“Go when the weather is cold - super cozy!! Rustic and charming.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yuzuya Ryokan

Save Saved
You added Yuzuya Ryokan to your Saves list
Yuzuya Ryokan
545 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 605-0074, Japan   |
Ranked #30 of 192 Kyoto B&B and Inns
Us
“Go when the weather is cold - super cozy!! Rustic and charming.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Anyone reading these reviews has already decided they want to invest in a full cultural experience, so at this point it's a matter of personal taste and preference. While looking for Ryokans I found those offering attached bathroom started at 27,000 yen pp. If you're going to do a Ryokan, do it right - book a high end one.

We entered the room and my daughter asked where she can take a nap (beds are made up in the evening). I said, "well, I guess you just lie on the floor...!". Then I did too!! Odd yet fun sensation sprawling out on the floor!!!! We didn't want to get up.

We booked a triple (100,000 yen per night). Best part is we went in the fall and the weather was drizzly and cold making the Ryokan even more cozy! Hotel is attached to a shrine/park at the end of a charming street. We went down a side street and caught a glimpse of some Geishas/Miakos alighting from a taxi! Wow!

We had a 7-course Kaseki dinner. I'm not well versed in Japanese cuisine to accurately critique but we liked it. Only bad part was the Kobe beef. It was dry, tough, and overcooked. We chose the Japanese breakfast (how can you not choose this??!!) which was great. Grilled fish, etc.

We booked a room with wood tub. The entire bathroom was made of wood. Note: you do not take a bath in the tub. You wash then soak in the tub like an onsen.

If you stay here I'm sure you will like it.

Room Tip: Book room with the wood tub. Cost a little more but worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Shenzhen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night in October 2012.

The building, the rooms, and the facilities are understated, elegant, luxurious and beautiful. The welcome is warm, the service is impeccable, the atmosphere is calm and unhurried.

From the moment I arrived, slid the screen door across, and walked into the cool, muted, yuzu-scented lobby, I had the feeling of time standing still. Located right next to the Yasaka shrine on a bustling street, quite how the ryokan is so quiet is a mystery to me.

Staff are friendly, and politely introduce the uncouth gaijin to the norms of behaviour in a Japanese inn - which slippers to wear in which room, how to use the public bath, how to wear one's yukata. And, when the time comes for the evening's kaiseki feast, the staff are on hand to introduce each course, and even provide helpful tips on how to eat the meal (this is useful, as some dishes are presented as miniature works of art, which defied my ingenuity in how to attack).

Returning to my room after dinner, I found that the sitting room had been magically transformed into a bedroom by the removal of some furniture and the unfurling of the futon. After a night on the most comfortable futon imaginable, it's time for breakfast, where the staff are again on hand to introduce the most sensational hotel breakfast I have ever eaten - tiny dishes of various treats, with a huge slab of cod, an omelette, rice and miso soup.

The only truly regrettable moment is that in which, fully fed, well-rested and thoroughly clean from the ofuro and the specially-made yuzu soap, you have to put your shoes on, pick up your bag, and become that other man, the traveller. Even parting with the small fortune that it costs to spend a night here is a matter of little consequence - pleasures like these are seldom found, and should be treasured.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent 2 nights here when we ere in Kyoto in late August. The staff are extremely accommodating and friendly and tried their best to accommodate mine and my boyfriend's food requirements. Unfortunately they couldn't do much with people who didn't eat seafood at all so we had to for-go the special Ryokan meals. We were however booked into a "partner restaurant" not far away instead where we doing pay for a single thing. On the 2nd night they refunded us the cost of the dinner and we found our own place for dinner a few streets away.  Additionally for breakfast we had "western" style grudgingly (I was really hoping they could accommodate ur request :( ) but it was presented in a very Japanese way and was all delicious so we had no issues with food in the end! I was so pleased with the way they handled the whole food thing so don't let this put you off!

The staff were always willing to assist incredibly and the location was great. Our room was quiet (we were at the back of the Ryokan) but it was very warm and no matter how much I tried to turn the air con up it didn't cool down.  It was also great to have the maid roll out and in our beds as we would never have managed! I would say the stay was a little overpriced.... I was willing to pay over £300 a night (just including breakfast, no dinner) when so many people raved about the amazing experience on here but to be completely honest I was a little disappointed - Maybe previous reviews had set my expectations too high... Worth. Visit if you are okay with the high prices, the staff are truly wonderful but at the price I'm not convinced I'd rush back sorry!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sassari, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I've stayed here on my birthday to give myself a present. I've payed 460 euros, the price is the only downside but it was worth. The location is fantastic (I'm gonna to add some photos so you can share a little bit my experience), right to the core of Gion, right next to Yasaka Shrine. You enter the outside door and the world change. You don't seem to hear the traffic road, you don't seem to live today but some day in the past. You go up the stars between a wall of rock, a little bamboo wooden and some lantern and you arrive at the entrance door. Then you will find some magic time for yourself: the great cuisine, the beautiful and wide room upstairs (I was lucky, I got one that overlooked at the acerum's garden and the fontaine) with the wooden bath, the shiatsu massage, the refined but comfortable atmosphere, the beautiness that you can see, the kindness of the staff, The first and the only night that I slept soundly in 11 days. That was the best thing to do spending my birthday here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed only one night at Yuzuya ryokan for a two-days trip to Kyoto last April. But this short stay was a really good experience. The location can not be better, in the heart of Gion. The staff is very nice and professional, with reception team speaking english. They will kindly teach you the rules you must comply with in this kind of unusual place. Rooms are simple but very traditional, with a private bathroom. In my opinion, the small TV is useless and quite in breach with the traditional spirit of the ryokan. During the diner, the staff will install the futon bed. I slept exceptionnally well, especially after a traditional 'o furo', the Japanese bath taken in the common bathroom of the Ryokan (there are one bathroom for ladies, one for gents). I regret however that my room was overlooking a parking and then the main avenue, but it did not translate into any particular noise. But the must of the stay was the food. I had a traditional diner and breakfast in the Ryokan's restaurant and it was fabulous. The restaurant is furnished in a very traditional way with tables overlooking the small Japanese garden with waterfalls. The gastronomic menu of the diner and the traditional Japanese diner were absolutely great and difficult to describe. I shared a diner with my Japanese cousin and she told me she never had such a good tasting experience. For sure, if i come back to Kyoto with my family (and I will,come back), I will do my best to return to Yuzuya Ryokan.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Playa del Carmen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

Great authentic Ryokan located very centrally between Gion and many nice tempes. The place is small and cozy and food in the restaurant was Amazing! Some of the best Ryokan food I have ever had. Breakfast also excellent... Please order Japanese not Continental. If you want continental don't stay in a Ryokan and don't leave the west.
The only downsides for me were the room was noisy from the street cars etc and the windows let all the street light in so if you need dark to sleep like I do then ask for a room accordingly. The first night was one of the worst night sleeps I had in ages. Second night I repositioned fouton so pillow area was not in direct light of window and slept fine.
The staff are all excellent and very kind and courteous. Dinner service is outstanding and they all speak some English if your Japanese is not up to scratch.
Walking distance from most places so make sure you explore all the beautiful side streets close by.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Great location and the road noise wasn't too bad. Wonderful kind, helpful, serene staff. Incredible Japanese multi-course dinner and even if you don't like tiny tastings and odd things it is a real experience. The down sides for us were a terribly noisey room next to the kitchen fans which went all night and the place is a bit cold. Extremely expensive but a once in a lifetime place

Room Tip: go for the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Yuzuya Ryokan? Share your experiences!