“Average location & poor servicing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo

You added Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo to your Saves list
Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 Kasaboko-cho, Shijo-dori Aburanokoji Higashi-iru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8494, Kyoto Prefecture   |
Ranked #56 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Average location & poor servicing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Wifi is only available in the lobby and on the 2nd floor. Other floors have to use a LAN cable (amazing to experience that in Japan, kind of old-fashion, isn't it). Location is not that convenient with 10-15 min walk to reach the metro T line, no tourist spot/attraction in the neighborhood. A few convenient shops (Fresco, Family Mart) are located next door and make it convenient for a quick and cheap breakfast if needed. Tiny room like most hotels in Japan. Bathroom is kinda all-in-one molded, cheap looking. Shower spray is (too) small.

Last but not least, if you ask for a late checkout (we asked for an extra hour) they won't offer for free, it will cost you 1,500 JPY ! Standard checkout is 11:00 am, they just can't offer a checkout at 12:00 for free. SIMPLY AMAZING. FIRST TIME EVER in my traveller's life. We were traveling with a 3.5y baby and had to fight strongly (with two different cashier desks) to get this one extra hour for free. Poor understanding and zero flexibility.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ms-kyoto-shijo, front staff at Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo, responded to this review, January 30, 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us.
And We are very sorry for uncomfortable staying.
We were not flexible for your checking out.
We are very sorry again.

Yuzuru Kuno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is reachable via a direct train from our previous port of stay in Shinsaibashi, Osaka (Nagahoribashi Station). Reception is strangely on the 2nd floor (probably due to space considerations). Anyone from the outside can just get into the room floors as there is no security in the form of personnel or keycard controlled lifts (though not a major concern as Japan is pretty safe). We found the front desk to be rather abrupt, perhaps being more used to locals and those on business trips. They were also rather strict on the check in times so it was a bit of a disappointment (although we shouldn't be since this is Japan) after the courtesy extended to us in Osaka. Complimentary Lavazza coffee and green tea latte from the dispensing machine was a bonus.

We booked a Moderate twin and it was excellent, probably the best room out of the four hotels we stayed in this trip. There were 2 comfortable double beds and yet still lots of room for my 2 year old to roam about. She especially liked the couch, on which she could climb up and take in the views from the 13th floor. The rooms were immaculately clean and well made up when we were away during the day. The bathroom has a proper tub with accompanying bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner.

Location-wise, it was within walking distance to Nishiki market, which we found too touristy. We took a long, slow walk across to Gion, Yasaka Shrine and Kodaiji Temple. Fresco supermarket was conveniently located next to the hotel, which was a plus.

Kyoto unfortunately does not have a subway or light rail system so we were reliant on buses that does not accept the ICOCA card (at least until 2015), which was a tad inconvenient.

Overall, I would still recommend this place for its value for money as well as relative proximity to some attractions in the center of Kyoto and as a base for the others scattered on the outskirts of the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ms-kyoto-shijo, front staff at Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo, responded to this review, January 21, 2014

Thank you very much for your comment.
It is really great to us, we are very happy to read your comment.
How was your trip going?
We would like you to stay with us when you have a chance to be back here.

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked two months early for a special package with one double room and breakfast. The room is small but comfortable. The staff is very friendly and approachable with surprisingly good English.They provide DHC traveler pack of cleaning oil, washing power and lotion which I found very helpful for female travelers. I also wanna recommend their breakfast. It was traditional Japanese style breakfast with a two cases bento with home-made tofu, rice and soup. Delicious with a taste of Kyoto.

Will we come back again? Of course! With a bigger room maybe.

Thank you very much for staying with us.
We appreciate that you liked us.
Our breakfast has been slightly changed and now
you can have buffet style so there are some breads
not only Japanese ones.

When you have a chance, we are looking forward to seeing you.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Staff are friendly, room is clean, size of beds is comfortable enough, free green tea and coffee is a plus. Location is very convenient for taking the bus, it's about 3 blocks though from the subway station. Will choose this hotel if I return to Kyoto.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ms-kyoto-shijo, front staff at Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you very much for staying witu us.
We appreciate that you are satisfied with the hotel.
We are cnetre-located in Kyoto so as you mentioned,
It is very easy to get everywhere.

We really hope that you come back here again.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I arrived here after traveling from Tokyo and Iga and stayed for 4 nights. Hotel is within walking distance from the subway and the busy parts of Kyoto. On arrival, I went straight to the reception to drop off my luggage as check in was not until 2pm. I was greeted with a very helpful English speaking staff member. When I returned to the hotel for check in, I was advised that my luggage had already been sent up to my room.

The hotel amenties were great. They had their own coffee and matcha milk machine and during check in hours, there are little sachets of DHC (decent high street Japanese beauty brand) cleansing products and lotion at the reception desk for you to help yourself.

The room was slightly bigger than I expected, wasn't too small I thought. However there was no wardrobe or storage space, only a few hangers for clothes. This wasn’t much of a problem for us though as it was only for 4 nights. Despite not being a box room, there still wasn’t too much space for movement but the bed itself was bigger than your average Japanese double beds. Usually Japanese hotels give you a ‘Queen sized’ bed but this bed felt like the size of 2 single beds together, though this was definitely just the one bed. Very clean room and bathroom with a good shower.

The hotel was right next to a Fresco’s, a supermarket that sold fresh fruit and meat, opposite was a Lawson’s store so very convenient for late night snacks, water or drinks. I never had breakfast at the hotel as I’m usually keen of trying restaurants nearby so being able to stock up on water and fruit is a bonus for me.

The only negative point I have here is, It was late morning when I was getting ready to go out. I had the window opened (due the warm weather and the air conditioner not being cold enough). I was kneeling down to find jeans in my suitcase under the desk when I looked up to find a male window cleaner standing in front of the window, looking at me.. shut the window and continued to clean it. I had to wait till he was done to get up to close the curtains. I thought the hotel should have perhaps advised us that there would be people cleaning the windows.

Overall I was still very impressed with the hotel, very comfortable stay and value for money in this location. I had the best sleep in this hotel in my entire 2 weeks trip in Japan. I would definitely come back to this hotel the time I visit Kyoto.

Thank you very much for your comment.
We are satisfied that you liked staying with us.
When you have time to come back here again,
we would like you to stay here.

Thank you very much.

Hotel MyStays Kyoto-Shijo Yuzuru Kuno
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Quite conveniently located. Familymart and Fresco just downstairs and opposite the hotel. Train station is approximately 5 to 10 minutes walk away. Karasuma shopping street/Gion is approximately 10-20 minutes walk down the street. Rooms are pretty small, but for the price paid, its extremely worth it and reasonable. (It costs about 8000 yen for 2 pax, a night at mystays hotel. VS 8000 yen (maybe slightly lesser) to stay at a decent private room hostel with SHARED bathroom. So obvoiously Mystays is extremely value for money!)

Free Wi-fi provided at hotel lobby, friendly service provided.

Room Tip: Good value for money, walkable distance to shopping areas, a number of restaurants around hotel area...