the Kyoto station, where the isetan occupy for 11 floors.

Room Tip: The hot water available after 4pm. and curfew time is 11pm.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Ryokan Izuyasu? Share your experiences!