“Great okonomiyaki, Hiroshima style!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 56 Reviews
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Melbourne, Australia
“Great okonomiyaki, Hiroshima style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

It took us a little while to find Hassei, but it was worth it. The sign out the front SAYS Hassei in English, but we more or less stumbled on it.
We sat at the counter & watched as the chef prepared then cooked our okonomiyaki. These were quite different to the ones my mother cooked for me as a child & that I learned to cook myself.
The flavours & textures were superb. Okonomiyaki is a Japanese dish that tends to be overlooked, but is a specialty of Hiroshima. Do yourself a favour & eat here!
Just a little tip - unless you a re VERY hungry, get a half serve - it's still plenty to eat!

• Visited October 2012

Reston VA
“A Highlight in Every Respect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Based on a previous Trip Advisor review, my son and I set out in search of this okonomiyaki restaurant. It was a little tough to find, but boy was it worth it! Watching the chef construct these savory pancakes was amazing. We had never had anything like it. It was fantastic and kept us going the rest of the day. I only wish we had gone back before we left the next afternoon. Sit at the grill!

• Visited September 2012
London
“If you go to one place for Okonomayaki, go here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Went to Okonomimura twice and most places were empty, so went here instead.

So busy that we had to wait in the bar across the road. Waitress came out to get us when a table was free.

Staff were really friendly, menus were in English too and the chef was a showman. Food was excellent - we shared some ribs (off the bone, succulent and juicy) and the seafood special (good amount of seafood, large, tasty).

Seemed like a locals place but very tourist friendly. Tucked off on the left hand side of a little side road on the first corner after the main peace blvd when heading away from town centre). Highly recommended.

Melbourne, Australia
“Reputation is everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We ordered half an okonomykia each and it was huge. The nicest meal I've had in ages. There were messages written on the walls from all over the world. Only a small restaurant, but friendly efficient staff and a must if you visit Hiroshima. We discovered plum sake and soda.

Visited November 2011
Salem
“Fantastic restaurant serving great okonomyaki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I went to this restaurant upon the recommendation of Lonely Planet. We had not had oconomyaki yet and LP said this was a great place to try it. We were able to sit right in front of the grill on which they prepare meals - much better than at one of the tables. We gave our order directly to the chef who proceeded to cook our shifudo supeshiaru - oconomyaki stuffed with squid, shrimp, and octopus. We order a whole portion but unless you are extremely hungry, I'd recommend a half order. It took about 10 minutes to prepare and I filmed much of the process on my iPhone. When done, the okonomyaki was pushed in front of us and we ate it right off the grill - along with a couple of Asahi beers. It was delicious. We loved the experience so we went back the next night and had a variety of mixed dishes including Hiroshima's famed oysters. Again delicious and lots of fun. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are ever in Hiroshima. Lots of fun and great food.

• Visited October 2011