“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shiraume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Shiraume
Bookmark
You added Shiraume to your Saves list
Ryokan
  |   Shirakawa-hotori, Shinbashi-dori, Gionmachi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan   |
Ranked #2 of 332 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Wellington, New Zealand
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I decided to book the Shiraume after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and I am so glad I did. Everything you read in the reviews about the place are absolutely correct. I could probably rate this as one of the most amazing experiences ever. I was very, very sad to leave but will return!

Tomoko and her staff are the perfect hosts and from the moment we walked in the door through to when leaving and Tomoko waving us goodbye as we turned the corner at the end of the road she and her staff gave 100% perfection. I don't want to appear gushing but it truly was a life changing experience staying at the Shiraume. We stayed two nights and ate there both nights; both meals were a truly amazing traditional Japanese experience. I cannot recommend this Ryokan highly enough, in fact, I should not recommend it at all as I don't want it to be fully booked when we definitely visit again next year!!

I wish the Shiraume, Tomoko and all her staff every success as they deserve their #1 status as THE place to stay in Kyoto. It is well deserved and has to be experienced to be believed.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I cannot imagine experiencing Kyoto without having stayed at Shiraume. It's like taking a step back in time and experiencing traditional Japan. The staff was incredibly gracious and seemed to take much joy in ensuring a magical experience for its visitors. I think I slept better that night than I had during our entire trip in Japan. Although I went with a friend, it would've been an incredibly romantic experience with a special someone. Also, the location is ideal for spotting Geishas. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny/yen! You have to experience it at least one night!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was a phenomenal experience in a traditional ryokan located in a fantastic location in Gion, Kyoto. We had a room looking out onto the little stream but it was one of the last rooms at the end of the windy corridor, so it was extremely quiet and peaceful. Just outside our room was one of the Japanese baths, which almost felt like our own private one. This was truly a fantastic memorable experience to experience the ryokan experience - sleeping on the tatami, having the kaiseki courses served to you in the room by amazing hosts.

What I liked:
* Great location for walking to the Gion shrines and across the river to downtown and the Nishiki markets
* Gorgeous traditional accomodation, and looked out on a pretty little stream
* Fantastic hosting from owner Tomoko, and our helper Satoko
* The food was incredible. We had kaiseki on both nights and they were completely different, filled with new experiences. For example, puffer fish was in season so we tried that. No pressure to eat in the dining room if you want to just get in your kimono and be served in the bedroom

What I didn't like
* Can't really complain about anything but you should note that this is not a cheap experience. It is worthwhile and the cost of adding on an amazing 8 or 9 course meal is definitely worth it
* The Japanese baths were relaxing but if you are into onsen, you would find this less exciting
* Heating was great in winter but didnt extend to our bathroom....not a big deal, just makes for some cold moments

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I went to the Shiramue sometime in October 2012. We had a quaint room upstairs with our own bathroom overlooking the river.

It was a wonderful experience. The host was hospitable, the food was delicious, and the ambiance was so nice and relaxing. It was a bit expensive but so well worth the money. It was a luxury that was worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

As a foreigner, what does it mean to visit kyoto? in my mind The Gion district is Kyoto in a nutshell and Shiraume is a little treasure. we stayed for two nights and I was amazed when we saw the front streetscape as if it came out of the movie Geisha. when we were first shown our room I was blown away by how traditional it was! Other reviewers have described the other charms of this ryokan so well I won't repeat them. The fuss and effort that they went to to make our stay memorable make this ryokan worthy of very high praise. When I close my eyes and think of Japan, some of the images from this wonderful place and this magical city will surely come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I decided to splurge on my last night in Japan and stay at Shiraume (mostly thanks to the amazing reviews on TripAdvisor), and I'm so glad I did.

Everything is amazing and perfect, and Tomoko, who runs the ryokan, was such a sweet and accommodating hostess.

I'm still dreaming about the amazing Japanese bath (an absolute must if you stay here), the tatami mats on heated floors (you'd think sleeping on a floor wouldn't be comfortable, but I can't remember a better night of sleep) and the traditional kaseiki dinner.

This place is worth every penny.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got around to review this wonderful ryokan. We celebrated our older daughter's birthday there and the owner made everything so perfect for her! Even made the younger one feel special by celebrating her birthday few weeks early. We had the whole upstairs wing to ourselves and the rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. The owner was so sweet and she personally attended to every detail. Dressing up in Kimonos for dinner just made our experience there even more memorable! The dinner and breakfast were so delicately prepared and delicious. We definitely splurged with our one night stay here, but it was definitely worth the price! Will save up so next time we visit Kyoto we can stay at the Siraume again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shiraume? Share your experiences!