“great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe

You added ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe to your Saves list
ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-1 Kitanocho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0002, Hyogo Prefecture   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
4.0 of 5 stars 532 Reviews
Vancouver
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here after taking the bullet train (shinkansen) from Kyoto and it was ideal--a short walk from the shin-Kobe train station (basically connected to the station by a walkway) and so convenient. If you have luggage it will save time and energy. Had thought about staying down in Harbourland instead, but am glad that we chose to stay here for the convenience. The mall that is attached to the hotel is incredibly expensive, and so not like many malls that are attached or nearby train stations in Japan which offer a range of restaurants and stores, but a short subway ride to Sannomiya and other parts of Kobe gets you to interesting places. The other good thing about the location of the ANA Crowne Plaza is that it is next to the gondola ride that takes you up to the top of the mountain where you can see the whole of Kobe and the harbour.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear FrequentTravellerCAN,
Thank you very much for your review of your last stay at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe.
Our location is indeed excellent for both business and leisure and together with the hotel's restaurants the selection of eateries in the shopping center is very wide.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon,
With my best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
ubud
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Love this place, great location, near the bullet train station. Hotel room is nice, everything perfectly maintained. Staff are very helpful. They have different options of pillows, and freebies for a better night sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments.
I am particularly happy to hear that our staff were helpful and that you enjoyed our Sleep Advantage program.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon in Kobe.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I had a reservation for the nights of April 13-14 at the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kobe, Japan. I had to provide my credit card information to reserve. Some may, and some may not, agree with me regarding reasons I regretted ever having reserved a room there.

Our travels began in Fayetteville, AR; then to Seoul, Korea and Kobe, Japan before boarding a Holland America ship in Kobe for a Trans-Pacific cruise.

After our plane arrived at the Osaka KIX airport my wife was provided a requested wheelchair for the long distance to the luggage carousel and transportation to Kobe. I asked the pusher to take us to an ATM, or bank machine, but he said he did not know of any. Then, thinking we could find a $100 taxi which would accept credit cards to Kobe, or if not, taxis there must accept credit cards, as do all in Seoul and many other cities, I said “never mind.” That was my mistake. $100 taxis to Kobe were not available.

We took the bus which arrived in Kobe from the Osaka airport KIX about dusk. Passengers and luggage were unloaded from the bus at curbside in the Sannomiya Station area. There was a taxi stand there with five or six cabs available. None would accept a credit card. I went back to my wife and told her of the situation. We had no Japanese yen, so I would go to a large department store across the street to see if I could get help. There a helpful clerk directed me to an ATM nearby. He also mentioned the Terminal Hotel across a major boulevard for possible assistance.

I found the closeby CITI ATM, but it had no English option, and after maybe six tries, I gave up. Then I walked back to my wife and told her I would walk over the boulevard to the Terminal Hotel and try to get assistance. She told me of her discomfort and concern, but there was still the need to get to the Crowne Plaza.

After walking through several areas of the department store on the floors below the hotel, I finally found the hotel’s front desk on an upper floor. My first good luck . I asked one of the two desk clerks to phone the Crowne Plaza and explain my situation. I handed her a copy of our reservation. She phoned and spoke at length, in Japanese of course, with a clerk at the Crowne Plaza. My impression was that she was getting no help from the Crowne Plaza.

I then got on the phone and was told “Just tell the cab driver that he will be paid on arrival at the Crowne Plaza.” What? What? I am to tell the driver, who knows little or no English, that he will be paid later?

Then this intelligent, sweet, and helpful young lady, whose English was as good as mine, said she would walk with me to assist. We found the ATM, and after more than one attempt, were together able to withdraw Japanese Yen. Then Miss Yo, as I later learned her name, helped us get a taxi and load luggage.

When first told of the situation, the hotel could have helped by phoning a taxi company to arrange for our transport to the hotel. I could suggest other ways they could have helped. But they did nothing. We were in a distressful situation, and they were no help at all. Perhaps I might have thought of other solutions, but regardless, the hotel people did nothing at all to help.

After we arrived and checked into our room, we decided to have a cocktail in the hotel bar. We went back to the lobby floor and to the main bar. Lo and behold, the bar was closed for a private party. This on a Saturday night! Noticing our objections, two hotel staff members did then accompany us to an upper floor bar, where we instructed the bartender how to make a Perfect Manhattan and a Martini on the rocks.

I will commend these staff members for cancelling the cost of these drinks.

The hotel was then fine until checkout. The room was large and comfortable, although not to our taste for decoration. The included breakfast for executive floor rooms was good, even though the evening appetizers and drinks were lacking.

But checkout was a nightmare. There was no final bill pushed under the room door, as there would be in the U. S. for Priority Club members, but that seemed a minor issue. So about 10:30 am on the 15th I went down to the front desk and asked for a final bill. This was provided, and I thought it clear that we were about to depart the hotel as scheduled. I recall that I asked if I should produce my credit card again. I was told no need for that. Since I knew my credit card was in the hotel records, I believe I was justified in thinking all was set to leave the hotel.

Shortly before noon I phoned for a bellman to help with our five pieces of luggage. He came right away. As we walked through the lobby area, I passed the concierge lady we had met earlier, showed the final bill and said “We are paid up.” The bellman proceeded to the exit and placed our luggage in a taxi. My wife and I entered the taxi. Then I was told to exit the taxi. I cannot recall the exact words, but there must have been a claim that I had not paid the bill. I said I had and started to close the taxi door. A hotel employee grabbed the door and indicated that I had to pay, then escorted me back to the front desk. There I produced the same credit card they already had on record, and signed for the charge. All this was extremely upsetting to my wife and myself to be accused of not paying a bill.

Finally, I was back to the taxi, and we were on our way to our cruise ship in the Kobe harbour.

Was I then and even now disturbed? You bet I was and am. While I will not avoid all other Crowne Plaza hotels, I would never again stay at this one in Kobe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ANA_CrownePlaza_Kobe, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
First of all I would like you to accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience upon your arrival in Kobe.
I have investigated the matter and found out that a misunderstanding occurred between the staff of the other hotel and our front desk clerk, resulting in your having to struggle to find an ATM to get some much needed cash. Our colleague actually clearly mentioned to the other hotel staff that we would cover your taxi expense.
In regards to our check-out process and the reason why you were asked to sign your credit card slip just prior departure, unlike in the USA or in Europe, Japanese credit card companies do not guaranty payment without the guest's signature. This should have been explained to you on the various occasions you talked to the front desk staff and was not and definitely does not condone the actions of our staff.
We will conduct training to ensure our front desk staff have a much better communication with our guests upon check-in and check-out in the future.
Thank you for being a Priority Platinum Card holder and thank you for your continuous business with our hotel group and again, please accept my apologies for the sub-standard service you received while staying with us,

Yours sincerely,

Jean-Raphael Felus,
hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Unfortunately our stay here was just for one night but it was such a pleasure. Near to railway station to take bullet train to Kyoto. Very interesting streets to explore nearby and the wonderful 'ropeway' that took you up to the top of the beautiful gardens that lay behind.. A very refreshing place to stay.

Room Tip: For a very small fee, take an upgrade to a larger room with little extras.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HertfordshireKatie,
Allow me to thank you for your comments about the ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe.
The whole team is thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I particularly want to acknowledge your tip, as indeed, for a reasonable fee, all our guests can enjoy either a larger room or even better the Club Lounge service.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Kobe!
With my best regards,
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel last two nights of our 1 week stay in Japan. Hotel is next to the Shinkansen station which was very convenient for us. We got the room on the 29th floor and the view was spectacular, it was definitely the best part of the room. Room itself was spacious with very comfortable bed, but bathroom was outdated with plastic handheld shower. It was OK, everything was working but taking into consideration the price (double what we paid everywhere else) you expect much better quality. This was the most expensive and the poorest quality place we have stayed during our holidays. Moreover during the last screening of the room we have found that places which you can not seen (for example behind the bedside table) were very dirty, no one was cleaning it for the very long time.

Room Tip: 29th floor offers great views over Kobe
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ANA_CrownePlaza_Kobe, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel’s location close to the station and the room size.

At the same time, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay regarding the poorly cleaned-up room. It is not acceptable and as you rightly point out, cleanliness must be guaranteed regardless of room types. We have addressed this issue with house-keeping staff and management with a review of our cleaning process.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable comments that allows us to become better at delighting our guests and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in Kobe.

Yours sincerely,

Jean-Raphael Felus,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stumbled into the skybar by chance. We had planned to take the ropeway to Mt Maya for a sunset and night view but it was late and we had stopped at shin Kobe to try to go to the Herb Garden instead but it was closed. The staff noticed that we were quite lost trying to find our way and very kindly explained how to get back to sennomiya station to get back to kyoto.But i notice there was a bar at the top level and suggested going there instead for the view of city.

It was a great find.the bar tender was friendly and we had great drinks and cheese platter with a view to boot.The bar tender even took me into the gents where the view from the gents had the best view of the city. After some drinks and feeling a bit tipsy, we took the glass lift up and down again because the views were so lovely!!!

Room Tip: the skybar is a must for those who love a good drink and a view to boot
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Frequent TravellerCAN,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back next time you come in Kobe.
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights, while supporting a New Zealand Womens Football team at the Worl Cup. The location was great, The lift went down to the subway and there was a covered walkway to the train station. Supermarket under the Hotel and lovely restuarants and shops on the three lower floors. The staff were very helpful, those that spoke english anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe? Share your experiences!