“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Granvia Kyoto

Save Saved
You added Hotel Granvia Kyoto to your Saves list
Hotel Granvia Kyoto
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Higashi Shiokojicho, Shimogyo-ku | (JR Kyoto Station Karasuma-Central Entrance), Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 600-8216, Japan   |
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 40%
Ranked #17 of 332 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Boulder,Colorado
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Hotel Grandvia in the Kyoto Station is a very beautiful modern hotel. You never leave the station. it is so easy to come and go, to get buses, cabs and the subway.
The 15TH floor is a nice place to be as you have your own concierge to help with your stay in Kyoto. We booked an English speaking taxi driver for five hours to tour the some of the many shrines. The whole thing was taken care by the great ladies at the concierge desk on the 15TH floor. You can relax in the guest lounge with nice views while enjoying some coffee or tea drinks with some little treats.
The hotel has some of the best body wash, makeup removers etc... That I've ever used in a hotel.
We had breakfast included , it was quite the international buffet, something for everyone.
They had fresh carrot juice from the biggest carrots that I have ever seen, really!
If you want to tour Kyoto and be in total comfort, this is the hotel for you. The rooms were large like western hotels not like the typical smallish Japanese ones.. Beds were very nice with quality linens and a great sleep, our view was of the city, quite! You might get a discount with your JR rail pass, check it out.

Room Tip: 15th floor would be my choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent one night at the Granvia hotel and enjoyed our stay. I had booked a regular room room, but during the check in process, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite. The room was HUGE and tastefully done!!!! Our room consisted of a living room, bedroom with two queen-sized beds, a powder room, and a big bathroom.

The check in process was efficient and we were accompanied to our room by the check in staff.

The location of the hotel is ideal if you are going to make multiple day trips with Kyoto as your.

Would def. recommend as good value but keep in mind... The decor and ambiance is that of a nice business hotel, so it lacks the charm of being in Japan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here whilst travelling around Japan last summer. We absolutely loved the hotel. Our room was excellent, we had a really interesting view of the station and the bullet trains but no noise at all. Breakfast was first class, giving a fantastic choice of both western and more traditional Japanese style food. The hotel is really well situated and a great base from which to explore the city. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby if you want to venture out - the hotel restaurants and the tea shop looked amazing but were a little pricey for us. The hotel was exceptionally clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The luggage forwarding service was easy to use and made travelling on the bullet train a lot easier. There is really nothing at all that I can criticise about this hotel - we loved it and would certainly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Taipei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family and I love the hotel very much. Fantastic location and extremely helpful staffs. I stayed that for 4 nights, and I really like this hotel. The Hotel location is great and very convenient to anywhere. It is so near the JR Express, subway, rairway and bus. Kyoto station itself is a wonderful place to visit, with great circulation lines, creative architecture, and good views. There are cinema, department store, underground shopping streets, sky garden, and sky walk way. I strongly recommend Hotel Granvia Kyoto.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the subways. Rooms on the north side face Kyoto station Plaza.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Taking advantage of the commemoration of our 25th years anniversary trip, as well as our honeymoon, following our wedding thanks to the new French law about marriage for all, we decided to inform all the hotels we had booked of the purpose of this trip and our civil situation.
We immediately received a fantastic congratulation message from Shiho, the Overseas Manager, offering to assist us for the preparation of our stay in Kyoto and recommending a wonderful guide for our stay in Tokyo. She went to meet us at the doors of our Shinkansen car and drove us until the hotel and our spacious Deluxe room, where a nice and delicious cake was expecting for us. The hotel is ideally located inside the Kyoto train station, perfect to visit all the historic points of the city, by bus or metro. Kyoto is very rich, with a lot of beautiful temples and 4 days are not enough to see everything. In particular if you plan to visit Nara, the first Japanese capital, only 40mn by train.
Breakfast buffet was very complete, room service with simple but high quality food, and everybody was extremely sympathetic and nice.
Shiho was again present for our check-out to give us a final demonstration of her excellence in hospitality business.
We couldn’t have a better stay in this fabulously charming city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for approximately a week in the middle of June. The most impressive thing for us was the concierge service who helped us recover a lost camera; this was truly amazing as we could not remember exactly where we had left it and were ruefully wishing we had backed up all of our photos at some stage this year. We are extremely grateful to both the concierge staff and taxi driver for the systematically tracked it down and went out of their way to return it to us.

Aside from this, the location was fantastic: it was easy to find even when sleep deprived and unable to speak any Japanese; close to a plethora of good restaurants and on top of the public transport hub. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
County Tipperary, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was absolutely disgusted with the attitude displayed by this hotel first of all I should say I spent GBP247 for 2 nights room only at this hotel. I arrived just after 2 pm and although I was quite sure our room was ready we were made to wait till 3 pm until we could enter, as I was with my young child I found this anal to the extreme. despite the high cost of the room I was horrified to find the the gym and indeed the swimming pool we're not free to hotel gas they were not even at a discounted price for hotel guests they were in fact charged pat 1000 and 50 yen per session which I found outrageous. I asked two different members of staff to raise my concerns with a manager and I made it clear I wished for a reply this was not forthcoming on 2 separate occasions.
I noticed in the room that unbelievably coffee was to be paid 4. the lady that showed me the room told me that the only thing that was complimentary was tea, however after studying the minibar list it appeared tea was also chargeable I have never stayed in a hotel before where tea and coffee was provided and tea and coffee and chargeable. I should also note that there was no spoon nore sugar in the room.
breakfast was charged at 2400 yen although magnanimously this could be had for 2200 yen if one purchased a voucher before breakfast from the reception. I did this and made it clear that I wanted my child to share my breakfast as sometimes she did not eat breakfast at all but would accompany me into the breakfast room. the next morning when we went to the breakfast room it was made clear that whatever the situation, because my child was with me I would have to pay for her breakfast. I questioned this and was told that if a child was even four years of age they would have to pay half just like any other child, considering the price of the room I found this very cheeky and so i took back my vouchers to the reception and got my money back and went and had breakfast somewhere else... all in all great staff and helpful staff at this hotel, friendly indeed but the hotel management are obviously greedy penny pinchers and have no idea on how to provide service to discerning guests. I would suggest to anyone who wishes to visit kyoto to avoid this hotel and instead try the new miyako.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Granvia Kyoto? Share your experiences!