“Great value for money” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 stars 8 Reviews
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights as we traveled around Japan in July 2011. We had some difficulty finding the hotel, even though we had stayed here several years ago and could vaguely remember the location! The staff on reception while we were there appeared to speak very little English (and I speak very little Japanese) but with great patience we muddled through. The hotel rooms are probably a little run down and it must be said that it is located almost directly under the shinkansen lines coming into JR Hiroshima so I probably wouldn't recommend staying if you are a very light sleeper (although it didn't really disturb us). One thing I can say is that it truly is exceptional value for money - you'll be hard pressed to find a better priced place anywhere in the country - and this more than makes up for any minor shortcomings if you're traveling on a budget.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

The hotel was indeed tricky to find. We got desperately lost even though we had a map from Welcome Inn website. Luckily we met a very kind Japanese lady who took us to the hotel by her car ( I just love Hiroshima people). In fact the hotel is very near the train station and it takes only 5-7 minutes on foot. I booked 2 rooms for 7 persons but unfortunately my son couldn't join our trip in the last minute so there were only 6 of us. I forgot to inform the hotel about this change in advance but the owner who was very understanding didn't charge us for our mistake.
In the end we got to stay in a large room intended for 6-7 persons. The bathroom was decent with western sized bathtub. I myself loved sleeping on a futon but my mother-in-law who has bad knees had a hard time getting up and down. Being near the train station, the hotel can be a bit noisy but frankly the train noise didn't bother me at all.

Everybody who works in this hotel speaks almost no English but they are very kind and courteous. We didn't order breakfast but when we went down to use internet in a lobby, the owner brought us hot green tea and yogurt for free. Compared to a modern brand named hotel we stayed in Osaka, New Matsuo may be somewhat inferior but this place is perfect if you want to experience real Japanese hospitality in traditional setting.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

I found this hotel through the International Tourism Center of Japan on the 9th floor of Isetan Department Store above Kyoto JR Station, which also provided me with a booking number and map for this business hotel.

It's quite tricky to find, and is best through the southern exit of Hiroshima's JR Station and then turn left, though they officially tell you it's better to go through the front entrance and then down some tunnels before you get to this hotel.You will probably get lost along the way!

It's right next to the rail-track so it can be quite noisy, and the area looks less than inviting as it's very dark. However, the hotel is fairly decent, and the room - whilst a little bit dated - is pretty clean and good. It feels quite rustic as well, and cosy. The room was spacious and the rates were very decent - 5000 Yen for one person in a Western style room with bath, and sleeping on a very comfortable tatami on Christmas Day. It was very warm inside the room, and the bathroom was ok with a good, hot shower.

If you need to use the internet, the receptionist actually turns on his laptop for you to use inside the restaurant on the ground-floor. Very odd. There is a curfew, however, and the front-door locks down at either midnight or 1am. No in-room safe.

A solid hotel which does its job if you just need somewhere for the night. If it's intended for a longer stay, maybe best to head elsewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Sydney, NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I stayed here for one night, to experience a futon bed in a "traditional" japanese-style room.
The place is not hard to find, just ask for directions at JR station. However, the man at the front desk had NO English. But, my internet reservation was there and eventually he understood that i had already paid! Later, the English-speaking host apologised for the misunderstanding!
The room had air-con and tv. A tiny ensuite had towels and minimal toiletires. Shower/tub combo was cramped but water fine. Futons were comfy, i did find the pillow too hard thou.

I requested the breakfast - Japanese style only - and you should try it! The lady was so kind and the English-speaking gentleman explained what each item was.
I didn't see any other tourists but it was so close to the station, you should give it a try if you want to save money!

• Liked — Traditional Japanese breakfast, Inexpensive
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel New Matsuo? Share your experiences!