“Not cheap, but worth a splurge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Kobe

You added Hotel Okura Kobe to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Kobe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2-1 Hatobacho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture 650-8560, Japan   |
Ranked #10 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Hiroshima
“Not cheap, but worth a splurge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed there with my wife for 1 night as part of a weekend break. A stylish hotel that offered many diversions during our brief stay. Our room wasn't cheap and that is certainly the biggest disadvantage of any stay, we paid 16,000 yen for the 1 night. The room was comfortable with a pleasant view of the Merikin Park / harbour. It is a gentle 10 minute stroll into downtown Kobe from the hotel. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. I used the gym whilst I was there and that was resonably priced and perfectly adequate, although if you are a runner there is quite a nice loop to be run around the park. We will stay there again on our next visit to Kobe.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Okay, Okura is a major hotel brand in Japan, so I was looking forward to a nice experience... wrong!
We weren't impressed. Everything seemed to be outdated, the hotel was a bit far from the train stations (they do offer shuttle bus), and the worst part was, that there may have been some kind of bugs in the bed (the husband got some itches from sleeping in it).

There are good hotels in Kobe, so I don't think I will give Okura another try.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Wernigerode, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Hotel Okura Kobe is a luxury hotel, overlooking the water on Kobe harborfront, directly next to Port Tower, the symbol of Kobe. The hotel facilities at Hotel Okura Kobe include an extensive Health Club as well as a shopping arcade located on the Lobby level, a wedding chapel, photo studio, dressing room and beauty salon on the 3rd floor, and a children's day care center on the 6th floor.

• Stayed July 2009
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This had been billed as the top rated place in my Lonely Planet guidebook. I was well pleased with my stay - the biggest fault was that there was a significant accumulation of dust under the bed. ( This was one of the few times during my 6 weeks in Japan that I actually checked this. ) The lobby area is rather blah and conventional looking. I was up on the 27th floor and enjoyhed the view of Kobe, which is quite a nice city. A shuttle is provided from the hotel to the train stations for a good portion of the day. The highlight of my stay there was at the teppanyaki restaurant where I ordered Kobe beef. It was delicious, indeed, but by the time I was through with dinner, having ordered more wine than was necessary, it turned out to be my most expensive restaurant meal in history - I am embarrassed to say what it totalled. Serive in all respects was great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

We met our cruise at this mediocre hotel. The room was clean and sufficient. Reminded me of a chain motel. The restaurant was rather expensive for very run of the mill fare. We ordered swordfish which was not THE swordfish we would have expected, but, rather, a "mystery fish". Oh, well, one night, no big deal!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
skyybluebunny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

I was fortunately to have been upgraded to a suite room. Great view of harborland and meriken park.

At check in, the front desk had mentioned that they had upgraded me to a larger room. It was a very suttle jesture that really made my trip so much more better.

Bed was very comfortable. Towels very fluffy. Overall room was very clean.

Shower seemed a bit out dated in old. Overall I think it is a great hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and we had chosen it because of the good reviews on tripadvisor.

Honestly I didn't check any other places in Kobe because it's the best rated hotel in Kobe and the price on the Internet was good.

The only negative things which made me rating this hotel with 4 points:

- the hotel is somehow plain and conventional, we didnt see any younger (<40) guests during our stay
- the location of the hotel is a little bit outside the center (Sannomiya station) and near the harbor, you have to take a taxi to get to the hotel (about 8 USD). The area is ok, although the coast is totally overbuild

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Okura Kobe? Share your experiences!