“Granvia - Excellent as always” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Granvia Kyoto

You added Hotel Granvia Kyoto to your Saves list
Hotel Granvia Kyoto
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Higashi Shiokojicho, Shimogyo-ku | (JR Kyoto Station Karasuma-Central Entrance), Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 600-8216, Japan   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #18 of 333 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Melbourne, Australia
“Granvia - Excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I must have stayed at the Granvia on about 15 occasions over the last 10 years, and it's always reliable and always good. This is the first time I've posted a review for it.

The rooms are good sized (especially for a Japanese hotel!) and very comfortable. The haven't changed in 10 years, but they still look well maintained and not at all tired looking.

The hotel has some excellent (albeit expensive) restaurants, but, being located over Kyoto Railway Station, there are literally hundreds of dining options within 100 metres in Porta underground shopping centre and in The Cube on the 9th/10th floors of the station building. Some of them are very reasonably priced.

The staff are excellent and extremely polite and courteous...most with an excellent grasp of English.

The only thing that could be significantly improved are the "health" facitities, which are quite disappointing. The gym is nowhere near the standard that a hotel like this should have.

Overall though, this hotel remains one of Kyoto's top hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Granvia Kyoto in July using Kyoto as my base to explore the Southern region of Japan. It was an excellent choice as it has to be one of the most convenient hotels I have stayed at.

Overall, the hotel is very nice and the rooms are fine. I had no complaints about the hotel (the only thing I could try and complain about was that I asked for a two hour late check out and told I would be charged for it). But the location of the hotel is fantastic.

The hotel is located in the train station with access to all the different train lines, the metro, the bus station and walking distance to several areas as well. I toured Osaka and Hiroshima from Kyoto and it was so easy to get to both cities from the hotel (literally walk out the back hotel entrance into the train station). The station is huge and includes a department store and a bunch of other shops and restaurants. There is a light show on the stairs up to a roof top garden and a water/light show just outside the front of the hotel. I also did several walking tours in Kyoto in which I caught the bus just outside the hotel to start each tour. It was incredibly convenient.

The breakfast options were also quite nice with a lot of different choices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Can't beat the location of this hotel, it's right inside the complex of the Kyoto Station which makes it a super convenient base camp. It's a top notch hotel and they work hard to prove it. One staff woman was in a huge rush one day, running down the hall. As we were passing her she stopped immediately and gave us a patient, slow, respectful bow. After we exchanged greetings and a few pauses later, she took off running down the hall again. lol

Room was spacious, service and courtesy in general day after day made for such a nice and refreshing experience. A great breakfast buffet was included (make sure to double check).

If I had any criticism, it'd probably be that you have to pay an additional fee for access to the pool and gym. But even that is becoming more and more standard in the U.S., in Las Vegas certainly, etc. so I suppose it's not really a criticism. It'd sure be nice to have it included, but I understand it from a business perspective.

Other hotels in Japan strive for great customer service, but I definitely felt a difference in comparison. While others felt forced, with Hotel Granvia Kyoto it just felt like it came very natural for them. Experience was excellent, and would stay here again in heartbeat. No need for me to try another hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms can be a little far from the elevators, so try to get one a little closer!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I and my husband stayed at the Granvia in Kyoto for 7 nights. The room was big (we did not expect to be that spacious). The location was really good as it is in the station. We jumped on the JR, subway and buses easily.The buffet breakfast was good with the selections of both western and Japanese items. We also tried the Japanese breakfast one morning and it was great. It was a good experience of the Japanese culture. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We also tried out a couple of restaurants (Chinese and Italian) in the hotel and we loved the food. We had a great time in Kyoto and a great stay in the Granvia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Though I was apprehensive in staying at a hotel that shared the same location as a train station, I was pleasantly surprised to see this Star Rated hotel within the Rail Station. Superb location with an excellent staff. Always helpful and courteous. Rooms are excellent, though I chose the wrong view from my room. I could see all the roof of the station from my window. But this is my address in kyoto, when ever I pass through, for sure

Room Tip: ask for a room that face the Kyoto Tower.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our city-view king-size room on the 8th floor was surprisingly large. The staff were very friendly and even allowed us to check in early on arrival. The hotel is connected to Kyoto Station which is quite a sight and has lots of shopping and dining options. We had no problems with wi-fi in our room, everything was very clean, and we also had no smell of smoke on our floor. The A/C worked wonderfully (so important in Kyoto in the summer if you're like me). From the station you can catch a bus to anywhere in the city (a day pass is only 500yen), or you can rent a bicycle from Kyoto Cycling Tour Project nearby and explore the city that way.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room for a better night view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

As we travelled by bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto this hotel was perfect for us. The concierge here was extremely helpful and suggested things to do to make our stay memorable. The hotel itself is luxurious and nothing was a problem for the staff. There are a variety of restaurants in the complex, though the 2 we tried were nothing out of the box.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Granvia Kyoto? Share your experiences!